anyone fancy going grey next year?

(431 Posts)

so, i've been toying with this idea for ages (am nearly forty) but always end up dying it. i thnk i'm going to go for it - anyone want a support thread for intermittent updates?

Thanks ruby! Will have a peek later!
farside mine is bald! So has no say in the matter.

rubyrubyruby Wed 27-Mar-13 08:53:21

Don't get me wrong - he's very supportive in every way it was just the vibes as you say, but maybe I was projecting my thoughts?

I will add you too TFS and anyone else that asks.

TheFarSide Wed 27-Mar-13 20:12:02

Thanks Ruby - looking forward to checking out your hair. I think my photos are open to all and sundry.

I've had FIVE INCHES lobbed off today and am feeling a bit breezy around the neck. Lots of the dark hair with all the build up of dye has gone, but there's still around three haircuts' worth of colour left according to my hairdresser (unless I go for layers, which I'm not going to).

Good news is that my hairdresser is now onside and thinks the lighter colour suits me. Happy days.

CeeceeBloomingdale Wed 27-Mar-13 21:24:02

My DH didn't bother with vibes and went straight for the jugular with an "I'm not shagging a granny" gag. He's nearly bald which is apparently less of an issue wink. I don't think I know one person IRL who thinks this is a good idea

Ruby, that works really well!
Cece - yeah, real life people are not so hot on it! However, now that I am committed and really grey, I am getting positive comments. Wonder if its the idea rather than the reality?
It is sooo entrenched in us to dye our hair.

TheFarSide Thu 28-Mar-13 23:41:12

Hair looks great, Ruby!

Downfall Mon 01-Apr-13 15:03:31

This is such an interesting thread. I'd seen the title but not read it a while back. But have seen two women my age (40's) with striking grey hair recently, which made me come and seek you out.

One had the pixie crop, saw her on a train, she looked effortless. The other is someone I see in passing at work. For months her long brownish curls have been left to show her dark grey and white roots. Looked dreadful in transition tbh. But last week I was chatting with her, and noticed how much better her skin looked, and afterwards realised she had her long hair tied back so only her natural undyed hair was framing her face. I think she has passed through the pain barrier now and won't look back.

Perhaps I will do the same...?

naturelover Mon 01-Apr-13 16:36:51

"passed through the pain barrier" Ha ha, that's how it feels!

I only stopped dying my hair about 4 months ago, and I have shortish hair, but the growth feels so slow and the transition phase is so ugly. It really looks like I've given up looking after myself (that's how I imagine it seems to others). As a result I've been making extra effort with make-up, clothes, skin etc.

Part of me wonders if I should just go for a pixie crop and get rid of the (horrible, brassy, unflattering) ends. But a very short haircut might look worse... the dilemma!

doglover Mon 01-Apr-13 17:58:10

I'm still persevering - having a few doubts every few days - but really want to do this. I'm definitely still passing through the pain barrier (what a great phrase!) and hope the warmer weather (???) will boost the process.

Downfall Mon 01-Apr-13 18:09:04

I really like the short crop but I totally have the wrong face shape - way too much cheek chin and nose to my small little eyes.

What do you think would be worse/take longest nature - growing out the old dye, or growing the length back how you like it?

I am mousey dark blonde originally, over home dyed to an insipid sludgey brassy medium blonde. Last coloured 6 weeks ago. Suspect I am 'salt and pepper' underneath, which doesn't inspire me, but the alternative is home dyed matt sludge or expensive 6 weekly salons for ever.

naturelover Mon 01-Apr-13 18:32:15

Downfall I think it would take as long to regain length as it would to endure the brassy colour.

Part of me thinks if I'm being bold enough to let my grey come through (it is bold and takes a certain confidence doesn't it?) then maybe I should be bold enough to try a short new haircut. I have had the same hairstyle for about 8 years.

On the other hand, I also have quite strong features. Then again, look at Jamie Lee Curtis, she carries it off!

Can we do a quick poll of everyone's ages? I'm 38.

Downfall Mon 01-Apr-13 18:51:22

I've just realised this thread started before Christmas...so impressed you've stuck it out!

I'm considering it... I guess if it's been 6 weeks since my last colour I can claim to be a month and a half in? <hopeful>

I'm 41 btw.

Downfall Mon 01-Apr-13 18:57:31

Btw nature if you think you can carry off the short style then maybe you should chop it, as you say it would be a clearer style statement.

But maybe take the advice of the more experienced silverettes on here...I'm only one day in!!

39. I tried to grow it out and keep the length but just couldn't bear it. So have gone Frankie from the Saturdays, and love it. Much easier to see where I'm going with it. However, I would have stayed at long hair tied back. My mistake was having it bobbed in the meantime.

Nerfmother Fri 05-Apr-13 19:54:01

It's me (notactuallyme) I've name changed to more accurately reflect life as the mother of three boys....(and onle girl, but no Nerf interest there).
So. I've realised that I need to straighten my hair in order to feel okay with it. And i am desperate to lose all of the red ends, but can't without getting a frumpy cut. So, stuck.
But - the relief of not having the tiny grey edges at my scalp, is immense.

TheFarSide Fri 05-Apr-13 23:20:46

Maybe we need to have an anti-straightening sub-thread going. We can't replace one tyranny with another.

Nerfmother Fri 05-Apr-13 23:42:29

i don't know if i could cope with that just yet - can we hold that thought til i'm less stripey? grin
soon, we'll be ditching make up and Grazia....

TheFarSide Sat 06-Apr-13 18:25:32

Fine with me. After all, I'm still dyeing my eyelashes.

Nerfmother Sat 06-Apr-13 21:20:49

I'm saving up 300 quid for permanent eyebrows.... Shh!

TheFarSide Mon 08-Apr-13 17:56:35

I think that counts as a tattoo and is therefore fine.

Nerfmother Mon 08-Apr-13 23:56:28

Brilliant! So we will have unstraightened grey hair atop a face full of make up, tattooed eyebrows, lashes etc. Hmmm......

Nerfmother Thu 11-Apr-13 13:35:53

Update. This is the best decision ever! Haven't dyed it for about six months now, and its quite clearly a choice. Seen a photo from yesterday and it looks good! Will try to upload it later. Was really hard when I had the growing out roots thing, now I can't wait for all the red to go. Helps that's its more silver white than steel grey.

Cocolily Thu 11-Apr-13 17:58:55

I think grey can look really elegant if you have a cool skin tone and suit those soft pinks, smokey lilacs and blues. Equally striking if you do the high contrast look with a shock of white hair against black & white and crisp jewel colours.

TheFarSide Sun 14-Apr-13 22:26:57

Glad you're settling into your grey, Nerf. And I must say I'm grateful to you for providing the shove I needed to do this too with your "Anyone fancy going grey ..." post.

BTW I can't see your photos when I click on your new name - you might need to update your settings.

naturelover Sun 14-Apr-13 22:31:23

I have cut off most of the dye by going for a pixie cut. It feels really liberating to be rid of the brassy ends and by the next cut I should have no dye left at all.
My temples are really grey but I think the cut is stylish and DH and some friends have given me lots of compliments.
I'm really committed now to not dyeing my hair ever again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now