Best work trousers - what's current style

(123 Posts)
sincitylover Sat 12-Jan-13 11:43:04

I am in desperate need of smart work trousers - last ones I bought were per una stretch boot flare but they're too big and I'm out of touch.

In casual I wear skinny and I wore skinny black trousers with a smart jacket but it didn't feel right

MooMinCow Sun 13-Jan-13 08:53:43

Maureen those Gap straight ones are cotton/Lycra mix. Are they very 'shiny polyester' looking then? wink

MaureenShit Sun 13-Jan-13 09:50:55

oh are they - i must have got confused. ill look again standby!

MaureenShit Sun 13-Jan-13 09:53:04

Yup i had.

Ihad those once too blush but the leg length was just a smidge out, saying that each pair in gap seems to vary and sometimes if you size DOWN the leg gets longer

madness.

Mine arent on BR atm - they were fine wool. I am not sure the crop on the GAP website are mine they need LOADS of elastane to keep the shape IME

CharlotteBronteSaurus Sun 13-Jan-13 09:56:01

i tried on some skinny/cigarette one the other day and felt too much like I was going down the pub
i think i need straight/slim rather than proper cigarette pants though - but where from??

i have been wearing pencil skirts pretty much continuously since October, but can only manage this in winter as my cankles need the camouflage of long boots.

MaureenShit Sun 13-Jan-13 09:58:55

IVE ORDERED!
yay - gap delivery is super fast - lets see what they are like.

I love slim trousers as have slim legs BUT the issue is getting pencil skirts to fit - Boden for eg are like wearing a bloody lampshade.

I got these pour le soir really in the sale and are a close fit 12 ( whereas I am a gap 10 you see) but are loverly. www.johnlewis.com/375699/Product.aspx

MaureenShit Sun 13-Jan-13 10:00:52

lol at the horror that is this www.johnlewis.com/385642/Product.aspx

CharlotteBronteSaurus Sun 13-Jan-13 10:01:58

my work skirts are M&S - very good tapered fit if you've got hips and a defined waist, but probably all wrong for proper slim jims.

MooMinCow Sun 13-Jan-13 10:03:37

Well, I'm off to the shops so might swing past Gap and just try some on. Have lost a bit of weight since I last wore Gap trews so have no idea what size to get. Am being made redundant hmm so need a smart pair for interviews (hopeful)

MaureenShit Sun 13-Jan-13 10:03:57

i am loving work chat.
I got a lovely shirt from dreaded Boden last autumn - the cambridge one, but its not in this seasons.

I am a 12 but avec le bustage and it suprisingly fitted well as long as the bra wasnt too up and at em. Great collar line with buttons in just the right place. I sometimes find work shirts are either strangling you with buttons or a bit too decolleté

MaureenShit Sun 13-Jan-13 10:04:42

The best jumper i have for work ( is smart casual) is a fab AUtograph angora one i got years ago. Is boat neck and 3/4 sleeve so you can wear a shirt or a stripey top underneath it

MaureenShit Sun 13-Jan-13 10:04:55

oh SKIRTS - sorry i misread!

cocolepew Sun 13-Jan-13 10:09:20

I know Next isn't popular on here but their cigarette pants in atm are lovely, our store had a light grey and a black pair.

MrsBeep Sun 13-Jan-13 10:11:11

I really couldn't care less what's in fashion and what's not. I think its all about what SUITS you as an individual with your personality and size.
These new style 'cigarette' trousers would NOT suit me, as I am 5'4" and a size 18. Have tried on many a pair of straight leg and skinny, and I just look like an egg on cocktail sticks. I have to balance my shape out by having a flare at the bottom of my trousers.

And to the person who put up pics on the second post of the thread saying "hideous, nice, hideous, nice"....that's just your opinion, all of those styles would suit different people.

MaureenShit Sun 13-Jan-13 10:11:50

coco are they all polystery?

MaureenShit Sun 13-Jan-13 10:12:11

mrs beep

take a chill pill

ChablisLover Sun 13-Jan-13 10:16:22

Agree size down in gap

Makes you feel great!

I hate overly polyester trews so that's why I like gap.

So much man made fabrics on the high street at the mo - I hate it

I would gladly pay for cotton!

But that's another rant altogether

MaureenShit Sun 13-Jan-13 10:17:04

There is a real dearth of them imo. I looked at bloody Jigsaw and they are ludicrously expensive

noddyholder Sun 13-Jan-13 11:57:12

not trousers but i tried this on and wished I worked in an office so so flattering. Still might buy it looks really modern and smart. Shuffles out to freelance corner

MaureenShit Sun 13-Jan-13 12:02:03

LOLOl at the model pic on that website - she looks SO pissed off and it looks terribel on her!

noddyholder Sun 13-Jan-13 12:16:02

Yes but that jumper is a look that most wouldn't suit! Look great with pussycat blouse and heeled loafers.

MaureenShit Sun 13-Jan-13 12:22:52

you know that is a lURE to me the loafers.

i cant get PC blouse to work - too much going on in the top half

noddyholder Sun 13-Jan-13 12:27:32

You need a simple one and colour better than white which is hard to pull off. I have an old grey french connection one very flattering and plain. Tie the bow to the side not the front a la mrs slocombe

MaureenShit Sun 13-Jan-13 12:34:52

good tip nod

noddyholder Sun 13-Jan-13 12:43:06

smile where's me fashion medal

louwn Sun 13-Jan-13 12:43:57

I find work trousers hard to get right so just wear dresses and skirts (although have a couple of pairs of 7/8 I wear with very high heels!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now