How to make winter colours look expensive?

(64 Posts)
MrsMarcus Fri 25-Jan-13 15:45:56

Ok, so got my colours done by HOC and turns out I’m a winter. A bit of a surprise as I’m blonde with blue eyes so not exactly your classic raven haired winter a la Liv Tyler.

My difficulty is that after years of cultivating my very boring but safe look of “classic elegance” (think cream tops with blue/khaki trousers, brown loafers, tan accessories, camel coats, understated gold jewellery etc) I’m at a loss at how to achieve the same expensive look with the bright winter colours. My best colours as per HOC are brilliant white, charcoal gray but also very bright magenta and emerald green. The consultant said my jewellery should be sparkly silver coloured and shoes, bags etc black rather than brown.

How do I make the bright winter colours look expensive and classic without it costing the earth? I have allocated a small budget for my make over but still can’t afford actual expensive so will have to be a little bit creative. My main problem is black leather for shoes and bags which to me always tends to look cheaper than brown leather (though maybe I’m just a bit stuck in my ways?). I’m very comfortable with my “style” so it’s just the colours that I need to change somehow but don’t know how, I don’t want to end up looking trashy/cheap/blingy.

Any winters out there who can help me? Any celeb examples I could use as inspiration?

fuckadoodlepoopoo Sun 27-Jan-13 10:41:47

Ok so it sounds like Im not winter if i can't wear black? Its more complicated than i expected!

It costs so much to get it done!

MadAboutHotChoc Sun 27-Jan-13 10:54:47

If you can't wear black, you are definitely NOT a winter.

fuckadoodlepoopoo Sun 27-Jan-13 12:34:44

Arg! Its so confusing! I just had another look and it would seem that each of the other colour palettes have colours in which i know don't suit me! I don't seem to fit any of them!

Some say you can't be this if you have brown eyes bla bla bla.

fuckadoodlepoopoo Sun 27-Jan-13 13:07:10

The only ones that say you can have brown eyes are the autumn ones yet those palettes are full of colours which i know don't suit me!

Starting to think that putting people in these groups doesn't really work.

Hopefully Sun 27-Jan-13 20:41:53

The only thing that works is a proper draping. Honestly. Otherwise you may as well pick a palette you like and just run with it - you've got as much chance of getting it right as you have with doing one of those online quiz things.

FWIW I have had winters with everything from white blonde to black hair, and summers with brown eyes, and autumns with blue eyes, and I am a v pale skinned, dark dark haired bright eyed Autumn (ie I look exactly like a winter until I am draped).

Hopefully Sun 27-Jan-13 20:43:43

And MrsM I have no problem at all believing in a blue eyes blonde Winter. I know two of them, and they need the bright cool clarity of Winter and look amazing. It's an incredibly striking, expensive, look.

My lovely fellow consultant Paula is a blonde Winter

I look like a Winter until I'm draped, then I'm a Summer. In online quizzes, I'm an Autumn or a Winter.

MrsMarcus Mon 28-Jan-13 12:33:50

Well, it was a proper HoC consultant who did my analysis and she took ages over it (a good few hours), draping all the fabrics round my face, doing the make up etc. As I said in my original post, I was very surprised at the outcome as I had always thought I would never be a winter (or an autumn) based on all the stuff online.

She did say I was a cool/cold/icy winter (or something along those lines) and that I should go for a high contrast look. I do look very Scandinavian with pale skin, blue eyes and blond hair.

The only colours on the winter palette that didn't work for me were the yellows.

Think I just have to trust the expert!

CashmereHoodlum Mon 28-Jan-13 13:20:54

I've just been looking on the HoC website and I have a question. When you get the wallet of swatches, how many are there? I have been trying to figure out which colours suit me and so far I have only discovered 2! I have been toying with the idea of having this done but only if it will help me wear a wider range of colours.

Did you have it done in a group? That is the other thing putting me off!

Hopefully Mon 28-Jan-13 13:44:18

You get a swatch book of 36 colours, but your consultant will show you how to wear not just those but all the colours that tone and harmonise with them.

Hopefully Mon 28-Jan-13 13:44:57

Oh, and it is generally done as part f a group, but many HoC consultants will do one to one (I do, and I'm far from alone!)

CashmereHoodlum Mon 28-Jan-13 13:48:55

Thanks Hopefully.

QueenCadbury Mon 28-Jan-13 13:54:07

hopefully or travelincolour, I don't suppose either of you work in or near Bristol?

I'm in Chichester, Hopefully is in Devon. smile

Hopefully Mon 28-Jan-13 13:58:45

Queen I am SW, but about an hour from Bristol. travel is bloody miles away in the SE (I know this because I used to live practically next door to her). Feel free to PM either of us.

Hopefully Mon 28-Jan-13 13:59:02

Lol, x posts!

sazpops Mon 28-Jan-13 14:06:51

Sorry to hijack the post, but a quick question - I had my colours done years ago and was an autumn (which was all the colours I always wore anyway - so far so good), but now I'm in my fifties my hair and skin colour have changed, so should I have them done again, or 'once an autumn always an autumn'? thanks.

MadAboutHotChoc Mon 28-Jan-13 14:07:26

Not only will they tell you which colours out of your season palette you can wear, they will also advise you which ones are your best ones and how much of each colour you can wear and where (e.g below waist, as a top etc).

Hopefully Mon 28-Jan-13 14:20:33

saz you won't have changed season, but quite often people's best colours within their season change over time, so if you're feeling a bit lost a re-rate or even just a chat with your consultant can help.

grin
As Hopefully says, it may be that the best colours on you are different. Often older Autumns find that moss gets a bit draining, for example, and the lighter greens are better.

sazpops Mon 28-Jan-13 14:32:25

hopefully and travel - many thanks, that's helpful.I really like the autumn colours so I think I'll just experiment a bit more with different shades.

fuckadoodlepoopoo Mon 28-Jan-13 16:17:28

One thing I've noticed from looking online is that quite a lot of people have posted saying that they had their colours done and were told they were an x, then had it done again and were told y.

Its hard to have faith in the consultants when that seems to happen a lot.

doodle I think it would probably be a self-selecting group. No one who is happy with their season would have it done again.
Some companies offer more training that others. I am sure some people are done wrongly and then go to a different company for another go if they are unhappy.

lalalonglegs Mon 28-Jan-13 19:11:42

God, I do think this colours thing is a load of guff. Wear what you like and you think looks good on you. Sod the opinion of some know-all madam with swatches.

Hopefully Mon 28-Jan-13 19:29:10

Which is absolutely fabulous, if you know exactly what looks good on you and have absolutely no problems putting together a well edited, multi-tasking and interesting wardrobe in your best palette, in your style and 100% of which makes you feel amazing. Some women (me included) like a little outside input to get us on the right path. I think that's ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now