My new years resolution this year is to make more effort with my appearance. Who wants to join me?

(906 Posts)
TrampyPants Sun 30-Dec-12 12:30:00

I've never really worn make up, styled my hair or bothered with how I look. That was fine when I was young and fresh. Now I'm 34 (nearly 35) and I want to look good. I have just tried to curl my hair (and failed) and sorted out my make up, throwing out stuff that doesn't suit me.

Lavenderhoney Thu 03-Jan-13 13:49:47

Sorted my make up, accessories, hair stuff, so it's all neat and tidy and easy to see. Hung all costume jewellery up in wardrobe, put away nicely all valuable jewellery. All has to be out of reach of dcsmile

Chucked out all manky shoes. Tidied shoe cupboard, cleaned and sprayed all the shoes. Even dh's.

Bought new handbag. Bought little bags to go in it so hand cream and handgel doesn't grunge over it. I will not put snacks and beakers in it. I have promised myselfsmile

Unfortunately df left to themselves have trashed the lounge in a wild game of spaceships.

Have to do closet tomorrow.

YouCanCallMeBetty Thu 03-Jan-13 15:58:20

Feeling far from fabulous today - water softener has broken so my scalp is all itchy and scaly. Slathered it in olive oil last night so look like a greaseball. Going to try washing it in bottled water later.

Just leggings, dress and my Nike Blazer high-tops today, which don't really fit with the fabulous new me and I'm probably about 20 years too old for but I love! At nursery pick-up the teenage nursery nurse said 'OMG your trainers are well funky!' grin

Hi all. Body lotion and handcream on; make up on; nail varnish on - hair still not dyed. I'm dressed reasonably well - just a jumper dress, opaques and biker jacket which was fine for a mooch around town. I bought some khaki skinnies from Topshop and was amazed that even having eaten like a seagull all though December, I still fit into a TS size 12! Hope to lose the half a stone I put back on v soon - will go for a run either tonight or tomorrow.

I looked EVERYWHERE for some long sleeve tops and a plain black jumper though and failed totally. I just want decent quality long body long sleeved striped tops and a black cowl neck three quarter or short sleeved jumper. Nothing. sad

TrampyPants Thu 03-Jan-13 16:06:09

Am also non-fab today. Arthritis is shockingly bad and hips are swollen so can't walk. Will do a proper post later (managed to do eyebrows though and a mask) but well done to everyone!

SleighbellsRingInYourLife Thu 03-Jan-13 16:27:42

I've been avoiding this thread today because I am totally letting the side down - wearing yesterday's clothes, no shower, nothing blush

I was awake half the night with DD3 and could not get going this morning.

Sorry you're feeling rubbish, Trampy. Seems like you're doing pretty well anyway.

For me this is a full year project, so as long as I keep doing my Tuplers and continue to eat moderately, I'm OK for January.

Daily showers and changes of clothes will be reinstated forthwith grin

Alaska77 Thu 03-Jan-13 16:55:49

Sorry Trampy and Sleigh that you're feeling rubbish. Onwards and upwards, here's to a more positive tomorrow.

Well done Lavender, sounds like you've really made a great start. You've inspired me to do the same! DH is out for a curry tonight so I may tackle my make-up and wardrobe!

Karbea Thu 03-Jan-13 17:13:00

Hello,

I've not been very good sad

I haven't done any exercise, I'm eating leftover crisps and chocs but! I have tidied my wardrobe, clothes cupboards and shoes.

I reckon I'll be good to start exercise/healthy eating on Monday when DH goes back to work :-S

I did wear makeup and put my hair in a platt today. So a little bit of effort...

I went out, looked and felt good then got pooed on by a poxy pigeon. angrygrin Did a good half hours fast walking down the big hill to town and then to the seafront and ran round the park with DC's, it does count as exercise, doesn't it?

I must sort my monobrow eyebrows tonight and repaint my nails.

whiteandyelloworchid Thu 03-Jan-13 17:40:54

hi, i would liek to join, in fact i was thinking of posting exactley this, when i make an effort with doing my hair and wearing something nice, i do feel \ bit better, i also feel a bit guilty that looks shoule be important to me or others, but then again, people do judge and it effects how others are towards you, when you look good, people tend to be nicer and friendlier towards you

although must admit, i can be a terrible slob.

i swing from wearing sruffy baggy clothes, hair scrapped back, no make up

to bit of make up, hair done, nice clothes

i also want to start making more effort with my skin, but i'm not really starting until next week, when its back to school

Roasted pigeon for dinner tonight then, WeWere? Horrible creature.

Hope all those not feeling great today feel better tomorrow.

SO - what can I wear with my new jeans tomorrow, since I failed to buy a jumper?

MrsPennyapple Thu 03-Jan-13 18:33:45

Sorry you're having a hurty day, Trampy

Not looking great here either, also in yesterday's clothes, but with hair roughly tied back and no make up. (FWIW I don't feel the need to wash clothes after a single wear, I know some disagree but that's a thread of it's own right there!)

However, I have got BLOODY LOADS done in the house today, so I don't mind being a bit scruffy.

AlwaysReadyForABlether Thu 03-Jan-13 18:39:36

Quite proud of myself - did actually get up in time to do my Shred DVD before work. Although I was only in my PJs and when she started doing star jumps I realised I really need my sports bra!
Body brushed before my shower and used body lotion afterwards.
Still in work uniform of black trousers and a top. Smart enough but just very boring. Would really like to wear more skirts and dresses and more colours. Have to be smart for work but not necessarily a suit so separates are fine.

StickEmWithThePointyEnd Thu 03-Jan-13 18:45:59

Ok confession time. I'm actually terrified of going to the gym this weekend. I am planning on doing a yoga class on Saturday and swimming on either Saturday or Sunday morning. The closer the actual day gets the more terrified I get.

It's not helping that when I went to collect my membership card, dh's ex-gf was working there! Dh and her split up over 7 years ago (before he met me). We were all 16 at the time so I think she was a bit heartbroken about their split but seriously, to hide from me after 7 years? Just to clarify I have never done a thing to this woman, other than date her ex-bf. It's seriously putting me off going, which I can't do as I've already paid for it.

StickEmWithThePointyEnd Thu 03-Jan-13 18:48:12

Sorry posted too soon. The other issue scaring me is that I can't remember if I can swim or not. I used to be able to do a couple of lengths front crawl and backstroke but I haven't been swimming since I was about 14 or 15. Do think it's a good idea to go in there (when I pluck up the courage) with the goal of just two lengths. That way anything I do extra is a bonus and the next week I can aim for 3 lengths etc. Do you think that will work?

AuntPittypat Thu 03-Jan-13 19:09:16

Hi all,
Sorry you're having a bad day, Trampy. I'm impressed you still did your eyebrows and the mask!

And sorry about the pidgeon poo, wewere, it is supposed to be good luck though so maybe you should go and buy a lottery ticket tonight...

Stickem, you'll definitely be ok in the pool. I don't think swimming is something you forget. Maybe start with a length of breaststroke though and see how it feels before diving straight into the fast lane! And just ignore DH's ex. After 7 years you'd expect her to have moved on and, if not, well, it's totally her problem and given that she'll be working she'll have to act professionally anyway. Did she act weird when you collected your card?

I made more effort make-up wise today and definitely felt more confident. I hate that it takes make-up for me to feel properly relaxed when chatting to strangers! And, as DD's in bed and DP's not home yet, I'm currently luxuriating in a bath with my usually-reserved-for-special-occasions Jo Malone bath oil, and a Clinique moisturising face mask. It's bliss. (Just hope I don't drop my phone...!)

Hope you all have lovely evenings, and Trampy, hope you feel better tomorrow.

StickEmWithThePointyEnd Thu 03-Jan-13 19:29:51

Yes, I was at the desk talking to a member of staff when she came round a corner and started walking towards the desk. She saw me and literally ducked behind a table! I'm telling myself that she is clearly more put off by us meeting than I am (I'd have been nothing but friendly to her had we spoken).

I don't know if anyone else does this but I feel like I have two public personas; the one I have had to develop as a parent and professionally which is someone who will try anything, be brave, be confident, be assertive. And then I have the persona that is afraid of drawing attention to herself or wearing makeup and wouldn't dream of striking up a conversation with a stranger or walking alone into an exercise class for the first time.

In the role of mum or professional, I can do these things and more no problem, but when I'm just being me, with no ds and no job to do then the "me" part of me is terrified!

XBenedict Thu 03-Jan-13 20:03:01

I'd like to join! I desperately need to take some care of myself, feeling increasingly frumpy and have done for a couple of years now. The children are getting older and so I have a little more time to myself - I can have a bath in peace now!

BUT I need a check list a bit like fly lady for grooming. Which products, what to do, what make up to buy/wear......

What's your lifestyle like, XB? Do you need work clothes? Just casual? Both? Do you go out a lot so need more 'dress up' clothes?

What make up do you want?

I'd start with a foundation, blusher and mascara.

XBenedict Thu 03-Jan-13 20:48:24

I have 3 children (2 at school one pre schooler). I am 42 (almost 43). I have just finished a course and am hoping to get a job/looking for a job once my PIN number is active in Feb and will probably be wearing a uniform (I am a nurse).

Karbea Thu 03-Jan-13 21:04:35

xbenedict tomorrow empty your lingerie drawer on your bed. Wash out the drawer and spray in a squirt of your favourite perfume.

Go through all all your bras and throw away any that don't fit. Do up all the remaining ones at the back and either lay them in the drawer one by one (slightly over lapping) or fold them in so you have one cup showing and put them altogether in the drawer.

Now look at your knickers, throw away the ones you wouldn't wear on a first night of lust with a gorgeous man (think back to the first night with your DH smile ), keep five pairs of black ones (or not so nice ones) for "that" week once a month. Now fold them up and put the in piles of knickers, throngs etc, I also order mine by colour, so it's easier when I get dressed to grab the right ones.

That's your "clean your sink"! smile

I'll do the EuromillionsAuntPittypat and if I win I'll share the cash with group grin.

I think I'm going to have a bath in a moment,my first in 15 months! I have housework to be doing but feeling good in myself is taking the front seat tonight. I just want to relax.

Hope everyone who is feeling unwell feels better soon.

Stickem I understand that! When I worked I was very confident, I was superwoman, yet outside of work, I was the one to shy away from everything and everyone, I tried to blend into the background.

Can I join please, I am currently sat watching celeb bb feeling crap so I am taking inspiration from you lovely ladies and going to give myself a huge kick up the butt. Going to shower shortly will apply a body oil then will sort nails snd straighten hair ready for tomorrow.
I'm at work tomorrow but when I finish I will go to boots and invest in this bb cream of which you all speak of.

Loving the underwear advice. smile

XB - I am exactly the same age as you (43 in Feb).

This is what I currently mostly use for casual wear (but I work full time, so need less than you probably would want) -

3 pairs skinnies - one indigo, one black, one khaki (have grey too but they are not perfect, so don't get worn much)
one pair black ankle boots, low heeled
one pair tan ankle boots, higher heeled
one biker jacket
one grey jumper
one black jumper
one red jumper
two jersey dresses - one black and khaki / one grey
various tops for layering under the jumpers
one black column maxi skirt
grey peacoat
parka
lots of scarves

I could do with some more t-shirts and at least one more jumper to make it all work better.

whiteandyelloworchid Thu 03-Jan-13 22:48:19

karbea, excellent advice, not sure why but i normally wear white pants when i'm on my period, which is v daft really
but ive never ever thought about that before, i shall get some cheap cotton black ones pronto

ive started tonight,cleared out my hall way and ended up trying on about 5 coats, one is massive and messes my haor up so thats going ot the chairty shop asap

where else shall i satrt next

After I've been through my underwear drawer I'm going to go through my bathroom cabinet.

It's full of crap and testers I've forgotton about, free things I've never used and it's a mess.

I'm sure if I could find my tinted moisuriser, lipstick & mascara on a shelf every morning I'd use them more than scrabbling around in the detritus for them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now