I need the best hand cream money can buy!

(80 Posts)
Elfontheedge Sun 27-Jan-13 10:00:14

I've got dry scabby flaky fingers exacerbated by washing up. Yuk. Will spend a bit if it really works but within reason!

lifeistooshorttodrinkcheapwine Mon 28-Jan-13 09:07:10

Another vote for purenuffstuff and also try hand cream from www.handmadenaturals.co.uk . I think that the chemicals put into hand creams and beauty products like perfume, preservatives and silicones etc can actually be counter productive and DRY your hands.
Once I started using natural products my hands, face etc are loads better.

EllenParsons Mon 28-Jan-13 02:10:36

Body shop almond oil hand cream. Works really well and smells gorgeous.

dontyouwantmebaby Mon 28-Jan-13 01:38:35

another Clarins hand cream fan here, sinks in beautifully and does the job.

plus another vote for the Body Shop hemp cream, does same as Clarins albeit with a different scent. Both brilliant.

Arisbottle Mon 28-Jan-13 00:03:29

I have a lovely Liz Earle one.

I also have a cuticle butter from Lush which is good.

ScrambledSmegs Mon 28-Jan-13 00:01:53

Neutrogena has worked for me up to this winter - new baby therefore constant hand washing plus central heating etc. Baby has dry, sensitive skin too, and she was prescribed a massive tub of Diprobase. Sadly she can't use it (too sensitive shock), but it's bloody amazing hand cream for me!

I also recommend L'Occitane Almond exfoliating paste - will help smooth the rough skin on your hands while moisturising amazingly. And smells divine. Will help your hands absorb whatever amazing cream you choose to apply to them no end.

(I'm so buying loads of the stuff recommended on this thread. It all sounds so good)

PrettyVacant1 Sun 27-Jan-13 23:13:07

Another vote for The Body Shop Hemp hand protector.
It puts a barrier on your hands and is excellent and very rich if that's what you need.
There's also a new hand cream range that is lighter and smells less earthy than hemp.
It's called Absinthe.
Fantastic stuff.

TheSecondComing Sun 27-Jan-13 22:48:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sausagesandwich34 Sun 27-Jan-13 22:45:49

Atrix intensive -it's an oldy but a goody

also Aldi make their own and it's fantastic especially considering the price

Wolfiefan Sun 27-Jan-13 22:45:24

Neutrogena. Fantastic.
Gloves in a bottle is not a hand cream but a barrier that prevents further drying. I use it under hand cream.
Gloves when washing up or out in cold weather.
Body shop also do hemp oil for hands.
Flexitol felt nice but didn't soak in IYSWIM. Ditto liz Earle and clarins.

theoriginalandbestrookie Sun 27-Jan-13 22:41:48

Clarins but not the SPF stuff. Have loved it for years.

Ambi Sun 27-Jan-13 22:40:24

I've used Neutrogena which is good but Lidl have just started selling their own brand hand creams and they have an intensive one called SOS hand concentrate which is really good. Its briefly greasy then feels soft afterwards.

Lovecat Sun 27-Jan-13 22:39:28

I bought some Dr Hauschka cream in Space NK a few years back for my mum, who suffers from dry cracked hands. She rang me up a week later absolutely over the moon - she badly scalded her thumb and the side of her hand when she was young and it has been red and scaly for as long as I can remember - within a week of applying that stuff it was healed.

mamalovesmojitos Sun 27-Jan-13 22:35:45

Neutrogena. Find it better than l'occitane.

AmandaPayne Sun 27-Jan-13 22:33:47

Neutrogena for me. I have tried lots of posh brands, including lots of those recommended here, and find them useless. Ok for keeping hands in good condition, but no good for serious repair.

The other thing I do for serious repair is the L'Occitane pure shea butter (in a tin, not the hand cream). Slather on in massive thick layer when you will be watching tv for an hour or so and wipe of any excess if and when you need to. A thick layer and gloves before bed is even better, but I tend to be up in teh night with the kids, so don't.

Elfontheedge Sun 27-Jan-13 22:27:05

Oh my so many answers! Lots of things to try. Oh you guys!

Nivea blue tub!! Cream of all creams!

TigerseyeMum Sun 27-Jan-13 20:49:59

Devotee of L'ocitane but recently switched to Neals Yard honey bee one and it's just as good.

Also Flexitol is good.

StuntNun Sun 27-Jan-13 19:30:09

Aveeno Hand Cream with Colloidal Oatmeal worked a treat for me when I was washing my hands all the time with having a newborn.

VBisme Sun 27-Jan-13 18:00:07

Definitely use heavy duty wasking up gloves, and put hand cream on before you wash up, the heat hepls the cream absorb into your skin.

TheBeanAndTheBee Sun 27-Jan-13 17:56:36

Clarins is lovely IF your hands haven't got too bad. Im afraid i think neutrogena stuff is rubbish. My complete miracle cure is YuBe cream. Got given sample in space NK, have had terrible chapped hands for the past couple of weeks. Clarins, neutrogena etc have done nothing. Remembered how good this stuff is on very chapped lips and tried it yesterday on my hands. Have gone from red, chapped, horrible hands back to normal in less than 24 hours. Amazing stuff.

JimbosJetSet Sun 27-Jan-13 17:45:07

Have you considered just getting someone else to do the washing up? wink

twentythirteen Sun 27-Jan-13 17:45:03

Khiels for dry and callused areas. I used to save this for just that but now use it regularly on hands AND face because it is so good.

letseatgrandma Sun 27-Jan-13 17:27:10
lizzypuffs Sun 27-Jan-13 17:26:53

Ive tried them all...clarins wins every time.

spottymoo Sun 27-Jan-13 17:25:30

Clairns hand and nail cream is fab received this for Christmas as well as a soap & glory manicure set that comes with a hand cream and a hand mask with gloves although haven't tried this yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now