SHITE people say on fashion blogs

(171 Posts)
MaureenShit Sun 13-Jan-13 19:53:01

"The kind people at...."
(Ie boden gave me a free bag to pimp a hotchpotch shirt"

"Pop of _fucking colour". No one says this in real life. Fück off.

"This looks cute" no. Kittens are cute. You are a woman who wears scarves. Desist.

PlumSykes Sun 13-Jan-13 21:55:53

Cliched writing, generally, irritates me. I don't mind fashion speak, per se, so a red lip or a snakeskin shoe doesn't bother me, but 'new year, new you' and 'top of every fashionista's wish-list' both drive me up the wall. And I say that as a blogger and journalist.

Ubik, in those examples, that's exactly what it is, though. An edit, or edited selection of the Spring/Summer runway collections. And 'An edited selection of the Spring/Summer runway collections' would make for a clunky, and very long headline.

This thread is brilliant!

"off duty look'
"wardrobe purge"
"closet cleanse" (beats colon)
"curating my wardrobe"
"look at all of this fecking food i instagrammed for your pleasure"

I am also a bit sick of the current obsession with Jane Birkin and Serge, so-called minimalism involving the pursuit of 'classic' pieces which cost thousands (and will likely get thrown away as frequently as high street crap).

I'm a fan of less is more, quality over quantity, and I love the mythic Parisian style, etc, but it's all a bit overdone IMO at the moment.

PlumSykes Sun 13-Jan-13 21:59:08

noddyholder, I love the sound of your friend, she can come and hang out with me.

TutuMuch Sun 13-Jan-13 22:02:27

Love this thread.

The word 'fierce' always gets on my tits especially in a wanky sentence like: 'Add a statement shoe and a pop of colour to make your outfit truly fierce.' Such pretentious bollocks.

ClaraDeLaNoche Sun 13-Jan-13 22:03:27

Buttery soft leather. In case you want to spread it on your toast.

Cost per wear. With no acknowledgement that this cannot accurately be calculated until you are dead.

MadBusLady Sun 13-Jan-13 22:03:29

Pretzel I googled it to find a picture and found a whole post about it.

I think 'fierce' is what someone says when they are unable to formulate a decent, heartfelt compliment (ie: she actually looks shit, but i admire her courage to wear spandex/neon bratop, etc).
'you rock that' is also another, it never feels sincere.

PretzelTime Sun 13-Jan-13 22:05:43

"foundations: the perfect faux leopard coat"
I guess some people just a different idea of what basic classic warderobe items are. Still funny though grin

MmeLindor Sun 13-Jan-13 22:05:53

I like that Style Guile blog, thanks for linking to it.

Love this blog about the poses

I think that it is a bit of fun. If you like style blogs, read them. If you don't then don't.

Chugchug Sun 13-Jan-13 22:06:13

I haven't seen too many of these terms thank god, I must be reading the wrong blogs.

I don't mind fashion terms being used if they know what they're on about, but yes some of the aforementioned are rather 'wanky' tutu. My rule of thumb is if I wouldn't say it I won't write it.

MmeLindor Sun 13-Jan-13 22:07:29

oh, XP with Madbuslady.

I was searching for that blog - I saw the post a while back and it made me laugh.

lurkingaround Sun 13-Jan-13 22:07:53

Love the blog link MadBusL!
They look ridiculous!

FunnysInLaJardin Sun 13-Jan-13 22:07:59

I really really hate that the fashion don't eat a crumb and make your self sick pages are followed by why not try this lovely recipe pages as though the two were natural bedfellows. You either eat or you can wear 'fashun'. Not both

NoelHeadbands Sun 13-Jan-13 22:08:02

.....and a XXXX XXXXX....

Why are you telling me about the vest? I can't see the vest in the picture, I'm pretty sure it can't be seen in RL seeing as its underneath the shirt, and the 'sweater'. Why are you telling me about the vest??

PretzelTime Sun 13-Jan-13 22:16:59

MadBusLady - oh dear, can't stop looking at the wtfpinterest.com site now!

MorrisZapp Sun 13-Jan-13 22:19:55

Noddy, you had lunch at my SILs? smile

She is truly lovely. With two small kids, a very large bump, home cooked everything, and hair and makeup always both trendy and immaculate. And high heels.

Head, meet oven.

Chugchug Sun 13-Jan-13 22:22:02

Those photos on that wtfpinterest look a million times worse when thu are all together like that. grin

MadBusLady Sun 13-Jan-13 22:34:52

Oh dear, it's a bit compulsive isn't it. Like the weekend day I discovered Regretsy.

lurkingaround Sun 13-Jan-13 22:41:01

Regretsy?? <off to google>

pinkhousesarebest Sun 13-Jan-13 22:47:15

You lot have brightened up a sombre evening.

Diddydollydo Sun 13-Jan-13 22:52:17

My eyes have been stained forever with the gem

'a really cute little shoe, would look super with an opaque tight'.

Fucks sake.

HellonHeels Sun 13-Jan-13 22:52:27

Any reference to "pieces" gives me rage.

There's a site called 'get off my internets' which criticizes fashion bloggers, often quite severely..... ok a lot of the commenters are quite cruel to be honest, but once you take a look around it's difficult to pull yourself away. I would rather not give a direct link.
There's a pretty vitriolic forum, as well as the main blog, which features news about popular (mostly U.S) fashion bloggers who the readers love to hate.

I think it goes too far, personally, but still worth a mention considering the theme this thread.

tethersend Sun 13-Jan-13 23:25:47

All kinds of shit being 'thrown on'.

applecrumbleandcream Sun 13-Jan-13 23:25:51

Sorry, just checked back, I did mean the Michael Kors rose gold watch obviously, not Marc Jacobs watch. It is standard uniform for the blogs I read!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now