How is Mary Berry tying that scarf?

(23 Posts)
ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Thu 24-Jan-13 21:43:02

Come and join us on the gardening threads then and do some armchair gardening! I'm off to Google Toggi boots.

Ladyflip Thu 24-Jan-13 21:38:42

My legs are huge shapelier than some and fit in fine; they are Toggi I think, not Dubarry but they are fabulously warm and don't look too much like wellies if I end up wearing them on the school run.

I don't actually live in the farmyard, but in a cottage down the lane (farmhouse still occupied by ILs) but I am a genuine farmer's wife. I also have a real job, which is professional and means I can't wear wellies all day.

I'd love to get a handle on the garden this year; haven't even dared to look at the gardening boards, and with small children/job/farm it's fallen to the bottom of the to do pile.
It's typical of me to post about s and b and then end up talking about wellies and gardens though!

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Thu 24-Jan-13 21:18:17

Lexy and I know each other from the 'first rule of garden club' and its predecessors. Do come and have a look.

I am obsessed with gardens and my garden in particular. My weekend uniform in gardening season (which I think will start in about a fortnight) is tatty denim skirt, horticultural society sweatshirt, lovely French gardening apron and Primarni wellies. This is why I rarely contribute to S&B threads.

I do like the idea of leather wellies. Do they cater for the fat of leg shapelier calf?

So you live on a real working farm?

TomDudgeon Thu 24-Jan-13 21:14:38

I've always worn mine like that
I look wonky if I do both the same way
And I can't so round and round without looking weird

LexyMa Thu 24-Jan-13 21:12:23

We are... My summer uniform at weekends is cotton shorts, cheapo Town and Country wellies, vest top and puffa gilet with big pockets for secateurs. Sexy is not the word.

Ladyflip Thu 24-Jan-13 21:08:42

I now have a mental image of you with a Mary style scarf, wellies and an apron, and nothing else....maybe a hat?

Farmer's wife wellies are not pretty ones,(steel toe capped green affair in case a cow decides to stand on my foot) so have some fancy leather ones for showing off when I want to look glam wink

Are you keen gardeners?

HazeltheMcWitch Thu 24-Jan-13 21:04:33

I can tell you that Mazza Bezza's scarf was from Zara, last spring, as I have the same one.

Suspect that Claudia's top is quite a lot more expensive, however...

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Thu 24-Jan-13 21:01:13

And other garments too, of course. I, meanwhile, am deeply impressed at anyone having wellies for work and wellies for 'best'.

Ladyflip Thu 24-Jan-13 20:56:24

wellies plus gardening apron style?

I'm liking the sound of this. Wellies and I are good friends. I have two pairs, one for the farm (plastered in muck) and one for posing in.

Don't know where Claudia's top is from though Marmite

HandMini Thu 24-Jan-13 20:51:38
ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Thu 24-Jan-13 20:48:31

::waves back at Lexzy::

Perhaps we can interest these good ladies in the uber-glamorous wellies plus gardening apron style?

aftermay Thu 24-Jan-13 20:44:10

Thanks for the tip. I've just tried it and it works. I haven't seen myself in a mirror yet, too cold to get off the sofa (which is why I'm wearing a scarf indoors!)

toastandmarmiterocks Thu 24-Jan-13 20:38:54

Its on that video 25 ways to tie a scarf I think.

If you are watching GBBO, please can someone tell me where Claudia's top is from? I love it!

Ladyflip Thu 24-Jan-13 20:31:12

OOoo yes, think I've got it now. Well, if there's one place I knew I'd find the answer to a style and beauty crossed with baking question, it has to be MN. THanks ladies!

LexyMa Thu 24-Jan-13 20:29:32

::waves to Maud::

LexyMa Thu 24-Jan-13 20:28:57

<preens self>

<has a sit down in shock at making an S&B suggestion>

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Thu 24-Jan-13 20:27:42

Ladyflip - Yes, one end goes through from left to right and the other goes in from right to left.

Ladyflip Thu 24-Jan-13 20:27:02

<off to practise>

StillSmilingAfterAllTheseYears Thu 24-Jan-13 20:26:26

Ooh, I just did it now. It is quite good!

Ladyflip Thu 24-Jan-13 20:24:42

So its two ends through the loop but then just pointing in different directions?

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Thu 24-Jan-13 20:22:44

Lexy is right. ::waves to Lexy:: I have been copying the Mary Berry style since I noticed it in the last GBBO.

::fashion maven::

LexyMa Thu 24-Jan-13 20:20:57

Ooh oooh i know this one! my mum has been doing it for months. I bet it was shown in Good Housekeeping magazine or Country Life

You start like two ends through the loop.

But you put one end through the loop in one direction and the other the opposite. Really good for keeping chest warm as you get a sort of flat plait effect

Ladyflip Thu 24-Jan-13 20:13:12

Watching GBBO for comic relief and Mary has tied her scarf in an unusual way. I can usually only manage the "two ends through the loop" or "round and round" method. Any suggestions on how she has achieved this?

I know this is dull but I need to know!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now