Leather Satchel Co vs Cambridge Satchel Co

(29 Posts)
fridgepants Thu 27-Dec-12 21:21:12

Anyone have experience of either? Both sell on Asos, was wondering if anyone had any experiences...does the leather 'bleed'? what's the quality like?

Glossynotflossy Thu 27-Dec-12 21:32:57

I don't know about both but there were some Zatchels on sale at house of Fraser today if that helps (leather satchels) they were the decorated ones

There is a Liberty/Dr Martins satchel on sale on the Libery website too OP

Loftyjen Thu 27-Dec-12 23:11:53

I've got a Cambridge Satchel Co satchel in a gorgeous green colour (bright pea green prob describes it best!) and I love it.

It's 100% leather and the stitching is v high quality and there's been no issue with colour run or even contents of the bag getting wet in the rain. I'm so glad I bought it (was a treat encouraged by DH) and have had nothing but compliments from total strangers :-)

BikeRunSki Thu 27-Dec-12 23:13:57

Weren't Cambridge having trouble filling orders?

AloeSailor Fri 28-Dec-12 00:35:41

Watching, I've wanted one of these satchels for ages

3mily Fri 28-Dec-12 04:26:45

I have a red Cambridge satchel and I love it!!

It did take 5 weeks and the wait killed me but it was worth it. Colours haven't run, stitching is great, it is fine in the rain and the leather has softened up really nicely (without losing shape.) I want another one smile

I didn't use Zatchels as they had a similar wait time and they have the fabric Zatchel label at the front.

3mily Fri 28-Dec-12 04:30:13

Just noticed you said ASOS. No wait time then smile That was my only problem.

Ilovecrossfit Fri 28-Dec-12 10:45:06

My son (6 yrs old) has the Cambridge satchel as a part of school uniform, of course he doesnt carry much in it but he does throw it around the house ( I mean not to play football with it ) but as soon as he gets home he leaves it on the floor together with hsi shoes...no scratches as yet, and it's the second year he's been doing it. I think the bag is excellent quality but Id say bit heavy ( even for me!)

Dawndonna Fri 28-Dec-12 12:42:23

I got this for Christmas. It's beautiful. Very soft leather and beautifully made. Dh says delivery was pretty fast, too.

Dawndonna Fri 28-Dec-12 12:42:57

ps. They do other colours.

scripsi Fri 28-Dec-12 13:38:26

DH would love a satchel and I would love to monogram it for him - if I didn't go the Cambridge Satchel route, would I be able to get a leather satchel monogrammed somewhere?

WinklyVersusTheZombies Fri 28-Dec-12 13:47:00

I have the Cambridge satchel in duck egg blue. Beautiful quality, no issue with bleeding, didn't stain when.I spilled hot chocolate on it!

JamesJoyce11 Fri 28-Dec-12 13:47:39

Not an S and B regular, but I love The Leather Satchel co. I have one, ordered from their website and it is beautiful. I am currently saving up for another. They will customize the satchels for not too much extra. Delivery was good too. Can you tell I'm a fan?

TinyDiamond Fri 28-Dec-12 19:48:35

got a lovely black Cambridge and would def recommend!

JessBrodysTits Sat 29-Dec-12 21:11:02

WANT.

tigerdriverII Sat 29-Dec-12 21:13:32

Just got a bright green Cambridge satchel. Ordered it about 10 days before Xmas and it came a week later. A pal of mine has one and has used it every day for a year and it looks as good as new so hoping mine will stay the same. I even wrapped it up and opened it on Xmas day from me to me!

monkeysmama Sat 29-Dec-12 22:21:37

I bought my sister a Cambridge Satchel Co one 3 years ago (maybe 4?!) when they first became fashionable again. The Customer Service was fabulous.

Kayjo Tue 01-Jan-13 19:19:34

Have you looked at be-loved bags? They are absolutely amazing! www.be-loved.me to have a look and also a Facebook page. I was lucky to have an urbane satchel for Christmas and although there was a wait for delivery as they a small company, the bags are made to order in a wonderful spectrum of splendid colours by localcraftsmen and are more than worth the wait! No query or question is too much, fantastic customer service and a lifetime of advice available to lucky owner! Message the company about any questions regarding care of satchel or other sized bag.....I became a fan overnight and take my satchel out just to show it off!

SianMumford Mon 22-Apr-13 16:09:30

I got a satchel from the leather satchel company recently. They appear to be the original maker of this type of bag as they have been making satchels since the 1960s.

I had a cambridge one from a few years ago but the stitching came apart in just a few months, and after contacting customer service, who where quite rude to me when I asked why they don't offer to repair them, I then started looking elsewhere and found this family run company. They not only offer a full repair service but also have a craftsmanship guarantee that lasts 5-years!

The also have a full customisation service too, not just initials, everything. You can choose any colour combination and even change the dimensions to suit you needs, but what made my mind up was the ability to have magnetic fasteners that are hidden underneath the buckles for quick access in my bag - you know you need to grab those baby wipes quick sometimes and buckles are a real PITA if you need to get something from you bag in a snap!

I can't put my finger on it, but the overall quality feels a lot better than my old cambridge one too!

I highly recommend them! There website is unusually exactly the same as the company name the.leathersatchel.co

dexter73 Mon 22-Apr-13 16:19:03

I think you are a bit late with your recommendation as everyone on S&B has now got a Zatchel bag!

Puddlelane Mon 22-Apr-13 18:31:34

What size is best? I worry a 13" would swamp me but then small children seem to model the 11".
I'm about 5:5 and large of nork but with twig like arms and legs.

Thoughts?

ZaraW Tue 23-Apr-13 09:11:07

Puddlelane I have the 12.5" from the Leather Satchell Company, it's a good size I can fit all my essentials in without a problem and it's certainly not huge. ASOS have a sale on at the moment. I just got the coral and gold verison and love it. It also has models wearing them so you get a good idea of the size.

Puddlelane Tue 23-Apr-13 14:43:43

Thanks Zara that's good to know. Online bag shopping, I just can't gauge size!

Plathism Tue 23-Apr-13 15:14:32

I've seen and closely inspected the Cambridge Satchels in Harvey Nics (they're so pretty...but so overpriced) and I can confirm they are gorgeous smile Don't know about the leather satchel co. though. Am not such a fan of Zatchels because they don't have such pretty colours and they have a huge fugly Zatchels label on the front.

Plathism Tue 23-Apr-13 15:17:04

Puddlelane I'm your height and I've tried the 13" ones in Harvey Nics and I wouldn't go any bigger than that, unless you like or need a huge bag. The 11" is the most aesthetically pleasing IMO but won't fit a lot in beyond absolute basics - eg phone, wallet, make up, little notebook, ipod.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now