My new years resolution this year is to make more effort with my appearance. Who wants to join me?

(906 Posts)
TrampyPants Sun 30-Dec-12 12:30:00

I've never really worn make up, styled my hair or bothered with how I look. That was fine when I was young and fresh. Now I'm 34 (nearly 35) and I want to look good. I have just tried to curl my hair (and failed) and sorted out my make up, throwing out stuff that doesn't suit me.

TrampyPants Wed 02-Jan-13 11:10:09

Aw, thank you. I must admit, I feel really nice. Not inadequate and frumpy like usual grin the jacket was in the h&m sale, £30 to £15 and with codes down to £10, result!

Sweetie, that dress sounds lovely.

Lunar, we'll done!

Wewere, that sounds really nice too, I will have alook for trousers. Any particular shape? How do you like tapered/slim leg?

TrampyPants Wed 02-Jan-13 11:17:02
Panickingpanicking Wed 02-Jan-13 11:22:47

I'm in.

I am 37 years old and I am a scruff bag.

That jacket is lovely Trampy. It looks really versatile and I love the colour!

I'm normally in skinnies and leggings but I'll give any shape a whirl. Thank you for looking!

thinkofablinkingnamewoman Wed 02-Jan-13 12:04:52

I'm in. I got some good advice here over the summer about clothes after I'd lost weight, so my wardrobe's not too bad. I had my hair coloured before Christmas, it's a really great red but I look completely washed out. I now need to learn about makeup! I'll try one of the BB creams I think.

Nice jacket, Trampy.

I'm feeling much better today. Hair is washed and dried (but in a pony tail) and I've got make up on. Am dressed fairly casually in skinnies and a jumper but will put heeled ankle boots and nice new scarf on to go out for lunch later. It's raining (again - WHY did I have to be unwell yesterday, on the one nice day we've had?!) so I will put a sensible coat on instead of my biker jacket - but at least it is a new and fairly smart sensible coat!

I'm doing well at remembering to put handcream on - my hands are those of a crone lately.

Talisin Wed 02-Jan-13 12:44:42

Oh I got that jacket as well, Trampy, but in tan (I lusted after the burgundy one but none left in my size). It is lovely smile

SleighbellsRingInYourLife Wed 02-Jan-13 13:33:59

Nice jacket, Trampy smile

Panicking - 37 year old scruff bag? That's me too! smile

I don't even want to describe my outfit today, but it's trousers and a jumper. It's OK. Not one of my worst days.

I've started using face wash and toner again after Christmas when I didn't bother.

TrampyPants Wed 02-Jan-13 14:57:02

Thanks all, got compliments at lunch too, which was nice. Although joints are really bad now (on train home) so I'll be in me pj's by 5!

The problem with dyeing your hair is that you need to tweak make up too, don't you? When I went from brunette back to my natural red I had to change all my make up around.

TrampyPants Wed 02-Jan-13 14:59:33

Oh, and did my nails on the train. It saved me time at home. Used leightonb denny supermodel (a fab neutral mid brown) and used essie good to go topcoat. Made it touch dry in seconds. Now they feel really solid.

Tigerstripes Wed 02-Jan-13 16:51:23

I'm liking the sound of this primer that you all seem to wear. I don't like wearing foundation in the day as i find it too heavy so have been wearing BB cream but might branch out to primer as well/instead. Can anyone recommend a certain brand?

TrampyPants Wed 02-Jan-13 18:07:33

I love benefit pore-fressional. I had a free sample and its brilliant. Nivea do a nice one too and smashbox photo luminizer is also good, but the benefit is a fab allrounder imo.

mrscog Wed 02-Jan-13 18:44:05

Right, met my friend for lunch today - wore new jumper I got for Christmas (rather than thinking ooh better save this for best), and did my hair and make up before I went. Felt great! Also still have nails done from weekend so that helped too.

MrsPennyapple Wed 02-Jan-13 18:46:42

Hello all, I went into town shopping today so dressed in black cords and a long cowl-neck black jumper, left my hair down (even though it was a bit fuzzy and rubbish), and put eye liner, a tiny bit of shadow and mascara on. I was driving so wore my flat trainers, meant to take my boots to change but forgot. Oh well, the trainers look ok, not ideal but at least my socks weren't showing.

I was looking for some very natural-looking eye shadow but didn't see anything appropriate. Any recommendations?

I'm zero make-up today (my normal state) and probably will be tomorrow as we'll be out tramping across the moors, but ... I did get round to cutting my hair!

Did the MN haircut, but still leaving the layers very long, then tied it at the back then ta the front and took about 3 inches off. And did my fringe. I'm starting to get quite good at it now smile

TrampyPants Wed 02-Jan-13 19:01:05

Mrscog, misspennyapple, they both sound great. It really does make a difference to how you feel, doesn't it? I'm currently browsing cheapsmells for things to treat myself to.

Misspenny, Avon have a really nice one. So do MUA. My favorite is revlon white whisper colourways. It's matte and just light enough to brighten the eyes. And no7 stay perfect eye mousse in vanilla. It's more shimmery.

I need a good mascara if anyone can help me. Preferably clear or non-flake.

TrampyPants Wed 02-Jan-13 19:02:19

Jammy, were you scared?

Bit nervous the first time but it was still long enough to disguise it if I made it too wonky.

And with my fringe I just decided hairdressers never quite did it right - it has a great kink in it (especially if I don't blow dry it or get caught in the rain) and if the centre is cut at a modern trendy angle, my grey streak sticks up and shouts 'look at me!' It took a bit longer to get right but I think I'm happy with it now.

I like that jacket by the way!

Ooh Jammy, what's the Mn haircut?

StickEmWithThePointyEnd Wed 02-Jan-13 19:14:46

I tried the mumsnet haircut once. It did not work. I had to pretend I'd let a "trainee-hairdresser relative" practice on me when I went to the hairdresser to get it fixed. blush

I have my boots order! I got a moisturiser (garnier youthful radiance day and night as they were buy one get one free), mascara although having tried it out I'm wondering if I just need some eyelash curlers instead as my eyelashes are long as they are. I also got a decent lipstick, which I think is actually very similar in colour to one my mum used to wear confused maybe that's why I was drawn to it? I'm starting with lipstick, mascara and moisturiser as I don't wear any make up or do anything with my skin (other than wash it) and need to build up my confidence with a little make up before experimenting a bit more.

I'll go and see if I can find a link somewhere. It can go wrong, especially if you cut it too short - I do it so my shortest layer is chin height, and tend not to tie it right at the crown. Off to look...

TrampyPants Wed 02-Jan-13 19:36:46

There's a magical halfhour when your fringe is the perfect length, isn't there? And thanks

Stickem, that all sounds perfect, I am such a cheapskate, I like playing with make up though. Working out what looks right.

AlwaysReadyForABlether Wed 02-Jan-13 19:37:37

Can I join in? I'm guilty of having a 'uniform' for work of black trousers and a top - would really like to be a bit braver and try different things. Hopefully should be getting a bonus from work in March so planning to go to John Lewis for a personal shopping appointment to try some new things.
I've also got quite a lot of skin care products but am lazy at using them - they're never going to work if they're sitting in the cupboard!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now