Best work trousers - what's current style

(123 Posts)
sincitylover Sat 12-Jan-13 11:43:04

I am in desperate need of smart work trousers - last ones I bought were per una stretch boot flare but they're too big and I'm out of touch.

In casual I wear skinny and I wore skinny black trousers with a smart jacket but it didn't feel right

Am desperate for work trousers (I only wear black trousers on period from hell days but they are useful to have for that time!) and am really struggling. Topshop too polyestery.
Hobbs too expensive and too long and too dry clean only.
Gap - hate the quality. They look like shit after one or two washes and pick up fluff like mad. And most of them are a foot too long for me anyway.
M&S - never quite right. Usually too big on the bum. Often polyestery. Crap stitching on hems.
I want narrow legged but not 7 8ths. Agh.

MaureenShit Sun 13-Jan-13 14:58:14

they do - with a smart shirt

MaureenShit Sun 13-Jan-13 14:58:55

REmus you need to wait for Banana republic to get some more Logan straight leg wool in

alemci Sun 13-Jan-13 14:59:52

Insprognito I usually wear an A line skirt on the knee. recently I bought a tweed skirt from Monsoon in the sale which is above the knee which was more fitted and loved it. Sometimes I may even wear a longer skirt. It is more that I get cold where I work so that is important to me as I am often sitting in cold environments and don't move around much whilst there.

I am mid 40's and my knees aren't that wonderful IHO. I don't want to look muttonish. However I notice male attention if I do wear shorter skirts which can be quite flattering. Sometimes wear an above the knee denim skirt.

I am long waisted and I find trouser buying very difficult. I often end up with frumpy trousers 'cos they are comfy. Often have a gap at the back as my back is quite hollow.

MaureenShit Sun 13-Jan-13 15:02:57

ah you see Im short waisted

dont boden cater for the long of carcass? And monsoon?

noddyholder Sun 13-Jan-13 15:07:20

You need a bloody phd in fashion to dress short waisted

MaureenShit Sun 13-Jan-13 15:07:53

I know * wah *

Will check out BR next time I'm in London. Can't be faffed with online and sending back etc.

Am also short waisted, but I also seem to have a hollow back! Hate being short waisted as it makes norks look so THERE iyswim.

MaureenShit Sun 13-Jan-13 15:09:58

oh its super easy. they are very good at e-trading, considering how long they took to set it up. If you order it on their 3-4 days it almost always comes overnight.

easy to reseal, bung on label and throw at post office

EnjoyResponsibly Sun 13-Jan-13 15:13:46

These from coast are fabulous, stretchy too. They are cropped on me (look great with flats so less good this time of year, better in Spring/autumn).

MaureenShit Sun 13-Jan-13 15:20:16

EIGHTY FIVE QUID for viscose?

I wouldn't spend that much on trousers, because they always seem to go a bit weird on the knees anyway. In fact, the last pair of expensive trousers I bought (in the sale) turned out to be worse quality than M&S.

EnjoyResponsibly Sun 13-Jan-13 15:59:19

<offers Maureen smelling salts>

Remus incorrect in this case I assure you. Had them 9 months, shape kept beautifully.

alemci Sun 13-Jan-13 16:51:58

I used to buy liz Clairborne trousers years' ago when they were in John Lewis, they were expensive but seemed to fit.

My dd found a black pair in my wardrobe and wears them in the 6th form. The fabric is quite thick and they are flat fronted. Good buy as they were bought in the early 00's. They even go in the drier (might pinch them back in desperation)

Thank you for link to Great Plains sale smile

No work trousers in my size (continue the fruitless search for those!) but bought pencil skirt and jersey dress for very reasonable price.

dress
skirt

Thank you MissBeehivingUnderTheMistletoe

I believe you, Enjoy. I still can't afford them though. smile

MrsBeep Sun 13-Jan-13 18:13:18

MaureenShit apologies if I came over agro, no intention for that meant. Just throwing my 2p in about my opinion on work trousers.

I wish I could suit these new style ones, but I'm just too curvy for it.

Pompbear Sun 13-Jan-13 18:55:17

Black coated skinny jeans work well too I find. I had a pair taken up slightly and they're nice and warm, stretchy and super comfy. Good option for winter but you still have the cold ankle issue!

Mine are from sainsbos - they're a great fit - hidden support they're called and half price at the moment

Love coated skinnies but would be sent home if I wore them to work!

MaureenShit Mon 14-Jan-13 07:45:15

New style in br but cropped. Good for spring.
http://m.bananarepublic.gap.eu/product.html?dn=bp000325442J007-08093&dv=0&shopid=1&pdn=bc58367

MaureenShit Mon 14-Jan-13 07:45:27
MooMinCow Mon 14-Jan-13 07:47:09

Gap have 20% off today only in store and online. Use GAPSTYLE code. Typical, could have done with it yesterday grrr

MaureenShit Mon 14-Jan-13 07:49:32

Of course. I ring up and claim.

I ordered yesterday. They're out for delivery today fgs!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now