Breast Milk Jewlerry

(66 Posts)
Emo76 Thu 24-Jan-13 08:34:29
MrsBungleBear Fri 25-Jan-13 14:52:35

grin at spunky gems!

I liked breast feeding. I have zero desire to save my milk in a pendant though!

MikeOxardInTheSnow Fri 25-Jan-13 14:45:10

Wow, they even do cuff links! So your adult son can wear them presumably? Awesome... If you want him to never have a girlfriend and look like a wierd mummy's boy! Fair enough if this is your thing, get a neclace (/medal) for yourself, but not for the kids, please!!

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Fri 25-Jan-13 14:22:34

In fact, a plain-ish oval pendant with milk blobs (no names) might look quite cool teamed with a YSL arty ring.

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Fri 25-Jan-13 14:19:46

Lord. I LOVE them. Kooky and kitch. Beautiful.

Fishandjam Fri 25-Jan-13 13:22:08

Lost, by your post I'm the target market for this - I love BFing. But I don't like those pendants (ugly and tacky in design) and I also don't feel the need to enshrine some of my milk in plastic to "define myself".

Does anyone else think she ditches the breastmilk and just has a selection of translucent beads she uses?

People who used formula could sent in a bag of ready mixed SMA wink

Lostonthemoors Fri 25-Jan-13 11:21:52

Actually tbh much as I love bf I've been looking again and while I love the idea, I think I've decided the stuff itself is a bit naff!! I would prefer a little paperweight like the red pendant with bm heart.

Well, this is S & B and opinions on whether an item is stylish or beautiful are the lifeblood of this part of the board. Those necklace IMO are neither stylish or beautiful.

polyhymnia Fri 25-Jan-13 10:35:43

Fwiw I feel exactly the same as bunbaker about breastfeeding.

But these experiences are very personal and feelings one way or the other very strong - one reason I never venture on the various threads on here which deal with pregnancy, breastfeeding, working and SAH mums, etc, but just enjoy myself in S and B (and occasionally film and TV threads).

Still think those necklaces are tacky and yuk though!

Bunbaker Fri 25-Jan-13 10:33:37

That link makes interesting reading. I didn't have any of those feelings except the tingling when it was time to feed DD, but that was before she started feeding, not during. DD never had a strong suck so maybe that was why I didn't get a surge of hormones. It never made me feel emotional either. It was just something I did.

I wonder why it is so different for different women?

valiumredhead Fri 25-Jan-13 10:23:08

I only managed to BF ds twice as he was prem and found latching on really hard BUT I do remember a massive rush of something -relief, euphoria, some sort of feeling flooded my body? I can still remember it vividly nearly 12 years on.

Lostonthemoors Fri 25-Jan-13 10:21:23

X posted with you! Didn't read it as rude, just surprised!

Lostonthemoors Fri 25-Jan-13 10:20:03

Hi Bun, I think some people do just feel its not massively exciting. Some people actively dislike it.

The link below from a database of comments about bf suggest it's not just me who gets the joyful feeling:

www.healthtalkonline.org/pregnancychildren/Breastfeeding/Topic/1060/

Bunbaker Fri 25-Jan-13 10:15:55

Sorry, my last post must have come across as rather rude. I simply didn't realise that breastfeeding gave some women such a sense of euphoria because I certainly never felt like that. smile

Bunbaker Fri 25-Jan-13 10:13:06

Do some people really get a wave of euphoria when breastfeeding? Really? Perhaps I don't have enough hormones.

I didn't dislike breastfeeding, except at first when it was painful, but to me it was just a functional thing to do to get milk into DD. Just like making a cup of tea or whatever. It was a means to an end.

Lostonthemoors Fri 25-Jan-13 10:10:58

I don't think I'd want people to know it was my milk though!

Lostonthemoors Fri 25-Jan-13 10:08:33

Bun it's all just personal experiences, isn't it? I really enjoyed pg, birth and bf. Some people don't and fair enough - that's their personal experience. I met someone this week who said their pg have all been horrific and one of my bf had a third degree tear during birth. I totally accept the validity of their feelings about pg/birth, of course and I think they would accept mine, not that I've actually told them how much I enjoyed my pg or birth experience.

In the same way I know some people don't fall in love with bf and some hate it. Others like me, enjoy it very much.

I think it's partly a hormonal thing, all that oxytocin etc but I did and do often experience a wave of euphoria when feeding DS - partly the cuddling, partly the skin to skin, partly the hormonal things going on.

I think the target market for this stuff is people like me and SirBoob, rather than those who didn't particularly like bf

Bunbaker Fri 25-Jan-13 09:59:36

Exactly MissBeehiving

spunky gems grin

Agree the bodily fluids issue is not the cringeworthy element of this - it's the "I feel the need to show the world that I am defined by this one relationship/experience".

DolomitesDonkey Fri 25-Jan-13 08:55:19

In response to the "not all bodily fluids" tenuously clutching at straws statement - what would you say if I were to present my boys with signet rings containing my husband's seminal fluid because without his sperm they would never have come in to existence?

DolomitesDonkey Fri 25-Jan-13 08:54:09

I love the "closeness" of having sex with my husband - I don't however feel the need to advertise the fact by wearing spunky gems!

Bunbaker Fri 25-Jan-13 08:25:57

"but I have just loved the closeness of feeding."

I breastfed because I didn't want to bottle feed. It didn't make me feel any closer to DD, it was just a way to feed DD (and gave me a chance to sit down and watch the repeats of This Life).

I must admit I don't get this smuggery about the "wonderful feeling" that breastfeeding gives you. It didn't make me feel wonderful (especially not at first - it was pretty painful to start with). It is something you get on with to nourish your baby - end of. And I don't feel the need to tell the world that I breastfed, any more than I need to tell the world that I made toad in the hole for tea last night. I think thw whole idea is just ridiculous.

TiggerWearsATriteSmile Fri 25-Jan-13 06:54:41

Made with shells
Is missing from the end of my post above

TiggerWearsATriteSmile Fri 25-Jan-13 06:54:09

Whatever about being a bit different or whatever being made of milk.

They're cheap and ugly and look like those kids things you see for sale on the street in holiday resorts.

SirBoobAlot Thu 24-Jan-13 23:29:20

It's resin. I did find a way to do it yourself online, which was also pretty awesome.

For some people, breastfeeding is "just" a way of feeding their baby. And obviously that's fine. For others it means more than that. There are a lot of reasons why breastfeeding was - and continues to be - an important part of my life, and a beautiful thing like this is a lovely way to remember it.

Again, the comparison to other bodily fluids is ridiculous. Show me another bodily fluid that contains HAMLET cells, for example.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now