My new years resolution this year is to make more effort with my appearance. Who wants to join me?

(906 Posts)
TrampyPants Sun 30-Dec-12 12:30:00

I've never really worn make up, styled my hair or bothered with how I look. That was fine when I was young and fresh. Now I'm 34 (nearly 35) and I want to look good. I have just tried to curl my hair (and failed) and sorted out my make up, throwing out stuff that doesn't suit me.

Alaska77 Wed 16-Jan-13 20:43:12

Buying ANY not buying Asia! Bloody predictive text!

TrampyPants Wed 16-Jan-13 20:59:00

hi all! happy, I am a big fan of skinnies and boots. I wear mine with these boots a LOT they are so warm and comfy. I also wear biker boots. usually brown.

still fecking ill! cold has got worse and I have spent all day wrapped up in a slanket. but with make up on! getting hair done tomorrow like this undecided on colour though. I dont know whether to go chestnut brown or redder.

I live in skinnies and boots at the weekend. Either heeled ankle boots, with a stacked heel and slightly loose/slouchy at the top, or a cross between bikers and Cuban. Will try and find similar and link.

TrampyPants Wed 16-Jan-13 21:26:26

I am so rubbish at wearing heels. pre-ds I lived in heels, now I am stuck in flats.

Evening all, thankyou trampy that is pretty much exactly the sort of top I was looking for, I think I will have a visit to town friday or Saturday to see if I can see it in store.
So bit of a rubbish day with hair today, still neat and tidy but I had it all pulled off my face, but although I was at eork I only had a few hours to do so I took my work clothes with me and I wore my black norley cedar boots from clarks with leggings and a silky top. It was too cold so I had a navy padded parka with a furry hood teamed with a mahoosive chunky cream scarf, nothing exciting tbh but I felt better just by wearing something different.
Nice to see lots of newbies, hope you find this thread as inspiring as myself.

Whoknowswhocares Wed 16-Jan-13 21:37:42

I love those boots Remus.....you have very good taste!

Fleece lined tights.... Mine were from Primark. About £4 i think.Only had them a short while but so far they wash well and are toasty warm. Also the fleece makes them extra dark, which I prefer. They do them in black, navy and errr burgundy I think.
Someone on here recommended M and S for doing good ones too. HTH

AlwaysReadyForABlether Wed 16-Jan-13 21:38:19

Can someone link to a jumper dress? I have a feeling that I may be too chunky for one and it would just add more bulk. But I'm willing to be re-educated!

AlwaysReadyForABlether Wed 16-Jan-13 21:59:25

Thanks Remus it looks great but I have too much of a tummy to get away with that.

That's where M&S sucker inner tights come in! smile

happynappies Wed 16-Jan-13 22:13:28

Thank you for the boots links, so ankle boots is the way forward? I'll mooch around online for some more inspiration smile

AlwaysReadyForABlether Wed 16-Jan-13 22:30:28

I doubt they could suck me in by two dress sizes!

Shaky Wed 16-Jan-13 22:30:54

Gah! I have never really worn heels since my own mother told me I have canclkles aged 14) I have had one pair of boots which fitted my legs for 5 yrs. I am now 3 stone lighter (8 1/2 stone) . Can you gorgeous, glam ladies point me in the right not expensive direction?

TrampyPants Wed 16-Jan-13 22:39:52

Shaky, I'm the opposite. I have super skinny fragile ankles that look like they'll snap. That's why I need loose boots.

frazzled74 Wed 16-Jan-13 22:43:07

thanks to you all ,I am starting to resemble slightly glam. Today i wore jumper dress, opaques and biker boots, really need some ankle boots and at least 2 new jumper dresses, are wrap dresses out now? as i find them quite flattering. Got some lovely pamper stuff today in the boots 75% off sale so my plan for tomorrow is to have a pamper day after the school run and sort out my wardrobe

TrampyPants Thu 17-Jan-13 08:15:29

Frazzled, I would wear them anyway if they suit you!

Wrt jumperdresses, la redoute has a good range. I find the same as remus, tights and dress looks far better on me than leggings and tunic.

Today we have snow!! And I'm getting my hair done.

muddlingalongquitenicely Thu 17-Jan-13 08:53:59

Today I am sitting in a freezing cold office trying to look glam with my red fleece scarf wrapped around my neck black and white print skater style dress black opaques biker boots and slouchy cardigan.

My hands are so dry from this cold weather trying to keep putting hand cream on they feel papery sad
Last night I made myself an amazon wish list where I can import items from other websites, told my hubby and he has it book marked on his phone just in case he wants to treat me lol!

cjbk1 Thu 17-Jan-13 09:23:21

isn't it great shaky when your mum says something like that when you're young? my mum gave me (small) breast issues from that age...iv often cancelled going out coz I feel so bad hmm

TrampyPants Thu 17-Jan-13 09:37:13

arent mums great. mine's awful too. apparently, the only thing I do well is bake. which was nice.

TrampyPants Thu 17-Jan-13 09:38:08

muddling, this weather makes fabulizing hard, doesnt it? good idea, wrt wishlist. I might do that myself!

Morning! Im still doing the layers, layers and more layers. Accessorising with a woolly blanket around my legs blush Brr I ask you!

That sounds like a good idea muddling, the prices on amazon can be really good sometimes.

Holy crap its just started snowing.......

<gets hat

muddlingalongquitenicely Thu 17-Jan-13 13:27:24

I went on new look and matalan last night and as I added the wish list button from amazon on to my toolbar(?) it added anything I clicked on from those sites and I could write a message with sizes or colours. Going to add some more things later on!

Alaska77 Thu 17-Jan-13 13:41:14

Thanks for the Amazon tip, I'll give it a go.

Shaky try Clarks or M&S for not-too-expensive ankle boots (esp. during sale)

I wear both jumper dresses with opaques and tunics with leggings, but I tend to do the former on work days and the latter on weekends. Not really sure why!

Today's outfit is a loose-ish grey jersey dress (White Co), black cropped blazer (French Connection, very old), thick black tights (M&S) and knee-length black boots with a small heel (Clarks). Feeling suitably layered and cosy!

I agree, fabulizing in this weather is a bit of a challenge. We haven't really had snow yet (due tomorrow and the weekend) but it's been freezing and normally I would have reached for my thick jumpers and leggings but I've been encouraging myself to be a bit more creative and I'm feeling better for it.

So, those of you on the thread from a week or more ago may recall me talking about signing up for a gymnastics class. Well, my trial session is tonight so wish me luck and I'll report back in the morning. I'm a teeny bit excited because I loved gymnastics as a child but I'm also a bit shock hmm and blush because WTF am I doing?!! I'm not 13 any more! Aargh!

Good luck Alaska! Bet you'll be better than you thought grin

I want to go into town for a blazer and trousers. I have no money though. Sigh

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now