42-too old for a leather mini?

(22 Posts)
freerangeeggs Wed 02-Jan-13 19:34:45

Not too old. Never too old. :D

DIddled Wed 02-Jan-13 19:32:36

Cheers Miz - I suppose years ago we would have had curlers and a pinny at 40!

Keep the jumper ideas coming.... Knew I could rely on MN!

MizK Wed 02-Jan-13 19:18:39

Adding my vote to say you are not too old.
Wear whatever looks good, or when you are an old lady you will regret it, there is time enough for twinsets and tweed later in life, get the legs out while you can smile

DIddled Wed 02-Jan-13 19:14:29

The pied a terre one looks promising! Thanks SNS smile

SantasNaughtySack Wed 02-Jan-13 19:09:10

this would be what I'd probably wear it with.
this maybe?
would love this if I had

DIddled Wed 02-Jan-13 18:49:03

Agree shrimp -heels and sheer tights might be a bit hookerish , I think.

Right ladies ... Any ideas on a nice jumper? Thinking a bit lurexy, grey or black?

SantasNaughtySack Wed 02-Jan-13 18:48:45

No way is it too old! Personally I'd only wear it with flat boots and opaques as I'd feel a bit mutton-y pairing it with heels (she says at 25... hmmgrin), but you're definitely not too old for the skirt itself!

shrimponastick Wed 02-Jan-13 18:45:22

I hope not. I bought a pvc skirt from H&M. t is very short. oh, I am 44.

I wear it with thick tights, and a big jumper - rather than sheer tights and stilettos.

No, not too old. I wear a short formal tunic dress to work with thick tights and I get really nice comments from female colleagues. I am 42.

Agree it has to be thick tights, dress down boots ifkwim, and nothing exposed on the top half.

My boss wears a denim mini with Acme zip up ankle boots. Looks fab.

DIddled Wed 02-Jan-13 18:11:30

At 28 I would have gone out in a bikini (had I not just recently given birth) !!!

I'll have to have a try on I thinksmile

Ihatemytoes Wed 02-Jan-13 18:06:26

It's more to do with shape than age, I think. as are most things to do with clothes.

ifancyashandy Wed 02-Jan-13 18:04:04

43 and wear a black leather skater skirt. I have the legs. So no, not too old!

myfirstkitchen Wed 02-Jan-13 18:03:16

Not too old if you're going to trannyshack

Mominatrix Wed 02-Jan-13 18:00:16

Nope. I am about the same age and wear a leather miniskirt without feeling like mutton. Just wear it with thick black tights and a motorcycle boot to balance things out. I also have a black very mini-skirt I wear the same way - I pair it with a loose fitted jumper over a button down white shirt and don't get pitying looks...yet.

mirpuppet Wed 02-Jan-13 17:56:45

No. If you have great legs go for it. envy my thighs are too chunky for me to feel comfortable in mini skirts

Fairylea Wed 02-Jan-13 17:54:31

As long as you pair it with a modest top and thick tights it should be fine smile

And mistletoe!! Shocked! When has 28 EVER been old?!

Alisvolatpropiis Wed 02-Jan-13 17:53:25

Not if you've got the legs for it.

MistletoeAndMerryChristmas Wed 02-Jan-13 17:51:57

I'm 28 and think I'm veering towards too old. So yes.

Bella88 Wed 02-Jan-13 17:49:20

It's veering dangerously close to Shirley from Eastenders territory...proceed with caution! grin

DIddled Wed 02-Jan-13 17:34:28

Ha ha that's great smoothie. I have dropped from a 14 to a 12 - but a 10 is very impressive !!

Skirt was in sale for £99 and I had been eyeing it for some time, I just need to find a nice sloppy jumper to go with it now.

smoothieooo Wed 02-Jan-13 17:07:49

No you're not too old IMO! I wear a lovely tan leather mini (but it's not too short) with opaque black tights and a black polo neck. I'm 45, 5'9 and a size 10 (although still 'feel' like a size 14 in that I'm still not used to being able to easily do up my size 10's) grin

DIddled Wed 02-Jan-13 17:04:55

No good at posting links , but I have just bought black leather mini skirt from Mint velvet. It's quite errrrm short. But lovely quality, far better than the IO one I have just returned.

I am 42 as mentioned, 5 feet 4 and a size 12. I would be looking to team with thick black tights ankle boots etc. Will I be mutton dressed as lamb? My husband says it looks ok but I don't tend to rely on him for fashion advice. TIA

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now