My new years resolution this year is to make more effort with my appearance. Who wants to join me?

(906 Posts)
TrampyPants Sun 30-Dec-12 12:30:00

I've never really worn make up, styled my hair or bothered with how I look. That was fine when I was young and fresh. Now I'm 34 (nearly 35) and I want to look good. I have just tried to curl my hair (and failed) and sorted out my make up, throwing out stuff that doesn't suit me.

LetMeAtTheWine Mon 21-Jan-13 19:44:52

At least you made the effort Remus! Did you wear wellies to get to work though? I am trying to imagine someone trudging in the snow whilst wearing a pencil skirt and heels. It is an odd image to say the least! smile
I made next to no effort today - no make up, hair scraped back, black skinny jeans, white long sleeved t-shirt and white bump band, black jumper (that resembles a crop top as my tummy is now too big) and a colourful grey, turquoise, white and pink scarf. Worn with grey long boots. Did not look tidy but was warm and comfy... blush

Yes, I wore wellies (with my pencil skirt!) and then changed shoes at work! smile

I didn't make much of an effort tbh. Like you, my hair was scraped back into a clip and I had v minimal make up - just eyeliner and then shoved some lipstick on for a meeting.

TrampyPants Tue 22-Jan-13 11:37:56

hello all! I am finally almost better!!

Hello Trampy, glad to read you're doing ok!

Im in layers, obv, nowt to shout about. Blue skinnies, long sleeved top, grey cardy, massive cardy, pair of dh's lovely thick work socks blush (In my defense, when wearing my brown stompy boots these socks are a little higher than the leg of the boot so a) I look rad smile and b) they dont get pulled down like normal socks and end up in my boot only half on my feet and thoroughly doing my head in.

I cant wait for this snow to bog off

Glad to hear you're on the mend, Trampy.

My skin feels dry and horrible and my hair is like straw. Will moisturise and condition all over tonight!

Clothes boring again today;
black dress - Wh5te C60-any
black and white

Will try again!

Black dress - White Company
black and white striped top underneath - M&S
black cropped jacket - charity shop
black tights and heels
leopard print scarf - H&M
beige nails - Revlon

LetMeAtTheWine Tue 22-Jan-13 19:16:30

I was lazy again today - some things never change...
Black trousers, berry coloured vest and chiffon shirt thing, grey cardi and grey patterned scarf. No make up and hair all over the place. Must remember not to go to bed with wet hair! shock
On a positive note, skin is thoroughly moisturised. Well, one step at a time...

Pleased to hear you are feeling better Trampy, hopefully will keep improving smile

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Tue 22-Jan-13 19:44:39

Hi all, Can I join you? I need to really make more of an effort I've let myself go so badly.

I need makeup help... I want to start wearing a bit of makeup every day. I need to know essentials you wear on a daily basis? Any tips and recs?

Clothes wise I can't really alter without £££ and I havent many of those to go round and what I have isn't too bad tbh.

I don't need to lose weight thankfully. For the first time in 10 years I am finally happy with my figure.

Just my face that needs prefessional help! grin

Whoknowswhocares Tue 22-Jan-13 22:26:20

Hi all. Hope you are surviving the bloomin' weather. Good you are on the mend now, Trampy

Have finally managed to get my hair cut today, and have also done a quick pedi, defuzzed and put fake tan on legs. Not entirely sure why, given the chances of leg exposure!!!!! Still, it makes me feel more polished.
Have also been trawling websites and fashion blogs for ideas and have had an attitude adjustment....I have loads of clothes, seriously LOADS. But somehow I've never taken any time to put them together into outfits and work out what bits would fill the gaps. Have spent ages on the putmetogether site mentioned on here which has really helped me see where I've been going wrong and now need to go though wardrobe putting stuff together. I need to concentrate more on accessories..... None of my clothes look 'pulled together' but today I put a belt over my jumper dress and the difference was amazing
So a trawl of the charity shops for scarves and belts is in order.

Sorry, that turned into one heck of a waffle!

Mimishimi Wed 23-Jan-13 00:58:29

Coconuts, I posted a few pages back. There's a makeup artist called Lisa Eldridge on Youtube who has quite a few really good videos on different makeup looks and how to apply it. I've found another good one from a Youtuber called 'JulielovesMac' - she's French but easy enough to follow what she is doing. Her looks are a little more evening oriented.

happynappies Wed 23-Jan-13 02:38:48

Coconuts: BB cream, blusher a d lip gloss. When I want to feel better I get my eyebrows shaped, only costs couple of quid but makes a real difference. Maybe nice eyeliner pencil too?

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Wed 23-Jan-13 11:34:06

happynappies - yes my eye brows are in dire need of a shape. haven't done anything with them in months.blush that's the job for this week.

went up town this morn and bought a new eye liner, eyelash curler and a new mascara. i need a serious hair removal sesh too. not much then hey! grin

TrampyPants Wed 23-Jan-13 16:56:42

Oh, the difference a belt makes! I am falling in love with accessories, if your clothes are a statement, accessories are the subtext.

My seche vote came yesterday and it's awesome. My polish has held up all day, which makes a nice change. Only £6.50 too.

I've been keeping on top of my eyebrows and hair removal, as well as lotioning. Being ill meant no make up and pj's for a while, but I'm back on form.

Today's outfit was a stripey loose 3/4 sleeve tshirt, indigo skinnier and my teal h+m blazer. Brown biker boots and tweed coat with leather gloves. My hair is dyed and cut, I have also fallen forclarins copper glaze lipstick.

Dh has bought me the most beautiful soft brown leather boots with a 2" heel (just high enough) they are almost cowboy shape and so flattering.

How I lovethem that man!

muddlingalongquitenicely Wed 23-Jan-13 19:38:19

I have been trying all week mostly keeping my skin and nails from drying out and so far its all good. Also dyed my hair and I have this Friday off and have lots of good intentions to do my eye brows and defuzz also clear out my wardrobe and browse websites for ideas as its payday next week and I already have a shopping list.
If your in a hurry to put make up on in the morning is it best to go for a cream one or a powder?

TrampyPants Wed 23-Jan-13 19:53:04

I like the mineral makeup up kf I'm in arush.

Lakota Wed 23-Jan-13 19:59:53

Seche Vite is probably my all time best beauty buy - I have my full manicure down to about 10 minutes now! Your boots sound gorgeous Trampy.

I have made a real effort to keep up with legs/bikini line and moisturising/body lotion/handcream and I have noticed a difference over the last couple of days.

I'm getting my hair trimmed tomorrow and a mini pedicure next week (once the snow has hopefully gone, don't fancy wearing flipflops otherwise!)

Does anyone have a miracle product for ingrown hairs? I get them on my legs after epilating/waxing, but shaving also gives me a rash (and I am slapdash and slice myself open regularly). At the moment I use Bliss stuff but while it's quite good it's expensive and I have to buy it on eBay from the States. I tried Tend Skin but wasn't sure it was doing much and DH and kids hated the smell!

Also need recommendations for a new eye cream as I've just found out the Origins Night a Mins one I used to use has been discontinued.

TrampyPants Wed 23-Jan-13 20:49:17

Tank you!

Have you tried veet hair minimizing lotion?

Lakota Wed 23-Jan-13 20:56:09

No, I will look into it. Is that a remover or a moisturiser?

TrampyPants Wed 23-Jan-13 21:15:37

It's a moisturizer with a touch of hair remover, so it thinsrather than gets rid. Its meant to be good for ingrowinghairs.

Lakota Wed 23-Jan-13 21:20:23

Fab thanks, I will try it.

muddlingalongquitenicely Thu 24-Jan-13 08:36:33

Got to work early today so have done my nails, really need to sort out a morning make up routine.
Today I'm wearing black leggings, purple flowery dress and brown calf length boots. Going to check out polyvore at lunch time for outfit ideas

Whoknowswhocares Thu 24-Jan-13 09:12:45

OUCH!!!!!! My thighs feel like they are about to explode! Did a new (vicious grin ) body toning class yesterday. If pain is the measure of how much good it has done then I will definitely NOT look like a parsnip in skinny jeans this year!!

Off to the shops today for a look round and to return one of the jumper dresses as it did nothing for me. Have put together outfit that looks fairly ok and hopefully a wander will ease off the stiffness in legs.
Have a good day everyone

cjbk1 Thu 24-Jan-13 10:39:18

morning all! just wanted to brag how well iv done under the circumstances;
woke up at 08:10 dh had got dd1&ds fed&dressed, baby dd2 still asleep, my tops, vests and even knickers for today had failed to dry at all properly in the washer/dryer last night etc etc but I managed to cobble together; burgundy treggings, floral tunic over stripy t-shirt (wld clash if anyone saw it) steel grey long wool cardi , decent Clarks boots, grey anorak....and the children got to school ok ...go me lol!

cjbk1 Thu 24-Jan-13 10:40:50

Ps-I think my face/hair looked ok

TrampyPants Thu 24-Jan-13 10:58:51

That sounds fab! I love clashing patterns, floral and stripes look ace together. And well done!

Whoknows, ouch! Hope your legs are feeling better. Good luck with your shopping, I love jumper dresses.

Muddling, that sounds fab!

Today I'm in jeggings, cream baggy jumper, stripey wool socks and low grey ankle boots.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now