Can anyone recommend a swimsuit for me? A sporty one for exercise - size 18?

(12 Posts)
wontwearsocks Wed 02-Jan-13 23:04:40

Couldn't decide where to post this as not really style related but here goes.

DH got me a swim/gym membership for Christmas and I am looking forward to using it. I really want to swim but I am put off by the difficulty in finding a well-fitting suit.

I am short and size 18 and carry most of my weight around the middle. I have a large chest (38F) and my boobs are depressingly droopy and awful. I'm not too self-conscious about my weight really but I feel awful about this aspect of it.

I had a cheap-ish underwired suit but I couldn't swim without feeling like my boobs were about to escape. I have a sporty one but I hate the way it squishes my chest down to my waist .

Can anyone recommend a swimsuit that gives good support but won't make me look like I am spilling out of it?

Thanks

AngelinaCongleton Wed 02-Jan-13 23:08:36

I got the speedo sculpture one from john Lewis. It's v good

mysteryfairy Thu 03-Jan-13 08:38:13

I just tried looking on figleaves using your bra size and looking for sports style. This brings up a few options including underwired and moulded cups costumes. I think I would order and try some of these from a site like figleaves or bra stop. You are hopefully likely to get a better fit if you get something in your cup size rather than dress size.

Try landsend
Great swimsuits

ledkr Thu 03-Jan-13 08:54:04

All I can say is that since I put on weight to a 16 I have found I can't buy the cheap costumes I used to when slimmer.
I have a frost French floozie one from debrnhams it's very nice

wontwearsocks Thu 03-Jan-13 09:42:38

Thanks for the recommendations everyone.

The Speedo Sculpture look like what I had in mind. angelina are they pretty much true to size? Which style do you have?

The landsend ones look good but out of my price range. I haven't had much luck with cup size swimsuits in the past as I am much bigger round the middle so hard to get a good fit.

polyhymnia Thu 03-Jan-13 12:49:32

If you go into the Lands Ensd Outlet section they have much reduced swimwear at moment, eg the tugless swimsuit, which i recommend for your purposes, is £35.

superfluouscurves Thu 03-Jan-13 23:10:17

You could have a look here I find Fantasie bras good - so swimsuits might do the job.

Have same nork issues as you and personally find Lands End tugless excellent. I usually buy extra long one though (even though my middle section is quite short) so it fits over chest and stomach!!

Springhasarrived Fri 04-Jan-13 05:09:46

The Simply Swim site has loads of swimsuits to choose from and plenty of reviews to help you choose.

Bravissimo are also good but the choice is small.

There are plenty of suits with tummy control. I would definitely recommend one of those. I swim a lot and personally dont like underwire as it always rubs in the end.

My favourite suit is Zoggs. I bought it from Bravissimo several years ago and it is still going strong. IMHO you do get what you pay for so buy the best you can and make sure it is chlorine resistant fabric.

http://www.simplyswim.com/products/Zoggs/PortlandV-Back-BlackandOrange.aspx
This lovely.

This is similar to my favourite one.
http://www.bravissimo.com/products/swimwear/sports-swimwear/brisbane-wire-free-swimsuit/black-coral/zs25bc/?show=16&sort=1&exclusive=false&new=false&sale=false&level=1

Mewsical Sat 05-Jan-13 09:11:21

The Asda slimsuit is brilliant. I have to wear underwired and usually pay alot for swimwear. This is not a beach swimsuit and very supportive, no danger of spillage, but great for swimming.

Panzee Sat 05-Jan-13 09:13:01

I get fantastic Zoggs ones from my local sports shop.

BikeRunSki Sat 05-Jan-13 09:21:41

Another vote for Lands End.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now