Red hair dye that actually works on dark brown hair

(29 Posts)
YoSaffBridge Thu 24-Jan-13 21:17:12

Is this actually just some form of mythical beast?

I swear I've tried pretty much every hair dye out there! From a brief flick through the Boots site, I have used L'Oreal Preference, Feria, tonight I tried that new Garnier Olia, each time I've used whatever colour looks like it will be a strong, obvious red. I think I've even tried an XXL red. I've got naturally quite dark brown hair, and I just want something that looks a vaguely natural-ish red. Not bloody purple like I'm getting every time. I look like I'm using Wella Plum Mousse sad

I can't afford to get it done professionally, I haven't got time to try a trainee anywhere, home dye is about all I have time for. And I don't really want to do a pre-lightner as if it goes wrong I will look really stupid.

Is this the universe trying to tell me to go back to black instead, or is there a red hair dye that actually works?

ratbagcatbag Tue 29-Jan-13 21:37:22

Haha, nope. I'm east mids, she works for T&G but has been a friend of mine for years so sorts me out.

I've just checked, my hair dye doesn't have a number, but its absolutely Majicontrast - Rouge Magenta.

Tell you Hairdresser thats what you want next time, with peroxide as described above and on for 45 mins, I've had it for about 1 year (and on and off previously before that) redone every five to six weeks smile

ceeveebee Tue 29-Jan-13 21:43:34

I had my dark brown hair dyed red with 6.66 - don't know the brand, it was done by headmasters in soho - had to pre lighten first and then was a very vibrant red - but it fades quickly and so needs regular maintenance

ratbagcatbag Tue 29-Jan-13 21:45:29

I think that's the maji stuff to Ceevee, because I don't prelighten but have the peroxide in, it doens't fade quite as quickly, so is still bright red after six weeks, just not the vibrant red it is for 3 - 4 smile

kirsty144 Thu 26-Feb-15 15:45:55

Use l'oreal hicolour higlight red for dark hair but you will also need to buy the solution to mix with I guarantee it will work but you may need to buy two amd do ot twice for the best reault.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now