Do you 'outfit plan' in the style of menu planning?

(52 Posts)
Flumpyflumps Mon 14-Jan-13 19:44:07

Just canvassing S & B to see if anyone does this.
If so does it help time saving and general efficiency in the morning?

Arisbottle Mon 14-Jan-13 23:13:39

I don't write my nail colors in advance but if I am doing them myself rather than at the salon they have usually chipped by the end of the day and certainly the second day, so they would need redoing anyway.

I am an oddbod though with control issues. I am convinced that because I know I have the issues it is OK.

Arisbottle Mon 14-Jan-13 23:14:32

Liberty I am also keeping an eye in what I wear as I need to do a big clear out. Declutter is my middle name at the moment,

Anni37 Mon 14-Jan-13 23:15:32

Good God yes. I'm hopeless in the morning, if I had to pick out an outfit then I'd be late! I plan the night before, but accessories etc can be done in the morning, that much I can handle

Whoknowswhocares Mon 14-Jan-13 23:18:00

It's never really occurred to me! I stare vacantly at the wardrobe and hope for inspiration........then pick out jeans and a bog standard t shirt!
Perhaps I should start?grin
Thanks op!

noviceoftheday Mon 14-Jan-13 23:30:20

I menu plan for the week ahead but only plan an outfit the night before. If I have a big meeting that week or public speaking, I tend to know what I am wearing for that event so I don't wear it earlier in the week

I find I lose things if I keep swapping handbags so I tend to use only one or two bags for the whole working week and then plan my accessories to go with it. I try no to use the same bag 2 weeks running or else I just get into a rut. I try and wear different accessories each day so I don't get into a rut, but I tend to choose on the day. If I am in a hurry, I have my failsafe earrings, watch, necklace and bracelet that goes with everything.

VBisme Mon 14-Jan-13 23:35:09

I wardrobe plan when I buy, my work wardrobe is totally co-ordinated so whatever the weather I can grab a suit and blouse / polo neck and it'll look fine.
Not a big fan of "statement jewellery so I don't worry about that.
As long as things are washed, ironed and put away I'm good to go.

Arisbottle Mon 14-Jan-13 23:36:55

I could plan accessories in the morning if I did not have two daughters who were always pinching my stuff. Planning accessories often means hunting for my stuff in their room.

libertychick Mon 14-Jan-13 23:57:31

Arisbottle I didn't want to admit this but as you have confessed to control issues I feel safer - I am in the process of doing a spreadsheet of all my clothes and going to use it to analyse what I wear, what I have too much of, where the gaps are etc grin

Sad or what! It's partly cause I am bored at work so it fills in the dull moments...

Also noticing how many of you have totally co-ordinating wardrobes - how do you do that?

VBisme Tue 15-Jan-13 00:20:44

Well my job is in a very conservative profession, so it's expected that I will wear a suit for work. So as long as all my suits are shades of black and grey then I can pull in any colour I want in terms of blouse / jumper.
It also means that I don't need to buy any brown or blue work shoes, or worry about what colour stockings to wear.

Snowkey Tue 15-Jan-13 07:05:29

I menu plan every week but choice of clothing is often an emotional one, it's impossible to predict that in advance. I often decide what I'm going to wear while in the shower. Although at the moment I'm predictably obsessed with warmth and comfort - style might return with the warmer weather. wink

lupo Tue 15-Jan-13 07:19:17

sounds a little ocd but I have written down all the items I have to wear in a diary -going for capsule wardrobe - then decide what to wear for the next day

ifancyashandy Tue 15-Jan-13 07:24:53

Yes, I do this. I have a think on Sunday about what my week will be like. - meetings / going straight out from work etc - and then plan outfits accordingly. I may adjust slightly due to weather but seeing as most of my wardrobe 'works' together, not a huge problem. I''ll also plan underwear / shoes etc. I do my ironing weekly as I hate having to do it in the morning.

Nails are always painted but I stick to reds / wines in winter so pretty much go with everything. Not a massive jewellery or scarf fan.

ifancyashandy Tue 15-Jan-13 07:25:40

But I do co-ordinate coats and handbags also!

I used to in my pre children days.

I would choose 5 outfits on a sunday evening, iron and hang them up, loop appropriate underwear over the hanger and put shoes and handbag on the floor underneath the outfit.

I need to get back into doing this now that I'm a SAHM, for both me and DC.
It makes life so much easier.

MarshaBrady Tue 15-Jan-13 09:16:58

I don't atm, I just decide on the day. But probably will make sure I have enough to wear for meetings etc if I do a project.

Flumpyflumps Tue 15-Jan-13 09:23:00

Well this morning went much better, no last minute panic on where's that necklace or if a seamed bra showed under a top, I can highly recommend this strategy!

Got the rest of the week ready in the wardrobe too.

101handbags Tue 15-Jan-13 09:38:55

I get everything ready the night before too - underwear, jewellery, usually a scarf, shoes/boots & the rest of the outfit. Firstly I have waaaay too many clothes so would never be able to find anything in a rush in the morning, and secondly I just wouldn't have time, I have to leave pretty early for my commute. I really enjoy choosing what to wear so it's just part of the 'night before' routine.

Absy Tue 15-Jan-13 10:01:33

I do this sporadically, and it definitely helps. In fact, I did it last night - hung out dress + shirt, underwear and jewellery and I didn't have to think about it this morning. I SERIOUSLY need to start doing it on thursday evenings, as I start at Stupid O Clock on Friday mornings, and have ended up in some rather, erm, interesting outfits when trying to grab stuff out of the wardrobe in the dark, while sleep deprived.

VenusRising Tue 15-Jan-13 10:29:26

I wear black, and sometimes a white shirt.
Everything goes with everything else.
I feel weird if I wear jeans now.

I have jersey sleeveless, belted dresses for when its warm, and a jacket, otherwise it's just black trews and black tunics with tights / leggings and tops.

Some colourful scarves, if I'm feeling cold.

When I'm working from home I wear light cashmere jumpers and leggings - all colours (and sometimes my pjs)
Comfort and warmth are most important for me.

We have a rotating 9 or 10 dinners, with fish from the freezer as our fall back, "we haven't had time to shop, what will we have tonight?" meal.

I suppose I'm in a style rut, but I don't mind.

VenusRising Tue 15-Jan-13 10:31:41

Meant to say that one of the reasons we chose DC s school is that they have a uniform, and those are hung up last thing at night, ready for bleary eyed dressing in the am.

Mrsap Tue 15-Jan-13 11:13:45

I have sort of started doing this by checking the forecast and then just looking in my wardrobe on a Sunday night.

I pull a few suitable combinations to the front and check that tights/scarves etc r clean.

Makes mornings easier and I wear more of my stuff.

I lay everything out for the DCs the night before though.

BranchingOut Tue 15-Jan-13 11:27:15

I must admit that having fewer items of clothing that all coordinate makes it much easier NOT to do this. Plus dresses are great - put it on and you are set!

Just nipped up to count - I have 21 hangers of winter skirts, trousers and tops, some of which are not everyday items (silky party tops etc). A few more coming through the wash. 4 or 5 day dresses depending on whether it is autum or winter, mostly for work. Plus some evening dresses/special occasion clothes.

Summer clothes are stored elsewhere.

However, I have come to the conclusion that I need a bit more in the way of underwear and vests, as not having the right thing available seems to cause problems.

For travelling always. All outfits spread out. Including shoes, bags, jewellery etc. I actually like packing suitcases. <<weirdo>>

Mumelie Tue 15-Jan-13 15:01:02

I tend to plan my work outfit the night before but have been thinking about doing it for the whole 5 days. I cannot think at 6.30am and it would stress me too much. Weekends I like to think I have time but always end up pulling on the same skinnies and jumper combo and ignoring all my lovely casual clothes that require a bit of forethought!
I too need a clear out and have been photographing what I wear to work each day this month. I am rending to not wear trousers at the moment as I find dress/tights/boots warmer. Come the spring I'll be in trousers and shoes instead.
I try and do a neutral nail polish during the week - my clothes are pretty coordinated colour wise so not difficult to match up.

Flumpyflumps Fri 18-Jan-13 19:50:11

This week has been a revelation doin this, Sunday nights will now be outfit planning time.
God I'm so anal, I'm now allocating time on Saturday to do my menu an time on Sunday to do outfits!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now