What can I wear instead of fake tan to make my skin look nice on my wedding day?

(25 Posts)
Curtsey Sun 27-Jan-13 09:48:56

Oh good idea scripsi.

scripsi Sun 27-Jan-13 01:51:40

My first thought was a lovely illuminator but had trouble with illuminators reflecting colours around me. I had some lovely prescriptives (I think) illuminator which looked great on my arms and gave a dewy look but reflected a large red painting, so I looked a bit sunburned on one side in photos.
I've heard that some people use revlon colorstay on legs and arms for coverage (and you can go very pale in that if you don't want any colour). It really doesn't budge.

TheBeanAndTheBee Sat 26-Jan-13 20:51:50

I bought the this works miracle legs, and as much as I like most of their products I was really disappointed in it. Sally Hansen stuff is better!

Lexiesinclair Sat 26-Jan-13 19:44:52

I am very pale and just use a bit of Dove gradual tanner every few days. It just gives me a bit of a natural 'glow' and takes away the pastiness without ever looking unnatural or tanned.

Bella88 Sat 26-Jan-13 19:41:32
Bella88 Sat 26-Jan-13 19:39:45

Now I can't vouch for this personally but I've got the face version and it's fab!

http://www.thisworks.com/body/category/legs/perfect-legs-skin-miracle.html

JamInMyWellies Sat 26-Jan-13 19:30:48

I am going to a wedding soon in SA and am very pale think corned beef legs. I spoke to my beauty therapist the other day and said I want a bit of colour as I will be wearing shorts after a winter of jeans and then straight into a dress and shorts. I told her I am terrified of being towie orange. Her salon use St Tropez and she said that the formulas are very different these days and that she can do a very light misting so that I have a bit of a glow but no orange. Call your local beauty salon and see what they say.

Congratulations by the way.

Lambzig Sat 26-Jan-13 18:22:34

I like Air Stocking which is like the Sally Hansen, but I think better (in the pale colour), its goes on really evenly and is rainproof, only seems to come off when you use shower gel. Can be hard to get hold of though. I am a pale skinned redhead and it comes up very natural on me. Whatever you do, dont buy Nye Legs (similar thing) if you are pale skinned, the palest shade they do is orange on pale skin.

Curtsey Sat 26-Jan-13 18:16:39

Sunbeds absolutely not an option for me. But I don't judge, I went on them a few times in my very early 20s!

Curtsey Sat 26-Jan-13 18:12:40

Thank you all. Sounds like Sally Hansen worth a trial. Yeah no I'm not looking for any kind of fake tan - it wouldn't look right with my dress, all I want is something to make my skin look nicer - fresher, glowier, and more even. The dress is short and I need to minimise the plucked chicken effect smile

carbondated Sat 26-Jan-13 14:25:18

I tried Sally Hansen stuff for the first time last summer at nephew's wedding and was very pleased with the result. I have sickly looking skin, esp on legs and with this stuff on I didn't look brown but no longer resembled one of the undead. I used the light one but next time might go for medium. I just rubbed it in and it went on nicely and evenly. I can't use any fake tan without it looking dreadful.

If you use Sally Hansen - apply it with a tanning mitt which gives a better result.

DonaAna Sat 26-Jan-13 12:59:21

Do you follow Perilously Pale?
Lots of great recommendations there. Worth checking her instagram too.

DieWilde13 Sat 26-Jan-13 11:03:57

I, too, am very pale. I have to admit that a couple of weeks before the wedding I started using sun beds. I only went once a week, did not get tanned but started to look healthier.

I can't believe I am actually saying this, I haven't been on a sun bed since... <hides in shame>

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 26-Jan-13 10:58:15

I've used the Sally Hansen stuff, roughly 15mins before going out for Boxing Day lunch. Turned out just fine.

I think well moisturised, nourished skin looks nicer than orange skin anyway.

I used Sally Hansen airbrush legs on my legs as I had shorter skirt and benefit bathina balm on my arms etc

MadAboutHotChoc Sat 26-Jan-13 09:16:13

If you wear the right coloured dress for your colouring, you shouldn't need fake tan.

I am a "winter", have very pale skin, dark hair and blue eyes and can wear white and not look washed out.

I never use fake tan unless I am wearing shorts and need a bit of colour on my legs.

NotAllItsCrackedUpToBe Sat 26-Jan-13 09:08:56

I asked this question a while ago as I am pale too and was wearing a lbd to my Christmas do so risked looking ghostly. I used Sally Hansen Airbrush Legs and was pleased with the effect. You spray it into your palm and rub it on so can blend it pretty easily. I used the palest colour.

It did not come off on clothes -or bedsheets- either.

TheBeanAndTheBee Sat 26-Jan-13 08:28:16

I am also very pale skinned, for my wedding, and in fact most of the time when I can be bothered I use a Clarins after sun with a bit of fake tan in. One application doesn't make me look orange, or tanned really, but it makes me look healthier! You still have to follow all the self tan rules, but the result is very very subtle. But echo what a poster said above. Practise!

Curtsey Sat 26-Jan-13 08:13:26

practise
<slurps tea>

Curtsey Sat 26-Jan-13 08:12:29

Thanks for the ideas. Yes I'd heard that the MAC stuff looks great, but would also worry about rubbing off! Anais, also heard good things about Sally Hansen but I can't believe that I won't spray it on unevenly? And that there'll be patches and stuff? (I suppose the answer is to buy a can and practice, isn't it smile)

Also: I had Benefit's Kitten powder puff thing as a youngster - but I'm wondering if spangled skin is considered a bit naff these days? wink

AnaisB Sat 26-Jan-13 08:06:47

Sally hansen airbrush legs is ace. It takes a minute or two yo dry and won't rub off. You could try it in the palest shade.

domesticslattern Sat 26-Jan-13 08:03:14

Slebs use MAC face and body makeup. I'd be worried about it rubbing off though on me gown...

ZacharyQuack Sat 26-Jan-13 07:59:39

How about an illuminating primer? Or mix a bit of highlighter with nice body lotion or oil?

Curtsey Sat 26-Jan-13 07:55:40

Am v. pale with freckles. Am not adverse to a very light application of Garnier Summer Body moisturiser in summer - in fact it makes me look glowier and healthier - but IME any kind of self-tanner seems to really show up orange in photos? Plus, I think the dress I'm wearing (it's not a wedding dress) calls for the pale and interesting look. But what I can wear to look less dead, less blue-veined, grey-skinned, etc. etc.? My legs in particular could do with a bit of a boost.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now