Red hair dye that actually works on dark brown hair

(28 Posts)
YoSaffBridge Thu 24-Jan-13 21:17:12

Is this actually just some form of mythical beast?

I swear I've tried pretty much every hair dye out there! From a brief flick through the Boots site, I have used L'Oreal Preference, Feria, tonight I tried that new Garnier Olia, each time I've used whatever colour looks like it will be a strong, obvious red. I think I've even tried an XXL red. I've got naturally quite dark brown hair, and I just want something that looks a vaguely natural-ish red. Not bloody purple like I'm getting every time. I look like I'm using Wella Plum Mousse sad

I can't afford to get it done professionally, I haven't got time to try a trainee anywhere, home dye is about all I have time for. And I don't really want to do a pre-lightner as if it goes wrong I will look really stupid.

Is this the universe trying to tell me to go back to black instead, or is there a red hair dye that actually works?

ratbagcatbag Tue 29-Jan-13 21:37:22

Haha, nope. I'm east mids, she works for T&G but has been a friend of mine for years so sorts me out.

I've just checked, my hair dye doesn't have a number, but its absolutely Majicontrast - Rouge Magenta.

Tell you Hairdresser thats what you want next time, with peroxide as described above and on for 45 mins, I've had it for about 1 year (and on and off previously before that) redone every five to six weeks smile

ceeveebee Tue 29-Jan-13 21:43:34

I had my dark brown hair dyed red with 6.66 - don't know the brand, it was done by headmasters in soho - had to pre lighten first and then was a very vibrant red - but it fades quickly and so needs regular maintenance

ratbagcatbag Tue 29-Jan-13 21:45:29

I think that's the maji stuff to Ceevee, because I don't prelighten but have the peroxide in, it doens't fade quite as quickly, so is still bright red after six weeks, just not the vibrant red it is for 3 - 4 smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now