The phrase "Breton top" makes me heave

(176 Posts)
MaureenShit Sun 27-Jan-13 07:34:39

No one says this in rl. They say "a stripey t shirt " fgs

PlumSykes Sun 27-Jan-13 10:35:14

You'd love my look today, Big Mo. Breton, skinnies, red lip. I am channeling Riviera chic, an homage to Bardot. Albeit one teamed with a sheepskin slipper, and a pop of silver in my hair.

YouOldSlag Sun 27-Jan-13 10:41:28

Maureen - if you want an argument or a moan go on AIBU. This is style and beauty and they can use whatever jargon they like. They are peaceful people who like clothes and smell nice. Its hardly toxic behaviour.

I coped with MN much better when I learnt to use the hide button.

But she's not taking the piss out of fashion silliness generally is she, she is talking specifically about these boards and therefore the people on them.

The nice thing about these boards is you get a lot of women, who, for some reason or another (usually children) have lost their way a bit. They post, and lots of helpful people advise and encourage. That to me is the point of S&B, as well as a general enthusiasm for fashion and beauty products in general. Sneery, shitty threads are divisive and undermine the overall positivity of this topic. That sort of thing is best saved for AIBU.

chartreuse Sun 27-Jan-13 10:43:19

Dona maureen is the wicked stepmother of S&B, she loves to stir things up and then sits back cackling as posters squabble.

Best to treat her as you would an annoying toddler - ignore, ignore, ignore wink

Marylou2 Sun 27-Jan-13 10:50:26

I have two "Breton top" drawers reserved exclusively for Maureen's favourite items!

Lizzywishes Sun 27-Jan-13 10:55:31

I need a new hair dryer - any recommendations? Thanks!

Lizzywishes Sun 27-Jan-13 10:55:53

Wrong thread sorry!

DillyTante Sun 27-Jan-13 11:00:07

I don't even know what a Breton top is! Should there be some sort of test you have to pass before being allowed to post of S&B. I've also never really understood what a shift dress is, and I had to google a Henley.

bettybleep Sun 27-Jan-13 11:18:52

I imagined that a Breton top was different to a stripey T shirt, in that it was loose fit, cotton, boat neck, and maybe 3/4 sleeved...as opposed to a stripey T shirt which is more fitted, with round or V neck...short, capped or long sleeves.
What's the hide button?

scarlet76 Sun 27-Jan-13 11:36:45

The way we women can turn on eachother over what we call 'a top with horizontal lines' grin
I come and read, and comment, in S&B for a bit of entertainment and to switch off from the stresses of everyday life. If a thread doesn't interest me, I don't read it. Why would I?
S&B is what it is... a place to talk about our clothes and our likes. I like hearing what others are wearing. I like making suggestions as to what others could wear. It's hardly rocket science.
Shoot me now.

AmazingDisgrace Sun 27-Jan-13 11:48:40

I say Maureen should be banned She's obviously a troll and just trying to ruin it for all the nice people. Actually, "she" is probably a hairy trucker from Wigan. grin

LesBOFerables Sun 27-Jan-13 11:51:43

You seem to get awfully upset about things which, in the grand scheme of things, are really quite trivial, Maureen. Are you quite well?

ExRatty Sun 27-Jan-13 11:52:36

Bretons are done, stripey tops or not

I love the What Are You Wearing threads. I like striped tops too - I have lots but only one of them could be described as Breton style. I like ballet flats too.

I hate 'stabby' - it makes me want to hurt people.

And we need Maureen on S&B so leave her alone. We have to be able to laugh at her gold leggings every now and then. And she sometimes 'sources' wink nice things in M&S, which is becoming an extremely difficult job nowadays.

ExRatty Sun 27-Jan-13 11:58:45

Also a whole bunch of you need to iron the bunch out of your panties
Style and beauty is full of comedy sayings

LesBOFerables Sun 27-Jan-13 12:02:38

"...or start your own forum", says Dona grinwink. Love it. I think the fashion section in Moldies must be hideously dull.

noddyholder Sun 27-Jan-13 12:22:40

Now now. I say breton and ballet flats grin But I would never stoop to 'getting my colours done' wink

AmazingDisgrace Sun 27-Jan-13 12:23:23

It'll be bootcut jeans on there and wolf fleeces

noddyholder Sun 27-Jan-13 12:23:52

Maureen no one really says copy either they say 'in magazines' grin

blue2711 Sun 27-Jan-13 12:29:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AmazingDisgrace Sun 27-Jan-13 12:29:53

Really Maureen though, my SN child is obsessed with stripes. If he read this he'd cry. You really need to think about things a bit more before you post your bile

SpringHeeledJack Sun 27-Jan-13 12:38:50

'breton' 'stripy top' psha

I just say nautique

Or 'Nautical but nice'

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 27-Jan-13 13:37:33

Hello hello
Peace and love
or actually since this is S&B in the words of Tyra
Fierce and love
Thanks
MNHQ

CarriedAwayAnnie Sun 27-Jan-13 14:39:13

Will you think of the children Maureen!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now