Best work trousers - what's current style

(123 Posts)
sincitylover Sat 12-Jan-13 11:43:04

I am in desperate need of smart work trousers - last ones I bought were per una stretch boot flare but they're too big and I'm out of touch.

In casual I wear skinny and I wore skinny black trousers with a smart jacket but it didn't feel right

donteatthefiggypudding Sat 12-Jan-13 11:45:56

don't know Sin, but I also need new work trousers. HATE anything but jeans, so am wondering if anyone can sugggest anything!

Charliefox Sat 12-Jan-13 12:01:05

Stretch flare <shudder!> You need something more tailored, as wide leg makes almost everyone look like a wide load and dated as well, IMHO. I love a cigarette trouser for work like these All you need is a tanned ankle and foot, then you can wear flats or heels.

Charliefox Sat 12-Jan-13 12:12:06
sincitylover Sat 12-Jan-13 18:34:19

Thanks yes I agree that bootleg work trousers now hideous! Think I might go for cigarette style - cant wear flats I'm too short so maybe with ankle boots? (Chelsea boots with highish heel? )

Charliefox Sat 12-Jan-13 18:58:36

Boots fine, as longer as there's no gap and a flash of ankle!

discorabbit Sat 12-Jan-13 18:59:35

gap usually have a good selection

snowmummy Sat 12-Jan-13 19:02:51
Jemster Sat 12-Jan-13 21:21:26

I'm back to work soon and need new trousers.
Would this cigarette style suit me as only 5'3? Could I wear flats with them or would it look odd?

Charliefox Sat 12-Jan-13 22:28:56

I think flats work great with them. I think any style shoe really. I like a not-too-clumpy block heel or a subtle wedge as well, like these:

www.newlook.com/shop/shoe-gallery/view-all-shoes/moda-in-pelle-leopard-block-heel-ballet-pumps_265072929?extcam=AFF_AFW_Editorial+Content_ShopStyle+UK

www.next.co.uk/x513354s2#149712x51

Jemster Sat 12-Jan-13 22:41:01

Charliefox yes I like those shoes. I like a bit of a heel as I'm short but it can't be too high as I have bad ankles. The new look style ones would be perfect, thanks.

Crikeyblimey Sat 12-Jan-13 22:51:01

OK - thread hijack - sorry.

These cigarette style trousers that show some ankle / all of shoe (look possibly too short). Are they OK for the slightly "older" woman? Just turned 47 and suddenly think I might be less lamb and more mutton. I'm 5ft 6 and size 12. Ta.

MooMinCow Sun 13-Jan-13 07:27:44

I was thinking of getting these Gap True Straight ones. Would like a pair I could wear out too?

ChablisLover Sun 13-Jan-13 07:45:54

I always find gap excellent for work trousers.

The true straight ones are fab.

Plus search for discount codes

Think I got 30% off my last purchase

Finding good work trousers is like a needle in a haystack or good jeans! The hassle of it all.

Hence I found gap and stuck with it.

galletti Sun 13-Jan-13 07:51:59

Crikeyblimey - you may not want my opinion as I am older than you - the big 50 this year!

But, I wouldn't hesitate to wear the cigarette style - in fact am just about to order some!

I don't think we would be mutton at all in these!

BranchingOut Sun 13-Jan-13 07:55:25

I think that the cigarette trousers might be equally dated in a couple of years time, so don't spend too much!

Also, don't they, er, emphasise your bum?

The best work trouser to my mind is a medium to high waisted straight cut style which is wide enough on the thighs not to cling - totally appropriate for even the most formal work place, won't date too much, will last through various rotations of fashion and will be comfortable for most of the year.

MooMinCow Sun 13-Jan-13 08:06:38

Chablis - I'm waiting for a 30% code so I can order a pair soon! Bound to be one soon (hopeful). What's the sizing like?

OneHandFlapping Sun 13-Jan-13 08:18:12

Who wants the wind whistling round their ankles in the winter? And surely if you wear those 7/8 trousers with boots, you're going to look like an escapee from the Star Ship Enterprise?

MaureenShit Sun 13-Jan-13 08:35:41

The prob with skinny work trousers is your feet and heels.

I love banana republic wool Logan fit. Got some in black in sake baize down. They say dry clean but aren't

MaureenShit Sun 13-Jan-13 08:38:03

I've had gap true straight. Are ok, a bit poly Wish they did them in wool. I get bloody cold at work

MaureenShit Sun 13-Jan-13 08:38:27

Previous post should say size down. Not baize

MaureenShit Sun 13-Jan-13 08:39:54

Agree. Cigarette only good Easter to September. Then wtf on your feet. Ankle boots look shit; ive tried.
Mango cigarettes nice plus gap do one with loads of stretch every year.

Can you tell work trousers is an issue?!

41notTrendy Sun 13-Jan-13 08:44:51

I just don't think I could get away with those cigarette trousers. I'm 5'4" and very hourglass.
I'd like to try and will. However, I'm a big fan of wide leg trousers. I have a pair of tailored ones in grey and a pair from m&s in black which swish beautifully.
Have often wondered about Gap trousers, thanks for the thread, has inspired me to try other stuff smile

RikersBeard Sun 13-Jan-13 08:45:34

Yes it's the shoe issue that stumps me! I have a 10min walk from my car, and work isn't the warmest. I refuse to go out without some sort of sick or I will get frostbite. But fashionable trousers do not work with warm footwear.

Why do all the pictures show models wearing summer/sockless shoes with the a/w collections?

RikersBeard Sun 13-Jan-13 08:46:09

Sock not sick!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now