My new years resolution this year is to make more effort with my appearance. Who wants to join me?

(906 Posts)
TrampyPants Sun 30-Dec-12 12:30:00

I've never really worn make up, styled my hair or bothered with how I look. That was fine when I was young and fresh. Now I'm 34 (nearly 35) and I want to look good. I have just tried to curl my hair (and failed) and sorted out my make up, throwing out stuff that doesn't suit me.

Alaska77 Thu 10-Jan-13 14:12:54

Trampy, not Tramps! Sorry, predictive text...

AlwaysReadyForABlether Thu 10-Jan-13 14:17:27

ALERT! ALERT! ALERT!

I need some serious beauty boot camp action. I have been following this thread since the beginning but obviously not doing things right. I just dropped my Mum off at the hospital for a procedure - the nurse asked if I was her younger sister. I am 43 - my Mum is 72 shock.

Granted I haven't had a great week. I had a tummy bug for a couple of days then a really busy day at work to catch up on what I'd missed. The cat was limping badly so I had to take him to the vet this morning and then drive for an hour to pick up my Mum.

But really - I didn't think I looked 30 years older!!

Some serious work required over the next few days weeks months

TrampyPants Thu 10-Jan-13 14:22:13

always shock did you punch her? do you look particularly pale today? we are never at our best after an illness, esp when stressed. can you pop some cheektint into your bag or something for an instant boost?

thinkofablinkingnamewoman Thu 10-Jan-13 15:04:20

It's been a mixed day. Went swimming before work but took hairdrier and makeup and made an effort. Black pencil skirt (not as awesome as a leopard print one which I'm going to hunt down this weekend) and a black and pink patterned top - one of the first times I've looked as if I have a waist for ages! Felt pretty smug until I got into work and found I was wearing one black shoe and one navy one (they are identical - I liked them so much I bought a second pair). Have spent day hiding behind my desk so noone has seen my waist or my legs, which looked better than I expected in the skirt. Could do better.
It's dress down Friday tomorrow, so will be trying straight Levis with ballet shoes, strappy black top and blue White stuff smartish cardi. I think.
Anyone got any advice or comments on Mac make-up? Apparently it's cheaper here than the UK but I've never used it.

AlwaysReadyForABlether Thu 10-Jan-13 15:11:57

Trampy its certainly taught me never to go out without make- up again!

PS Can you PM me your blog thanks.

Ambassadoryouarespoilingme Thu 10-Jan-13 15:28:39

Welcome newbies! I've always been more of a lurker than a poster on MN, so to have this ongoing thread is bringing me much joy (and distraction, especially as I'm supposed to be working from home - eek). My DH asked what I was doing the other night, and was completely confused that I was 'emailing people you have never met to talk about make up?' Errm, yes.

Trampy can you PM me your blog too pls?

I'm feeling quite enthused by all your messages and grooming activities. For me, today, there is good and bad news. The good news is that i went running this morning, and that makes about 28 km this week so far (quite slowly) and 4lbs off, so am happy with that. With low carbing (but with the inclusion of fruit and dark choc) and using MyFitnessPal, I'm not finding it too hard.

On the downside, I came home and got straight into my work, and so have not had a shower or put on any make up, nice clothes etc. Of course, today is the day that various people have called round. It never happens when I look vaguely human.

Happy Thursday everyone.

TrampyPants Thu 10-Jan-13 15:29:31

Think, arsation! That's crap, but it sounds like you looked fabulous. Mac is brilliant, or so I've heard, v professional. I know the brushes are highly sought after too (I was looking for new ones)

Always grin and of course. Will do in a second.

Ambassadoryouarespoilingme Thu 10-Jan-13 15:29:40

Thinkofablinkingname... I love the blue/black shoe problem... its exactly the kind of thing I do. grin

Alaska77 Thu 10-Jan-13 15:31:25

think I'm loving your story about the mismatched shoes! Such a shame since you put in the effort with your outfit and make up. You'll have to hide at your desk until it's dark outside then dash home! Your dress-down outfit for tomorrow sounds really nice.

So, I'm in London now for a black tie 'do' tonight relating to work. I'm going to be wearing this dress with black tights and black heels. I'm also going to try to do something a bit different with my hair, maybe see if I can do curls or waves with my straightners. Never done that before. Any tips?

Ahead of tonight's shindig I've also painted my nails for the first time since starting this new display of fabulousness. Feeling a little smug!

think I don't know too much about makeup but I have a couple of MAC bits and bobs and they're nice. I've had a mineralize powder before which was nice and I have a couple of brushes (the only ones I own). I find makeup all a bit confusing, to be honest blush

TrampyPants Thu 10-Jan-13 15:37:09

Ambassador, well done! I am very impressed.

I love make up, even though Ive only just started wearing it. I love discovering what looks good and what makes me look like a corpse.

TrampyPants Thu 10-Jan-13 15:38:35

And Alaska, have fun tonight, I'm certain you will look fabulous!

Alaska77 Thu 10-Jan-13 15:47:21

Thanks Trampy, I'll feed back on the results of the twirly whirly hair tomorrow after I've recovered.

I was quite looking forward to it until TOTM came along today sad . Now I'm hoping to cover up my TOTM bloat with my sequins! And I'll have to load up on lipgloss before I leave the hotel because my teeny tiny clutch bag won't have enough room to hold emergency makeup AND heavy-duty sanitary towels! Oh well, you win some you lose some wink

Hya alaska77 I curl my hair using straighteners, I start ehere I want the curl to start and turn the straighteners 180 degrees, a bit like curling ribbon. Remember to turn the straighteners outwards from your face so turn it out right on your right side and leftnon your left side. Hth, anyway have a fabulous and glamourous night.

frazzled74 Thu 10-Jan-13 19:07:49

well i usually like a boho chic look but am quite liking the look of tania from eastenders at the moment.So if anyone can guide me in what to wear i would appreciate it.

Well, I went with the leopard print and got lots of lovely comments on it. I am very, very pleased with it and the fabric is really lovely.

Liking the Adams family dress - is her name Tuesday or Wednesday? Mind has gone blank! It would look beyond awful on me but would be fabbo on somebody flat chested and quirky.

Going to put on nail strengthener tonight and try and get some beauty sleep. Tomorrow's outfit needs to be based around flats as I have a lot of walking to do, so am thinking of either:

black cigarette trousers, black blazer, black top, leopard print flats and chunky silver cuff OR

black mini-ish jersey dress with black opaques, grey blazer and red flats, with red lipstick OR

striped Breton mini dress, navy opaques, navy sailor-ish jacket and red flats and lipstick (too Spring-like, I think) OR

black and khaki striped jumper dress, cropped military black blazer, opaques and biker boots OR something else entirely.

What do you think?

AlwaysReadyForABlether Thu 10-Jan-13 20:05:56

Remus all those outfits sound fab! I think some people on here are imposters - a lot of you seem waaaay more together than you're letting on.
I do particularly like the sound of the black dress with the red shoes.

GeorginaWorsley Thu 10-Jan-13 20:19:00

Will weigh myself at work tomorrow,been using MFP and hope I have lost a kg or so!
Been walking most days,except today when DH off so went out for lunch instead.grin
Always wear makeup,but have listed some stuff on ebay as my wardrobes are overflowing and some serious culling required.

TrampyPants Thu 10-Jan-13 20:35:38

I vote for the trousers and leopard print shoes, esp if you wore a dress today.

Always grin I think we are helping each other up our games!

Georgina, well done and good luck, I'm jealous of lunch out. Ebaying sounds fab.

motherofvikings Thu 10-Jan-13 20:49:35

Hmmmm, I think some of us are ringers - too many outfits sounding way too gorgeous! grin

I have a day to myself shopping on Saturday. Can someone please suggest some ideas of things I can get to get me started. I have skinny jeans/ jeggings sorted but need a bit more in the way of jumpers/ long sleeve tshirts.

Any ideas? Am worried I'm going to mooch about and feel like I've wasted a child free opportunity! confused

I suspect I'm making them sound better than they actually are - I have a nasty knack of making lovely clothes look scarecrowish. Think I'll go for the mini dress and red shoes, unless it's raining in which case I may go for the biker boots option.

I failed entirely in buying a jumper or any long sleeved tops last week, despite my best efforts - but I have very occasionally had some luck with M&S Ltd Collection (you have to sift through a lot of crap) for 100% cotton jumpers.

motherofvikings Thu 10-Jan-13 22:36:59

Thanks Remus! smile I'll have a look through marks. I think part of my trouble with shipping is I like to see things quickly. No rummaging around sale scraps for me- it makes me twitchy seeing a messy shop floor! blush

Remus I've hot to say your outfits sound great, definitely in a league above where I am right now.
I like the sound of the cigarette trousers and leopard pumps, just sounds easy and chic.
Well I have been a good girl and have been out for a run, it really hurt tonight the air was so cold, feel better for it now though.
Off to do night skin routine and drink some water.
Underwear shopping tomorrow, I am desperate for new knickers, think I will toddle off to marks to have a nosy at the 3 for £10 ones mentioned up thread.

frazzled74 Thu 10-Jan-13 23:11:30

Well I have made a proper start as am going into work with the baby tomorrow to show her off and sign back to work forms. Ive had a soak with my sanctuary bubbles, and moisturised plus shaved legs and given myself a manicure and pedicure. Am just about to slap some ponds cold cream on my face before bed. I must go to boots tomorrow and look for some facial products and maybe buy the bb cream.

AlwaysReadyForABlether Thu 10-Jan-13 23:15:12

Has anyone seen or tried the new b. range in Superdrug? It includes everything - cleansers,moisturiser, bb cream, foundation, nail varnish etc. I've only seen it online so can' t vouch for the quality. But it might be a good one stop shop for anyone short on time or the "non- shoppers" amongst us.

Mimishimi Fri 11-Jan-13 09:01:34

I'd like to join. I have started by buying a bit more makeup this year. I never used to bother much because I didn't know how to apply it properly and was too shy to approach those glamorous counters in case I got pushed into buying whole product lines or something blush. Now I'm 36 and I don't think I can really get away with just mascara and lipgloss anymore. I've discovered makeup tutorials on YouTube ( Lisa Eldridge and Carlibel55 have been great) and I find myself enjoying it more than I expected. They've also given me the confidence to approach those counters for specific products rather than browsing with no clear idea of what I would like.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now