Whistles. Opinions?

(41 Posts)

Wondered what the mumsnet folks make of Whistles?

I find myself occasionally drawn to something on the site, sometimes in store, but have never took the plunge. I kind of shudder at the prices considering they are hardly a designer brand, more like high end high street. Do you think their products are value for money, or a bit of a rip off? I still can't get my head around a floaty 100% polyester dress for £150.

Thoughts?
Shapeless shite?

novelsituation Mon 14-Jan-13 21:33:27

Some of my favourite dresses, t- shirts, bags and scarves come from Whistles. I think the quality is great.

Agree that Reiss quality generally isn't good ( bought a coat there this year and it is nowhere near as good quality as similar from Hobbs or Jigsaw ) but think they do good leather jackets.

cessie322 Mon 14-Jan-13 21:41:48

I like it as well. I bought a few things last season. I've a dress from two years ago that I love and it's really comfortable. Bought a coat in October and I've got asked about it a good few times.

God I hate Reiss. They are he worst. Rubbish quality, inconsistent sizing and pushy sales staff, the holy trinity of crap clothing retail. I don't even bother going in anymore. Whistles are going the same way for me. It doesn't help that my local Whistles and Reiss are situated near such lovely shops (Matches, DVF, Trilogy etc) that the clothes really suffer by comparison quality-wise.

coraltoes Wed 16-Jan-13 10:30:06

I tend to like about 10% of their stock. Bought an amazing tuxedo slouch type blazer there which works well with dresses, their dresses are fine too. Tips too thin and tend to open up small holes...trousers just never fit me...shapeless, saggy. Prices are fine.

Reiss is the work of the polyester devil.

coraltoes Wed 16-Jan-13 10:30:51

Tops too thin. Ffs. And I mean the tshirts.

Don't get me started on kooples and sandro, awful quality. AWFUL FUCKING QUALITY.

MarshaBrady Wed 16-Jan-13 11:36:25

ha love the clothing rage.

I feel the same re Reiss, Jigsaw, French Connection. Overpriced.

Interesting you say that about Sandro. I have always found the quality to be excellent!

MarshaBrady Wed 16-Jan-13 12:11:56

Sandro is good. But they don't refund returns in store which is really annoying. So you get lumbered with exchange situation.

Silly since you can get it from lots of other places and return.

Amused by the Reiss bashing this thread brought out grin

I went into a Reiss store last week for first time. Dress I liked had (what seemed like) a 20 inch waist and 40 inch chest. Insanely cut. Glad I hadn't given in and bought it online.

WeightyKaty Wed 16-Jan-13 13:58:04

I buy all my Whistles stuff on ebay and sell about 50% of it on. I agree that the dresses are too short I am 5'9 though. I love their scarves and bags, purses etc. Have never tried their trousers. Would never pay full price.

Snowkey Wed 16-Jan-13 14:02:05

I have only ever bought t shirts in Whistles and they have all washed badly - widen and shrink in length. You think I'd have learnt the first time but no I went back for more. Reiss stuff is just not my thing...too prim.

coraltoes Wed 16-Jan-13 14:07:13

Just went to check my jumpers and apologies, they are all kooples ones that bobbled and lost shape and NOT sandro. Dearest sandro, I apologise, please forgive me with a cool s/s collection ;)

Matches do that too Marsha, annoys me a great deal!

MarshaBrady Wed 16-Jan-13 14:29:39

I know it's ridiculous. And they have an online site! I usually try something on and say I'm going to order on line (then usually forget about it).

Yes but the £8 delivery charge is very off putting also. To be honest, ive got so many of those bastard boxes now I could do with a non-fancy pants option! Also I bought some shoes for DH from the mens section the other day. They came in a massive marble box, yet delivery was only £5! Why the discrimination, Matches?

MarshaBrady Wed 16-Jan-13 14:38:35

Hehe Ds2 stands on them pretty quickly.

Mind you if I lived where you did I'd be in there a lot <fond memories of pop up shop>.

They were so full on with Celine sale last one etc then I walked to Selfridges and they had 50. I thought last item swizz, we must be past that by now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now