Please help me dress my tomboy daughter for a wedding

(30 Posts)
sweetheart Fri 04-Jan-13 14:55:32

We are going to a wedding in June - which I know is ages away BUT I've my daughter is such a tomboy that I know whatever I buy her for the wedding will never be worn again so I'd prefer to try and save myself some money and get something in the sales if possible.

She's said she'll wear a dress "If she HAS to". She did wear a pencil skirt to a party recently after some peer pressure was applied.

She is 12 but will be 13 by the time the wedding happens. She can generally fit into an adult size 6 or usual teenage clothing.

Any ideas most gratefully received! I don't want to force her to wear something I know she'll hate!

hettie Fri 04-Jan-13 18:19:28

mme... she sounds like me at that age....
what about some metalic jeans/trousers like these or these or these
If you think she'd go for those then we can defo find her a blouse and cardi to go along with them?

lalalonglegs Fri 04-Jan-13 18:21:49

I'd say wide-legged trousers, a white shirt (possibly with sequin collar if you think she would go for it) and a waistcoat (a bit Annie Hall).

nickelbabylyinginamanger Sat 05-Jan-13 11:06:23

yyy- definitely a waistcoat.

i was thinking about this last night.
I think you should just take her to a proper men's/boys' suit shop and just choose a 3-piece suit and a colourful shirt.

My dd wore a jacket quite happily to a recent wedding it was incredibly plain but navy blue - too dark (?), she had blue suede brogue style shoes from new look, skinny trousers and grudgingly wore a blouse with birds on it from Next. I did get her to try a boys suit in Monsoon but she has a girlish body with hips so it didn't fit.

sweetheart Sat 05-Jan-13 17:39:59

Ok I've asked her about the shorts or play suits and she's said no. I've ordered a navy blue trouser suit from Mango so we'll see how tat is when it arrives, I'm just worried if we are lucky e ought to get a warm day she will roast alive - it's January and she's lready wearing her board shorts!

I'll ask her about the metallic skinny jeans, she lives in skinny chinos so that might work

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now