Boden sale roundup thread - what was a star buy and what will they have to give away?

(228 Posts)
Northernlebkuchen Thu 03-Jan-13 13:28:19

I got my (final- honest) parcel today and thought it would be fun to summarise (I lead a very uneventful life!)

Hits:

Navy Padded coat for dd3 - BRILLIANT. Looks lovely one and so soft and warm

Raindy Day mac for me - I got the charcoal patterned one and it's beautiful. Feels great and am in love with the pattern which is less aggressive in the flesh than on screen. For £35 - bargain

Cord Placket dress in petrol - love, love, love this - beautifully lined and flattering

Emma tunic dress - I now have three blush

Miss:

Casual jersey dress - it's cheap for a reason. Nice and warm but so dull, so, so dull

Drapey jersey top - also yawn

Lottie tunic - the trim at the top came too low down on my fairly short self so cut bust in two - not a good look.

Anybody else?

hattymattie Thu 03-Jan-13 18:11:45

Got moleskin jacket in black- I'm delighted as it fits perfectly - normally jackets are too tight across the back or if I size up too big on the bust. I am soooo happy.

Got Maya dress in blue for DD1 17 - she looks gorgeous in this - but I knew she would. envy.

I'm waiting for a packet with assorted trousers - between three women in the family they ought to fit somebody.

Thinking more about mac patterns - there is still a lot of contrast between the red and charcoal on that mac whereas I thought the green flowers on the green mac blended in more than it looks like they do. So depends on whether you want slightly more subtle or oomph I guess.

snailsontour Thu 03-Jan-13 18:56:05

Thanks Northern, I'm not blonde, real or otherwise! Tempted to order the two and see which looks best - but worried I may be tempted to keep both!

Dancergirl Thu 03-Jan-13 19:36:45

Hmm, I'm thinking about the cosy casual jacket in denim, anyone got this?

HelenofSparta Thu 03-Jan-13 20:00:42

Just ordered the olive rainy day mac, had forgotten about it (seven months preggers at mo), but have the spring version so ordered same size.....fingers crossed as I cannot test it until April. Thanks for heads up!

starfleet Thu 03-Jan-13 20:05:00

I ordered the Poppy dress. Does anyone have it? How does it look on?

CaptainNancy Thu 03-Jan-13 21:23:21

Thank you Northern! smile

I think I may order the emma then.

CaptainNancy Thu 03-Jan-13 21:39:31

arses- none left in my size sad too late.

Oh snails get both and pick! I can't be responsible for the choice grin I hope at least some of you like it and the Emma dress or I'm going to feel awful!

Don't have it but the Poppy dress looks lovely - great price too.

HappyTurquoise Thu 03-Jan-13 22:02:27

Hits:
cable knit dress in navy. Wish I could get a red one in my size.
moleskin blazer, black
Pretty trim dress in mulberry
stitch detail dress - was perfect for Christmas Eve and has become a favourite.

Misses:
Circle applique dress. I was sent a regular in Petite packaging, and it just doesn't hang right. Don't want to take the risk of another lot of postage returning another, so it will go back. I do love the Quail Egg colour though.
Stitch detail dress in brown, ordered size too big as the one I had was feeling a bit tight, but this makes me look like I'm in a potato sack.

starfleet Thu 03-Jan-13 22:20:29

I've been lusting after it for a while but couldn't justify the £100+ price but at under £40 it is a bargain.

Other hits:-
Sarah dress in grey/green - comfortable and flattering on
Multi stitch dress in Navy Cord
Isabella Cardigan in Grey & Chestnut
Floaty Cardigan in Bayleaf
Stitch detail dress in Black cord
Velvet leopard print pumps

Not so good:-
Merino cardigan - a bit shapeless and the colour looked a lot brighter in the photo in RL it was a greeny mustard colour - I expected it to be a brighter yellow/gold
Jersey Shirt Dress - not a nice fitting - to tight on arms and shapeless elsewhere.

TheaJTS Thu 03-Jan-13 22:34:55

Was no one else tempted by the Iona boiled wool coat? I've had my eye on it in Russet for months, but not at the original price! Much more like it at 1/2 price. Hasn't arrived yet though...
Also ordered:
the Twist Front Jersey Dress in marigold (on the off chance, as only £23.70!)
Velvet Circle Skirt (black)
Stitch Detail Mini (grey)
Fingers crossed!

Back at the beginning of the sale I got the Emily skirt in the red colourway (love it), the Flippy Cord Skirt in blue (also really flattering) and the Nancy Dress in rose - amazed that this hasn't sold out at sale price (£41) - a really pretty dress!

Captain - look out for returns. There are bound to be some. There were a lot in stock up till Monday so there must be some people out there with the wrong bust sending them back grin

slalomsuki Thu 03-Jan-13 22:39:00

I ordered some stuff too but some is going back

Hits
Drapey top. I have it in three cours and looks great on me
Merino cardigan in the purpley blue colour got lots of comments
Slouchy jumper is great length

Misses

Colour block tunic. Material is weird
Sixties jumper. Neck doesn't sit right

Kept some girls skinny jeans as they fit well and have adjustable waists.

That coat is a lovely colour and fab price now. Hope you like it.

slalom - aside from the material do the colour blocks not look weird too? Struck me they might........

Oh and Thea report back on the stitch detail mini - specifically how mini it is!

TheaJTS Thu 03-Jan-13 23:26:59

NorthernLurker - will do! I ordered the 'L' and I have fairly short legs, so hoping it will be just above knee. I don't do 'mini' generally!

TheaJTS Thu 03-Jan-13 23:37:06

Almost forgot - I also ordered the Richmond Wrap Dress, which was a really lovely, flattering style on me (pear shape), but I just couldn't quite love the prints, and not sure about the bright red either. So sadly it went back. Great shape though.
And if you happen to be a size 6 (only size left) I recommend the Artisan Top / Tunic. I have it in lavender and pewter and love it! Flattering, comfy and great length.

polyhymnia Thu 03-Jan-13 23:40:59

I would have liked the Emma in camouflage colourway but I'm 5'9'' and it was simply too long in the body for it to sit right on me.

Was going for Lottie tunic but was put off by northern Lurker's feedback.

CaptainNancy Fri 04-Jan-13 00:54:18

Actually northern- I was so excited, as it's quite unusual for me to have the right bust for anything! grin

slalomsuki Fri 04-Jan-13 07:56:41

Northern the colours on the tunic were odd and didn't sit like the picture. I guess if you were tall and straight up and down then it would look great but if you are at all curvy then the blocks would be odd. I went for the grey colour combination which is grey, rust red and a green colour.

mynameis Fri 04-Jan-13 08:48:28

S&B lurker here, just popping in to say thanks to this thread I've just made my first ever Boden purchase of the Emma dress

Hoping the 38F norks will fill it sufficiently wink

Back2Two Fri 04-Jan-13 08:56:37

I'm awaiting my rainy day mac in olive. Wanted plain because I think Boden patterns just look too ......"Boden-y" smile but had to settle for olive. Bought two sizes so should find good fitting too.

Also got a gilet (olive too) ....bit boring and quite Boden-y but they're so useful and this was only £30 ish. No furry hood either.

Then got little boxer shorts for ds1 (I like getting nice ones, boys have such limited nice stuff!) and shirts for dh (3 and all white due to stock)

Looking forward to getting it all now.

Back2Two Fri 04-Jan-13 09:00:23

<<peers back in depsite all the enormous norks suddenly crowding around envy >>

With the returns.....do Boden "announce" that they have returns going back on sale or do they just dribble them back in grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now