How to make yourself look taller

(35 Posts)
reallylittlelass Tue 01-Jan-13 20:59:39

I am a very tiny lady, 4'10 to be precise. What I want to know is what kind of styles and clothing would make me look taller? I am so embarrased of looking so short, oh I wish i looked taller. It makes me sad how some shallow people really take the piss out of snooki and call her a dwarf and midget.
www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2255520/JWoww-towers-Snooki-girls-dress-impress-glittering-gowns-leading-stars-welcoming-2013-Twitter.html
I am a size 10, am looking for an outfit for my friends wedding, ideally I would like to wear a dress. I know it sounds odd, but am fed up of wearing heels.

scripsi Thu 03-Jan-13 00:40:01

Am watching this with interest, I am petite and now I am back in work full time I need to convey a degree of authority and give an aura of tallness. So far I have taken the approach of skinny jackets which aren't too long. I made the mistake of wearing a full length coat last week and it made me look as if I was playing dress-up!

pickledsiblings Wed 02-Jan-13 22:45:04

really, check out these J Brand cropped skinny cords - massively reduced and very flattering

reallylittlelass Wed 02-Jan-13 18:05:51

Thanks grimma

GrimmaTheNome Wed 02-Jan-13 17:58:47

Well, for a wedding with a dress, even I would probably have a bit of a heel or wedge (something I could still balance in after a glass of bubbly grin) , so this probably isn't the right occasion to experiment with flats - but if you're fed up with heels give them a try elsewhere.

reallylittlelass Wed 02-Jan-13 17:43:14

grimma I am short with heels on, but they make me feel abit more confident, I really wouldn't have the confidence to wear flats sad

GrimmaTheNome Wed 02-Jan-13 17:40:13

I'm short, my DD is 13 and not yet got to my height but most of her friends tower over me. It really doesn't bother me - I grin and tell them to think of me when they're flying and all scrunched up in their seats.

I haven't worn heels for years - I'm still short with them on, they just make me walk less confidently.

reallylittlelass Wed 02-Jan-13 17:31:56

pippop that made me feel good. Yes I would consider wearing a little hat, I am married and my husband is 6ft funnily.

reallylittlelass Wed 02-Jan-13 17:29:21

soacid thanks for that, the coat is bloody beautiful.

pippop1 Wed 02-Jan-13 17:23:10

Would you consider wearing a hat for your friend's wedding? A fascinator type of thing which draws people's eyes to your head and makes you look a little taller?

I am just under 5 foot and, sadly, not a size 10. I was always told not to wear shoes with ankle straps or mary jane type shoes as they shorten your length. Wear clothes with detaling around the neck and shoulders rather than the hem of your skirt/dress as again the eye can be drawn to your upper half rather than the length of your legs.

One good thing (if you are single) is that the slighly smaller man will be attracted to you. My DH is 5ft 6 and DS1 and DS2 are both taller than him. I never had to refuse going out with a man because I was too tall for him, unlike some friends!

If anyone says anything rude to you just reply, with a superior and knowing smile, "haven't you heard, good things come in small packages".

soaccidentprone Wed 02-Jan-13 17:09:50
soaccidentprone Wed 02-Jan-13 17:09:05

sorry' managed to post the same item twice, and now can't find the dress I had posted!

however [[ http://m.johnlewis.com/mt/www.johnlewis.com/355303/Product.aspx this]] would be good for a wedding? with tights and shoes or boots the same colour as the dresses background

soaccidentprone Wed 02-Jan-13 16:58:33

this would draw you eyes vertically and help to appear taller and more svelt

this?

this?

this?

the proportions of the coat look good

you need to think about proportions, small patterns would be better than large patterns, try to draw the eye vertically not horizontally is tights and shoes or trousers and boots the same colour, don't wear one colour top, the a different colour on the bottom, then different colour again footwear!

hope this helps

reallylittlelass Wed 02-Jan-13 09:06:53

justasecond smile
Thank you ladies, I feel much better now. I do usually feel confident until someone starts saying how small i am, usually my daughters friends.

justasecond Tue 01-Jan-13 23:16:45

There is a well dressed petite mum I see at school. She looks best in non fussy simple outfits and she has a short bob with sharp fringe. Not too much pattern. She wears mainly skinny jeans with dark coloured ankle boots with a block cuban heel. Jackets finish at the hip. She does have a knee length coat with quite a bold pattern which drowns her a bit though. Blimey I feel like a stalker now blush

pickledsiblings Tue 01-Jan-13 22:28:43

great hairstyle really

Online shopping (esp John Lewis or other shops with free delivery/returns) makes it much easier to find clothes that fit/suit. One thing I have to be careful of is just buying things because they fit. I am about your height but not quite as slim and things that make me feel confident in how I look are:

1) good quality footwear - it's worth investing in this, wedges work on me, stilettos not so much, and not too high, that extra inch won't make much different to how tall (or not) you look and may make you look uncomfortable and teeter-y

2) well-fitting jeans of the ankle grazing variety (although I tend not to fuss about a bit of bunching at the ankles)

3) a flattering coat that's on trend - be prepared to try on lots

My DD is 11 and she is already towering over me smile. I've stopped dressing specifically to look taller as even with a few added inches I'd still be small. Instead I wear what suits me, in colours that work and fabrics that flatter and I like what I see when I look in the mirror (prefer sitting down photos when I'm with my tall friends though).

Good luck with it all really.

notMarlene Tue 01-Jan-13 22:16:37

x posts, that hair looks fab!

It's just long hair that discuses the neck length that's a problem, I think. My neck is dead short (and stocky) and my new hair does wonders for it.

notMarlene Tue 01-Jan-13 22:15:15

Yeah, that must be really annoying!

Avoid all things vaguely cute, sweet or mousey, go glam and let your personality do the talking, I'd say. Red lipstick is is permanent feature here and I've found I feel taller since I've started dressing more distinctively. I recently had my hair cut into a razor sharp graduated bob with a short, blunt fringe and it definitely makes me look taller than it did when it was long (bra strap length). This sort of thing. Any potential harshness is negated by the innate 'sweetness' of my being small. My hair is dead straight though.

reallylittlelass Tue 01-Jan-13 22:09:48

Thanks electric wink

ElectricMonkBelievesInSanta Tue 01-Jan-13 22:07:29

Oh that hairstyle is lovely, and it's a great length for a petite person!

reallylittlelass Tue 01-Jan-13 22:05:26
ElectricMonkBelievesInSanta Tue 01-Jan-13 22:00:47

You're welcome, reallylittlelass - and I wouldn't worry about mid-length hair making you look shorter, very long hair would but long-ish is nice. If you are looking for a flattering style, have you considered having it graduated at the front a bit like this? That's exactly how I have mine, and I definitely noticed that it made me look a bit taller when I first changed it - I think it's because it leaves more of my collarbone and torso uncovered even when the front bits are hanging forward.

reallylittlelass Tue 01-Jan-13 21:54:18

And it wont be long before my daughters friends are towering over me, she is 9.

reallylittlelass Tue 01-Jan-13 21:53:19

marlene the second dress is lovely, as is the hat. I am usually confident about my height, it's just when someone says "ahhh you're so little and cute".

notMarlene Tue 01-Jan-13 21:50:11

But what's wrong with being wee?

blue
love this, would be great with (leg lengthening) seamed stockings, this in black and simple black heels anlong the lines of these

reallylittlelass Tue 01-Jan-13 21:48:57

Size 10 top and bottom

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now