anyone fancy going grey next year?

(431 Posts)

so, i've been toying with this idea for ages (am nearly forty) but always end up dying it. i thnk i'm going to go for it - anyone want a support thread for intermittent updates?

TheFarSide Sat 26-Jan-13 19:44:08

I will never abandon you.

PessimisticMissPiggy Sat 26-Jan-13 19:59:39

Keep strong!

Phew. I am quite liking my grey - if I have a ponytail I look like someone really clever. [Grin]

Someone on another thread is about to start dying their grey for the first time.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/style_and_beauty/1670055-Best-grey-covering-brown-hair-dye-the-time-has-come?msgid=36884119#36884119

Anyone want to join me in suggesting it would be better to just leave it to grow gracefully?

Direct them over here! I really wish I'd never dyed my hair!!!!

catnipkitty Sat 02-Feb-13 11:42:38

Hooray for finding this thread! I stopped dying my hair 1 and half years ago at the age of 41. I just got totally fed up of the time it took, the money, the testing on animals and felt awful about washig all those chemicals into the environment.

Sooo...I have very short hair and brown flecked with silver now - about 60% brown, 40% grey. I do look in the mirror sometimes and feel old and I hate that, but I just give myself a good talking to! Hardly anyone else I know in RL of my age has let themselves go grey and i do sometimes feel like I stick out like a sore thumb.

But it's SO UNFAIR that it's ok in our culture for men to go grey but wierd for women to not mind looking their age.

Good luck to all and stay strong!!

PessimisticMissPiggy Sat 02-Feb-13 16:22:20

Found some amazing and cheap Greg products this week. Bristles shampoo, conditioner and styling product for grey hair - 99p each!

PessimisticMissPiggy Sat 02-Feb-13 16:24:59

Greg? I mean grey. Also Bristows Silver is the brand!

Haha. Thought you were drowning your sorrows in sausage rolls! How short is short catnip

LazyMachine Sun 03-Feb-13 08:56:44

Hello again - glad to see everyone holding out and staying strong! I've ha a few wobbles this week. As a reminder, I'm late 30's, grew out grey for a few months and then did the pixie chop, which was quite flattering. But now it's in a still-short but growing out akward phase ghat happens to coincide with a birthday AND the final weeks of pregnancy - not the time you want to be feeling rotten about your hair!

The thing that saved me from pulling out the dye was a loooooooong conversation with my wonderful DP. Seriously! We talked out all the pros and cons (including potential PND) and I'm feeling confident again. He did suggest that maybe I should get the cut reshaped, so that it felt 'fresh' again. Did it yesterday (without losing the long fringe I've been growing out for what feels like ages) and it looks a lot better. (Actually, I don't know that it looks that much different, but I feel better, which is really all that counts!)

The thing I find most interesting, which I've already mentioned up-thread, is that wearing my hair it's natural colour (60% grey/40% brown) makes my skin glow - I'm no longer washed out by the tone of the dye. If that's not an incentive, then I don't know what is. Please don't burst my bubble and tell me it's the pregnancy hormones!

LazyMachine Sun 03-Feb-13 08:59:26

Sorry for all the typos - I've got swollen fingers!

Definitely not the hormones! I think the grey. Definitely the paler colours will look better with your skin!

TheFarSide Sun 03-Feb-13 17:25:37

Survived my week abroad with ever expanding grey roots - nobody was pointing and laughing at me.

I do agree LazyM about glowing skin - my growing out grey definitely makes my skin look better. As you say, not so washed out.

Glad you're all still here, plus some newbies too.

catnipkitty Mon 04-Feb-13 21:13:59

Notactually my hair's very similar to Jamie Lee Curtis's short style. Takes 5 mins to wash, condition and dry and I put in some putty and go!

practicality Tue 05-Feb-13 14:29:20

I have done this by just clipping it all off. Currently wearing an array of berets. I like he colour that's coming in- just not the current buzz cut. The line between the colour and roots was making me look bald as it was growing in so I just grasped the nettle.

I was having to dye my hair every two weeks. I then had a reaction (mild) but took that as my cue to stop. Only a month to go before I will okay going out without a hat......

Practicality - wow! not sure i'm brave enough for that - currently thinking about when to go for the chop from half way down my back?

doglover Tue 05-Feb-13 16:26:01

I had a hair appointment today for the usual cut 'n' blow and mentioned to the stylist that I was going to let nature take it's course and go grey. Well , her reaction was hardly supportive! She tried to talk me out of it for ages - I've been dying my own hair so it wasn't as thought she's losing any money - leaving me feeling very disheartened shock. I'm rather liking my multi-toned locks and now feel quite upset that she was so disparaging. I will be continuing with my quest, however! smile

TheFarSide Tue 05-Feb-13 16:47:38

doglover my hairdresser has always been against the idea of me going grey even though, like you, she wouldn't be losing any money. I'm dreading my next visit but she cuts it really well so I don't want to find another hairdresser. I guess hairdressers have the same prejudices as the rest of the population - some of them are going to be anti-grey.

doglover Tue 05-Feb-13 16:59:57

Thanks for that. I'm keen to give it a go and have to realise that not everyone else has to agree with my decision! Be strong!

catnipkitty Tue 05-Feb-13 21:50:40

My hair dresser said women shouldn't let themselves go grey until they are in their sixties! She is a fab hairdresser and really lovely and has got used to the idea now, but does still mention dying my hair occaisionally! I think it's just such an ingrained thing in our cultrue that we dare not go grey until becoming an OAP that it's hard for people to understand why on earth you'd want to!

I think hairdressers are just conditioned to want to do stuff to hair! So they might not be losing your money! But buying into grey might not be the way forward for a profit making career. Plus, most hairdressers experiment with colour and cut themselves - going grey is really an alien concept.
I really like my paler hair now - I'm wearing a pony tail a lot. Its kind of like a little bereavement - accepting that I'm getting older and that's okay.

shopafrolic Tue 05-Feb-13 22:15:20

Apologies if this has been posted before as I've only had time to skim read but thought you'd like to read this
www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1021328/At-Im-glad-GREY--womans-diary-decision-to-roots.html#axzz2K46vRtfx

LubyLu2000 Tue 05-Feb-13 22:17:41

Love this thread and just wanted to add some hope to those going through the transition grin. I'm a youngish looking 40 and had been dying my hair very dark brown for over 20 years. 18 months ago got it all chopped off and bleached - admittedly hair was an odd colour & very dry for a week or 2 til I went back and got it sorted. But that phase passed within a few months & when it was all my natural colour I let it grow down to a sharp graduated bob. My hair is a very bright sparkly white & I get loads of compliments & people asking how I managed to get my hair that colour. It's possibly not to everyone's taste but I cannot even begin to explain the relief of not having to dye my hair every 3-4 weeks and seeing the badger stripe after just 2 weeks. I also look at a lot of older women with very obviously dyed hair & feel quite smug cos mine looks nice & shiny & healthy wink And I also think I won't go through some sort of ageing crisis in to do with my hair as mine was already white before I was old! I've never been tempted once to go back to the bottle. Good luck everyone!

naturelover Tue 05-Feb-13 22:39:53

Thanks for the link shopafrolic! Very inspiring.

I'm definitely finding it hard not dying my hair. I only have about 10% grey and it could take 10-15 years before I'm completely grey. I suppose my worry is that people think I have let myself go. Right now my hair looks terrible - grey streaks in the roots but meanwhile the bulk of my hair is a nasty brassy dyed colour (nothing like my natural colour thanks to two years of semi-perm colour).

Like Anne Kreamer in that article, I need to get in shape, wear more colour and rethink my make-up.

Most of my friends seemed puzzled by my decision. One friend was shocked and has been trying to talk me out of it...

TheFarSide Tue 05-Feb-13 22:40:24

I've added a new photo on my profile showing progress so far ... just so you all know you're not suffering alone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now