Breast Milk Jewlerry

(66 Posts)
Emo76 Thu 24-Jan-13 08:34:29
Fishandjam Thu 24-Jan-13 13:27:12

Ooh, I want a baked bean necklace!

These are a bit odd though. And the "breastfeeding defines me" thing really grinds my gruttocks.

GirlOutNumbered Thu 24-Jan-13 13:27:26

Why? Why? Why?

Is this for the mums that dry out their placentas and have them made into ornaments?!

GirlOutNumbered Thu 24-Jan-13 13:29:55

Or maybe a Placenta Teddy Bear

Lostonthemoors Thu 24-Jan-13 13:45:55

Sir boob, I'm so glad it's not just me who thinks this is quite cool.

Haven't read the article yet, but I'm very happy to stand up and be counted as a feminist and I have written some academic stuff on gender theory. I would still say bf has been a wonderful part of my life.

polyhymnia Thu 24-Jan-13 13:53:44

That article is excellent donkey.

RedPencils Thu 24-Jan-13 15:03:03

GiloutNumbered - eww eww eww
Why would anyone think that was a good idea?

So if BF defines us as a woman, does the mean if you FF your tits fall off and you grow a cock?

valiumredhead Thu 24-Jan-13 15:36:40

Oh God, something about it appeals to me and I only managed to BF ds twice grin

MarcelineTheVampireQueen Thu 24-Jan-13 15:38:25

Haven't read the article yet, but I'm very happy to stand up and be counted as a feminist and I have written some academic stuff on gender theory. I would still say bf has been a wonderful part of my life

But is it your whole life? Does it define you?

MarcelineTheVampireQueen Thu 24-Jan-13 15:39:18

midnightinmoscow grin

I was wondering what that was down there....

Overreactionoftheweek Thu 24-Jan-13 15:42:34

There's no way I would be able to keep the horrified look off my face if someone told me they were wearing their breast milk in jewellery form shock

It seems way too smug for me - but then I only managed 3 weeks of bf so maybe I'm just bitter!

Roseformeplease Thu 24-Jan-13 15:45:30

And I thought the woman I once heard of who used her breast milk to make scones was weird.....

valiumredhead Thu 24-Jan-13 15:49:24

Just to clarify, I wouldn't wear it or show it to anyone, I would just pop it in ds's baby box smile

MrsBungleBear Thu 24-Jan-13 15:49:56

Doesn't the milk go sour inside that little pendant thing? confused

MrsBungleBear Thu 24-Jan-13 15:52:18

Oh I see, it's preserved. Oh well, each to their own.

Awful. Shades of when Angelina used to wear a vial of BB Thornton's blood around her neck to demonstrate their special relationship.

SirBoobAlot Thu 24-Jan-13 23:29:20

It's resin. I did find a way to do it yourself online, which was also pretty awesome.

For some people, breastfeeding is "just" a way of feeding their baby. And obviously that's fine. For others it means more than that. There are a lot of reasons why breastfeeding was - and continues to be - an important part of my life, and a beautiful thing like this is a lovely way to remember it.

Again, the comparison to other bodily fluids is ridiculous. Show me another bodily fluid that contains HAMLET cells, for example.

TiggerWearsATriteSmile Fri 25-Jan-13 06:54:09

Whatever about being a bit different or whatever being made of milk.

They're cheap and ugly and look like those kids things you see for sale on the street in holiday resorts.

TiggerWearsATriteSmile Fri 25-Jan-13 06:54:41

Made with shells
Is missing from the end of my post above

Bunbaker Fri 25-Jan-13 08:25:57

"but I have just loved the closeness of feeding."

I breastfed because I didn't want to bottle feed. It didn't make me feel any closer to DD, it was just a way to feed DD (and gave me a chance to sit down and watch the repeats of This Life).

I must admit I don't get this smuggery about the "wonderful feeling" that breastfeeding gives you. It didn't make me feel wonderful (especially not at first - it was pretty painful to start with). It is something you get on with to nourish your baby - end of. And I don't feel the need to tell the world that I breastfed, any more than I need to tell the world that I made toad in the hole for tea last night. I think thw whole idea is just ridiculous.

DolomitesDonkey Fri 25-Jan-13 08:54:09

I love the "closeness" of having sex with my husband - I don't however feel the need to advertise the fact by wearing spunky gems!

DolomitesDonkey Fri 25-Jan-13 08:55:19

In response to the "not all bodily fluids" tenuously clutching at straws statement - what would you say if I were to present my boys with signet rings containing my husband's seminal fluid because without his sperm they would never have come in to existence?

spunky gems grin

Agree the bodily fluids issue is not the cringeworthy element of this - it's the "I feel the need to show the world that I am defined by this one relationship/experience".

Bunbaker Fri 25-Jan-13 09:59:36

Exactly MissBeehiving

Lostonthemoors Fri 25-Jan-13 10:08:33

Bun it's all just personal experiences, isn't it? I really enjoyed pg, birth and bf. Some people don't and fair enough - that's their personal experience. I met someone this week who said their pg have all been horrific and one of my bf had a third degree tear during birth. I totally accept the validity of their feelings about pg/birth, of course and I think they would accept mine, not that I've actually told them how much I enjoyed my pg or birth experience.

In the same way I know some people don't fall in love with bf and some hate it. Others like me, enjoy it very much.

I think it's partly a hormonal thing, all that oxytocin etc but I did and do often experience a wave of euphoria when feeding DS - partly the cuddling, partly the skin to skin, partly the hormonal things going on.

I think the target market for this stuff is people like me and SirBoob, rather than those who didn't particularly like bf

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now