GHDs Mark 4 hair straightners? <very frizzy hair>

(21 Posts)
BogChicken Mon 31-Dec-12 17:28:47

I'm not really one for 'grooming' per se but I do like to have nice straight hair on occasion, but, it is such an effort. I have v thick, heavy, frizz/curl hair. and I have a pair of Phillips "tressame" straightners. have had them for years. I want to treat myself. Hard year, pretty crap couple of weeks.

I have seen an offer on for the above £79 for the mark 4's (amazon, John Lewis), are they any good? before I shells out my hard earned cash. I can read the reviews etc but they are all a bit jolly for my liking.

Or. are there any others which would be just as good?

VestaCurry Mon 31-Dec-12 17:38:32

My ghd's are about 5 years old. I have used others but they are excellent. I do find using the ghd protection spray makes a difference. Tried cheaper sprays and other expensive brands but went back to ghd as it works best. That's a good price btw.

Pinkflipflop Mon 31-Dec-12 17:41:01

GHD's are the only way - if you have long, thick hair go for th wide plate ones.

FlojoHoHoHo Mon 31-Dec-12 17:42:39

Oh can u link, that seems very reasonable. I've got mark hill ones and I love them but they are very worn now, had them 10 years.
The only thing with ghd is they only have one setting (very hot) but your hair sounds like mine and I need very hot ones anyway

BogChicken Mon 31-Dec-12 17:42:39

Thanks Vesta. I have wanted them for a good number of years so it is not just an impulse buy.

Good tip about the spray, I did notice a difference when i started using it with my own straightners. perhaps I will order a bottle as well!

BogChicken Mon 31-Dec-12 17:43:53

linky

I thought at least if i got them from here i could take them back if they did not work?

VestaCurry Mon 31-Dec-12 17:47:46

Mine have just the one heat setting - wonder if these new ones have different temps?
The main thing I think is not to use them every day (don't need to, my hair stayed in style next day which is unheard of).
Plus deep conditioning a couple of times a week (any old thick consistency does the job for me, I leave it on overnight and cover pillow with a towel).

snozzlemaid Mon 31-Dec-12 17:48:41

I've just bought those ones from amazon for £69 and they were delivered today. They are bloody fantastic. My hair is shoulder length and frizzes at a hint of moisture. I went out this morning in the rain so looked a right state when I got home. Thought I'd give them a go and they made light work of it. So quick and I now have straight,glossy hair.
Bizarrely I had the same ones as you before - Philips, Tresemme - and there's no comparison.

BogChicken Mon 31-Dec-12 17:52:04

snozzlemaid, they were at £69 on amazon a few days ago. then our internet went down and I was not able to place my order. I was absolutely kicking myself!

BogChicken Mon 31-Dec-12 17:54:49

Vesta. they only have the one setting, I wont be using every day definitely not! I wash my hair every 3-4 days and usually in the morning and then wind the windows down to dry! wink

BogChicken Mon 31-Dec-12 20:01:08

I bought them!!!!

I did not get the spray though, I think it's enough spending for one day, and, I will probably be able to pick some up later when I have them and run out my current spray.

I just had cheese flicked at me by grandma, so this made it all happy!

hatgirl Mon 31-Dec-12 20:12:48

bogchicken it sounds like you have very similar hair to me - I found a good squeeze or two of tresseme hair oil through the ends and mid lengths of my hair when it is wet and then a little bit of leave in conditioner of your choice (I use the Aussie stuff) have made all the difference for me - people keep telling me how good condition my hair looks in at the moment.

However, this has also been since I bought a Babylis Big Hair in an attempt to reduce the amount of straightening I do as I think straightening a lot made my hair frizzier in the long run. I use the BBH when my hair is about 90% dry and then finish the style off with the straighteners. These methods combined give me lovely sleek hair for special occasions - its a bit too much effort for every day/ work etc. The straighteners and the hair oil should be enough for general day to day improvement.

I have used various different brands of hair straighteners and GHDs are definitely the best. If only I could afford to buy some... mine broke about 8 months ago and i've been using some rubbish ones since.

MikeLitorisHasChristmasLights Mon 31-Dec-12 20:15:07

My lovely inlaws bought me a pair for christmas. I love them.

I had a pair a few years back and nothing I have used since has compared.

MikeLitorisHasChristmasLights Mon 31-Dec-12 20:16:21

My lovely inlaws bought me a pair for christmas. I love them.

I had a pair a few years back and nothing I have used since has compared.

BogChicken Mon 31-Dec-12 20:31:27

I honestly can't wait! I remember using friend's once, I felt very purty. and when I go to the professional groomers, I always look like a glossy pony. I do mine at home and I look like a slightly flatter version of my own hair.

I wash it with Aussie, and then normally wind dry. If I am going somewhere I blow dry as flat as I can with a bit of damp and then put Tressame spay through it and finish with Frizzease cream. A leave in conditioner sounds like a good idea.

Jemster Tue 01-Jan-13 00:55:14

I've just bought some using John Lewis offer. What does the ghd spray do? Can I use them without this?

snozzlemaid Wed 09-Jan-13 18:10:39

BogChicken just read another thread about straighteners and wondered how you're getting on with your ghds?

Flojobunny Thu 10-Jan-13 18:59:06

I wasn't sure about the rounded barrel for curls as oppose to the square looking ghds?

awaywego1 Thu 10-Jan-13 19:03:02

I'd really recommend the ghd straightening spray-it seems to really protect my hair and also make it slicker. I buy it on eBay cheapskate

WildThong Thu 10-Jan-13 22:58:01
Flojobunny Sat 12-Jan-13 17:28:26

Thanks wild I've just ordered them now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now