My new years resolution this year is to make more effort with my appearance. Who wants to join me?

(906 Posts)
TrampyPants Sun 30-Dec-12 12:30:00

I've never really worn make up, styled my hair or bothered with how I look. That was fine when I was young and fresh. Now I'm 34 (nearly 35) and I want to look good. I have just tried to curl my hair (and failed) and sorted out my make up, throwing out stuff that doesn't suit me.

TrampyPants Wed 02-Jan-13 19:50:13
feekerry Wed 02-Jan-13 19:51:37

Right. First day back at work following year mat leave is complete. I think i did okay appearance wise tho by 3pm i was flagging and looked it tbh.
Think i made mistake of going for full on made up face which looked great at first but difficult to maintain all day.
Also, had a typical scruffy me moment when put white trainer socks on with pump shoes. Total fail as looked like an idiot all day.
Off tomorrow so time to recharge battery.

How often do you change your nail colour or style?? I was thinking new colour every 2/3 days?? What do u think.

Also happy to report made it out door with me and dd all dressed by 7.50am.

TrampyPants Wed 02-Jan-13 19:52:13

Always, welcome! We will help you shift your rut. grin

TrampyPants Wed 02-Jan-13 19:54:59

Fee, well done. You must be shattered. Next time try a bit simpler, use cheek and lip tint too, the Site is just linked to has some for 50p, holds up better than blusher and just looks a big fresher. When are you back?

Thanks Jammy will have a look, but seems too scary for me grin

Yay Fee well done! Id just go for a basic primer/concealer/blush or tint/lips/mascara, it should last well throughout the day.

AuntPittypat Wed 02-Jan-13 20:29:52

You lot all seem to be doing really well! I.... well, I managed to put on some mascara today.... Oh, and I put on some body lotion after my shower (winter always makes my skin so dry). And that was about it. Still, that's two things more than I usually do on my non-work days so it's a start! And I'm going to check out some BB cream next time I'm in Boots.

Love that jacket Trampy. If I see anyone wearing it now I'll assume they're a MN'er who's followed your link on this thread!

Ooh can I join please? Im 31 this year and dont think I take as much care over my appearance as I really could. Just a short message from me as my laptop battery is about to go blush so I'll see you all in the morning! grin

AuntPittypat Wed 02-Jan-13 20:35:01

I always feel that, if nobody important is going to see me, there is no point. Somehow, I forget that the most important people in my life, (ds and dp) ARE the most precious things in my life

shaky, I could have written these exact words. I feel terrible that I don't think it's worth making any effort for DP most days. I don't think DD cares yet - she's only 15 months! - but I hate the thought of being an embarrassment 'frump' of a mum when she's older.

TrampyPants Wed 02-Jan-13 20:39:33

Aunt, little steps. It's fab that you put on mascara and lotion,it would've been easy to just skip it. And thanks grin I bought it from dh as my Xmas pressie. It's surprisingly warm

Guy, and anyone else I forgot, welcome to our little group. I was thinking of names, is "Grungey to Gorgeous - The New Year Cheerleaders" cheesy?

AlwaysReadyForABlether Wed 02-Jan-13 21:19:21

Back to work tomorrow after New Year break so I have properly cleansed and put on night cream, eye cream and lash serum. Have brushed teeth and flossed and put on foot cream, cuticle oil and hand cream. Not sure I'll manage all that every night!
Planning to get up a bit early tomorrow and do Shred for first time - eek!
Clothes overhaul will have to wait a couple of months so will focus on beauty routine just now. Hopefully I will have lost a bot of weight by then too.

TrampyPants Wed 02-Jan-13 21:30:38

I'm impressed! And that sounds like a really good plan. What type of look are you aiming for? I have realised that skater style skirts don't suit me, nor do bootcut jeans, so pencil skirts and skinnier for me.

MrsPennyapple Wed 02-Jan-13 22:35:53

Thanks for the recommendations, Trampy. I did feel better being out and knowling I looked ok, if not brilliant. Normally if I go into town I'd do my best to avoid bumping into anyone from my former workplace, as I feel like they'd be thinking "wow, she looks a state." It's a small town, you can't go anywhere without seeing someone you know, so it's quite nice to be able to hold my head up.

So then, body lotion. Do you guys use it? I never, ever do. It always comes in gift sets and gets shoved in a drawer. It just seems like a lot of work. A body is a lot of area to cover, and I'm not sure what it's supposed to do. My skin seems ok without it, so I'm not sure whether I need it or not.

What do you guys use to get the hard skin off your feet? I use a teracotta pumice thing form the body shop when I have a shower, which helps a bit, but I'm wondering if there's any magic cream that just dissolves it away?

Flexitol foot cream is excellent (as, indeed, is their hand cream).

Body lotion - I don't get on terribly well with it and the ones that come in gift sets are usually too highly scented for me and make my skin sting (I'm talking to YOU Clarins!). I do like the Aveeno ones in winter though, when the skin on my lower legs gets horribly dry.

Lavenderhoney Thu 03-Jan-13 04:40:32

I'm joining! I was looking for a hobby for the new year and mine is going to be me! Grooming, exercise..My body is a temple ( of doom) as my old boss used to say.
I need to have a regime of grooming, and I plan to make myself a timetable as I will forget. I need to do it to make time for Pilates as well and I didn't think of hula hooping, dd has one so I will get it out later and see. Does it work? I have never hula hoopedsmile

I have never had a routine it's always been firefighting and because I am going somewhere special. It would be nice to look nice and smell fragrantly of summer meadows- and I would like dd and ds to think about taking care of themselves so it's a normal thing for them, not be like me and have to remember!

It's all about routine and planning isn't it? We should remember as well, that it takes something like 60 days for things to become habits. I headed to bed last night, dog tired. The last thing i really wanted to do was skin routine and clothes for work but I did both because I thought that if I don't do it once then it becomes easier not to do it again.

I hit the snooze button three times this morning blush but because I'd prepared the night before, I was still out of the house on time and looking fairly pulled together. I hadn't done my make up but when I embarked on this a the beginning of the week, I sorted through my makeup and made up a bag to keep in my desk drawer. So I'm not at work, make-up is on. In the past, I would have dragged myself out of bed, thrown on whatever was nearest to hand and pulled a hairbrush through my hair.

I'll never be a high maintenance glamour puss but there's a fine line between low maintenance and no maintenance.

trampy pants Jeggings are my new wardrobe discovery. I admit to being jegginist in the past and swearing I would never wear them but I bought a pair before Christmas, teamed with a fab jumper dress. Loved it so much just been out and bought a brown pair - need to find a slouchy jumper or dress to go with though.....

Morning all and thanks for the welcome smile Im enjoying reading this thread and picking up some ideas, its really helping.

Well Im one who washes their hair in the evening, I then find it more managable in the morning even if Im only going to pull it back into a ponytail! I try and moisturise my body after a bath/shower in the evening but I dont do it all the time.... Brrr I really dont want to be slathering on cold cream but once its sank in you do feel nice. I also only do this in the evening so I dont have to worry about sticky clothes etc

I may actually write a bit of a list for bits to do in the evenings - nails, eyebrows, the odd facemask, otherwise Id forget some things blush

Today Im in my straight leg levis (though I roll the bottoms up a bit), long black vest, thin stripey loose jumper, and currently with a bigger cardy over the top! Doesnt sound great but my house is cold! My hair is in a ponytail, and I have makeup on. My eyebrows are tidy. Will go and brush and floss after posting this.

Couple of things I need help with - footwear - I walk everywhere and so in the warmer weather I wear flats and Im happy with this. Its this time of year that gets me - when the weather is really crappy I wear rocket dog 'nokout' leather boots over skinnies, or the ones that are more like ugg stylee. I have a pair of french connection 'paddy' boots and Id like to wear them more but because the top of the boot is quite wide Im not sure if I look stupid blush Dh says I dont but what does he know grin Also I wont wear leggings with them because I dont think they work. So I really need a good pair of flat ankle boots...

Also - when I dont roll up my jeans an wear over boots, what would go with them?

Lastly (sorry!) - I have various items of clothing, but they dont get worn because I dont think I have the items I need to pull them together. Could anyone help with suggesting a few basic items needed? If we get a list going then I can take some notes and plan some shopping around it. Im really fed up having a drawer full of coloured skinny jeans but not wearing them because I really dont know what to put over the top!

Sorry for epic post, any ideas much appreciated smile

Well I've made an effort suitable for a playbarn (have scrapped the moors today). Have put on moisturiser, blow dried my hair nice (still happy with it from yesterday's cut) and am off to find a bit of foundation and mascara. Might leave it there though, I think I'm possibly a lipstick for work and parties only kind of girl, at least for now. Got a nice jumper out of the wardrobe though!

putyourhatonsweetie Thu 03-Jan-13 09:31:00

wow, fantastic everyone. Am so motivated by this thread. Re: Dry skin on feet I think the flexitol is good, but also so is rubbing lemon juice on your feet before pumicing. (Is pumicing a word?!), somebody told me that wearing vaseline + bed socks all nmight is a good softener, but presumably not if you are planning on having sex.

Yet again felt better today....water + vitamin pills helped as well as just feeling more put together. All the hairdressers I rang seemed to still be on holiday ... sigh (first world problems !) but I will book an appointment asap.

Like others I think trying to build a routine will help so Inspired to lift out tomorrow's dress, bright yellow and short sixties cut with a big grey flower print. Going with neutral shoes but think I should try and pick up some grey heels next time I visit the smoke. DH and I are off for a city break at the end of the month so hopfully will be able to squeeze in a couple of hours shopping then.

I know its probably a different thread entirely, but any perfume advice? I am currently using Liz Earle no15 which I LOVE but I picked it up last time I was in the UK so was wondering if anyone had any tips for something that is more widely available. but has that same sort of earthiness

time for the shred....

and thanks again all

Good morning everyone! Well today is going to be one for going to the park next to the beach as it's supposed to be dry- I am wearing a Joules navy and cream wrap dress and I've probably done a wrong 'un with it but hey ho.

I'm teaming it with black cable knit tights and my only pair of boots blush I need at least one other pair I think, so any recommendations welcome!

NoThankYouToSideSalad Thu 03-Jan-13 09:51:16

Wow! Everyone is doing really well!! smile I'm going to try and make more of an effort to wear dresses this year so I have ordered a selection of slim fitting tunic dresses from Hobbs and one from Karen Millen. I'm short (5 foot) and slim, but "well-endowed" (32E), so it's tricky to find dresses that fit and/or don't make me look pregnant or dowdy. I bought a pair of pied-à-terre shoe-boots in the JL sale to go with the dresses, but the heel is much higher than I am used to. I'm thinking of returning them, but wondering whether I am just playing it safe. Hmmm, maybe it's time to channel my inner Kat Slater....grin

CarpeJugulum Thu 03-Jan-13 10:13:44

Well, I've done my WAH job in my PJ's so that I don't have to rush anything, DH has taken DS out, and I'm planning a loooooong shower with a razor and hairy legs blush

I'm about to sort the washing, stick a load in and feel good in luxury; I'm almost at the end of using up all my old crap (the stuff that you buy on a BOGOF and then grow to hate!), but I'm going to dig out a nice shower gel (and then stick it away so DH doesn't use it accidentally!) to pamper myself.

So, washing, facepack and chill with a book, then shower, then relax some more. It's a hard life! wink

Mockingcurl Thu 03-Jan-13 11:37:38

Mrs Penny, the only body lotion that is worth bothering with,IMHO, is Palmers cocoa butter. Cheap as chips and is fantastic even on my Sahara like skin.

minimumthebare Thu 03-Jan-13 12:04:51

Thanks PeppaPrig (great name!) For anyone looking for a tip to keep on top of haircuts this year, I've just blogged about my genius idea here

Today I'm wearing a silk top from Pepperberry, fitted black cardi, black trousers and a pair of patent Fitflop ballet shoe wedges. I feel smart, but a bit boring-I'd like to start adding a bit more colour into my clothes, but have no idea where to start!

minimumthebare Thu 03-Jan-13 12:08:53

I'm also going to throw away all my old canvas shoes with holes in the bottom-if they're in the bin, I can't be tempted to wear them even just to nip to the shops blush

Alaska77 Thu 03-Jan-13 12:49:13

Hi Everyone, please can I join? I've read all the previous posts with interest and can identify with all of you! I'm soon-to-be 36 and I have a wardrobe full of lovely clothes but always reach for the leggings. Not that there's anything wrong with leggings, of course, but when they're covered in cat hair and going baggy they leave a lot to be desired! DS is 3 now so no excuses for not having time to pull myself together. I start a new job in a month so it's a good time to start focusing on me a bit more.

Current outfit consists of black leggings (of course), black polo neck, grey batwing jumper and biker boots. Not bad but I can do better. Hair is brushed but not styled. BB cream and mascara on.

I'm going to start with daily body moisturising, looking after my nails and drinking lots of water!

Oh, and when the Hush sales starts online I'm going to buy some fabulous loungewear so that even when I'm doing the housework or being climbed on by DS or sprawled out on the floor playing trains I still look lovely grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now