Part 3- Fully fledged perfumistas- share your fragrances

(987 Posts)
shoeprincess2 Tue 22-Jan-13 17:27:17

Part 2 is nearly full!

florascotia Wed 13-Feb-13 21:47:23

Wow, thanks thanks thanks ProFumo!

It all sounds wonderful. I shall start saving now....

CointreauVersial Wed 13-Feb-13 22:07:17

I've had three recent deliveries from S to C, but just samples, so they dropped through the letter box with no requests for duty. Unfortunately the new postage rates have put me off future orders.

ProFumo Thu 14-Feb-13 06:21:46

Basking in the lovely milky-sweet afterglow of Tea for Two worn overnight. Another fantastic Olivia Giacobetti.
Might actually do a miniseries of her perfumes - only one Kilian left (and the new order hasn't arrived yet).

ProFumo Thu 14-Feb-13 06:27:32

A good Olivia Giacobetti interview here.

gatheringlilac Thu 14-Feb-13 07:06:06

What a wonderful interview: completely un-shy of the processes of creativity and fascinating and inspiring as a result. Thank you for that, ProFumo.

Please do a mini-series on OG ( smile ), I think she may be my favourite "nose" (a little Britishly, I flinch from seeming too OTT). In fact, I think I'm a bit of an OG groupie.

(By the way, although I mainly lurk on here, I love reading this thread in odd moments. It's a real spirit lifter. Much love to you gals.)

clb Thu 14-Feb-13 08:32:27

SL Fleurs d'Oranger last night - huge white floral (plenty of jasmine + tuberose as well as the orange blossom) still lingering a little this morning. Really enjoyable and got a huge smile and a "you smell delicious" from DH. I couldn't get the cumin that's supposed to be in there too but will try applying again this morning now that I'm fully awake.

Oh, and it's from a Les Senteurs sample, in case that's helpful to anyone.

ProFumo Thu 14-Feb-13 08:51:31

Lilac another OG groupie here grin
Have you tried the natural Honore des Pres line?
They are very girly, not as quirky as her more serious work, but an easy port-of-entry to people new to perfume. I have a sample of Love les carottes somewhere and quite like it.

One of the big reasons why I like L'Artisan a lot is that they have a so many stunning OGs. The opening of Tea for Two somehow reminds me of Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille. A similar autumnal feel of dead leaves and warmth. Side by side, TV is much sweeter and boozier, a heavy hitter, shawl-like, almost suffocating. TfT is gauzier, more tannic and down-to-earth. A bit like brother and sister smile

Clb fantastic fragrance. Happy DH is on board too grin

coffeeinbed Thu 14-Feb-13 09:21:39

Isabelle when you try Beach go for the oil.
The other versions can be a bit harsh, the oil always gets "oh, you smell lovely , it reminds me of something!" response.

LetsFaceTheMusicAndDance Thu 14-Feb-13 12:39:35

Isabelle If you want a holiday smell, Creed's Virgin Island Water is it. John Lewis stock it. For me, it's happiness in a bottle and it smells utterly gorgeous on. Two of my friends bought a bottle as they liked it on me, but it smelled yuck on them - so definitely try before you buy. It develops beautifully through the day.

CointreauVersial Thu 14-Feb-13 12:55:17

Pro Fumo, I like the fact that Tea for Two stays with you all day; you get little smoky wafts right until the evening.

I am wearing Fat Electrician at work today (I work for an electrical engineering company, so quite a few electricians around, though mostly slimline). Coincidentally, while chatting in the kitchen with a couple of colleagues, the subject of fragrance came up. Well, of course I had to share! I sent a few of them the link to the ELdO website, and there was much oohing and aahing (and giggling) at the names and descriptions. Someone asked me how on earth I'd stumbled upon it, but I kept that one to myself....wink

ProFumo Thu 14-Feb-13 13:14:16

Cointreau I'm almost certain you will receive a group gift of Putain des Palaces or Vraie Blonde (have you seen the logos) from your darling coworkers grin

When I ordered the ELdO box of samples, they were accidentally delivered to my summer address, c/o my elderly aunts. The samples look like condom wrappers and have those - ahem - interesting drawings on them. Still mortified blush

ProFumo Thu 14-Feb-13 13:25:48

If anyone prefers more discreet (and cheap!) ELdO samples, try here. 700 HUF = 2 GBP each. Recommended seller.

IsabelleRinging Thu 14-Feb-13 14:37:37

Thanks for the tips everyone.

Wearing Iris Nobile, on my second sample of this, may have to splash on a full bottle soon. keep respraying because the opening is my favourite stage of this scent.

florascotia Thu 14-Feb-13 15:24:42

Afternoon all! This is getting dangerous.... grin Have just splashed out on lots of lovely samples from Neroli in Hungary. As ProFumo says, ordering is easy - and the descriptions of each scent are most inviting. I can't wait for the package to arrive.

Fuzzybirds Thu 14-Feb-13 16:34:42

You ladies are making my 'to try' list grow again...I have a big summer shaped gap in my collection, a citrus or beachy type scent would fit nicely.

Trying Lipstick Rose today- I love the opening but it's not lasting as long as I would like. It's faded to a faint scented plastic baby doll head type smell now, nice enough but not sure if I would splash out on a FB...maybe a decant at some point.

Harbinger I am also a bit split when it comes my perfume loves, to tell the truth, there is not one group of fragrances I dislike. There is only one perfume I've found so far I can't wear and that's more to do with it being someone else's 'signature' so I associate it with being the smell of them.

You're so right Flora, this is one of the most addictive and expensive hobbies I've ever had! At least my nearest and dearest will know what to get me for Christmas this year though...

ProFumo Thu 14-Feb-13 17:14:25

Fellow addicts ladies, stick to samples and decants and swap a lot! This way this hobby won't bankrupt you. Also take advantage of possibilities to sample for free - I often make a quick detour to a shop tester on my way to something different and raid duty frees at airports. If you live near another perfumista, you can split orders (to save on p&p), sample sets and even FBs (decanting supplies on eBay). I go to meetups every now and then (perfumistas are such smart, funny, interesting people). Many make small samples for friends from their new bottles - and many of you have already tried mail swaps (or what we call 'Secret Perfume Friend' - someone just sends you surprises to cheer you up).

As an addict, you are also a sought-after customer. Forge a relationship with a SA - you'll get lots of interesting samples. Talk to them. Many SAs know nothing, but those who do will tell you interesting things.

Flora, well done - that was quick grin. I've such exquisite things from Neroli - they have some hard-to-source things. Hope you will have some great moments with new perfumes.

Fuzzy most people have much broader tastes than what they think. Feminine mainstream is just so distorted and limited - very few good woody, spicy and green options and chypres almost gone.

ProFumo Thu 14-Feb-13 17:40:29

Inspiration for all rose perfume lovers here.
Happy Valentine's Day everyone!

Haberdashery Thu 14-Feb-13 20:37:47

This is all getting rather expensive. I really NEED full bottles of L'Air du Desert, Eau d'Epices, Zeta and Knize Ten.

Happy Valentine's Day!

niminypiminy Thu 14-Feb-13 20:47:08

I've been wearing Rose Chypree today -- I like it, particularly in the first couple of hours, when it's a haunting, rather melancholy rose. I had a bath earlier and washed it off, and am now wearing Après L'Ondee, which is similarly poignant.

I liked Timbuktu a lot. Very incensey - although I kind of feel a bit incensed out now as I went to a church last night and there were absolute clouds of incense. Hence my yen for florals today.

CointreauVersial Thu 14-Feb-13 22:59:30

Glad you liked the Timbuktu, Niminy. I honestly couldn't smell anything when I tried it! Rose Chypree I love, though.

ProFumo Fri 15-Feb-13 08:05:47

Haber it's difficult to resist Tauer's beautiful bottles but if you need a decant to tide you over until the next birtday/Christmas, Gerald on Crystal Flacon has all of your favorite Tauers.

Some my loveliest samples are gifts from perfumista friends.
One of them is Encens Mythique d'Orient from Guerlain's boutique line (they are a bit elusive, Place Vendome Haute Parfumerie in Belgium is a good source). They say this has real ambergris tincture - it smells rich, decadent and seamless like a couture gown. Rose, a smattering of spices, lots of animalic skin and the odd furl of incense woven together. A plush flying carpet of oriental fantasies. This is not a bold modern churchy incense - the perfume is thick with wonderful materials.

Thierry Wasser, the new(ish) in-house perfumer at Guerlain looks like Lucifer but may be one of the best patisserie chefs in perfumery. If you like sweet, rich, heady and oriental, you'll need to know his name. Anyone can sample his work testing the three new Shalimar flankers and La Petite Robe Noire. He's also created Diesel Fuel for Life for Her that looks cheap but smells much better than you'd expect. I love his boutique perfumes - L'art et la matiere series for example. He has a magic touch with gourmands - he tends to add a bit of herby edge to keep the composition balanced. Good winter perfumes - comforting but stylish.

niminypiminy Fri 15-Feb-13 09:39:14

It's funny isn't it how some scents disappear on one person and smell strongly on another? Every review I've ever read of Samsara suggests that it's an overpowering monster, but on me it stays close to the skin and is actually quite a subtle scent. (Or else I have no sense of smell, which may be the case, who knows?)

florascotia Fri 15-Feb-13 10:00:29

Brilliant sunshine today, but still v cold wind, so what to wear? I came across a sample of Dorissma's 'Narziss' that I forgot I had (I got it from Scent and Sensibility - they are quite generous with sample sizes, and in mini spray containers). Hard to say what it smells of. Thyme and/or tarragon? Yes. Cedar and pencil-shavings? Yes. Something else, I know not what. Faintly burnt-sweet, after a while, but no flowers (IMO) whatsoever. Interesting, if not heart-stopping, and certainly very bracing. Really a man's scent, I think, but somehow suitable if one is feeling brisk or assertive . (Gender stereotypes, moi??)

Many thanks for yesterday's good wishes, Perfumistas!

Fuzzybirds Fri 15-Feb-13 10:06:18

Morning ladies, I have a sillage monster on today- Teint de Neige (thank you Cardoon!) this ticks two big boxes for me- strong (very) and powdery (very.)

The penny pinching voice in my head is telling me I could get a similar effect by combining any number of Johnson's/ Pampers products but....I can't help but love it. Something very sweet and floral is coming through now. <Adds to massive wishlist>

I scored a bargain on ebay this morning, three partial Dior minis for £5. Happy Fuzzy grin

florascotia Fri 15-Feb-13 10:27:07

PS re Narziss. I take back what I said about no flowers. Now, after a couple of hours or so, I am suddenly smelling rather refined roses on top of the dry woodiness. Herbs are still definitely there, but less prominent. The extra layer makes it somewhat more appealing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now