anyone fancy going grey next year?

(431 Posts)

so, i've been toying with this idea for ages (am nearly forty) but always end up dying it. i thnk i'm going to go for it - anyone want a support thread for intermittent updates?

WildThong Mon 18-Mar-13 18:59:31

Is this the purple shampoo

auntpetunia Mon 18-Mar-13 19:08:39

Yep that's the one apparently it's good to take away the brassiness!

Badvoc Mon 18-Mar-13 20:20:23

I am very grey tbh.
Not sure what % but must be over 80%.
Even buying home colours are costing me a fortune as I have to do it really every 4 weeks and I could never afford salon prices that often.

TheFarSide Mon 18-Mar-13 20:24:15

Exactly, Badvoc - home dyeing is a pain and still expensive. Re the grey hair/dark eyebrows thing - I actually dye my eyelashes and eyebrows to give my ageing face some definition, and I think the contrast with my white hair looks quite funky.

Badvoc Mon 18-Mar-13 20:30:06

Ooooooooooh I really don't know what to do now....argh.
I am really bad at home dyeing too sad it never looks great tbh.
My skin is pretty good for 40 and I am naturally pale....

Hey badvoc if you do nothing, you can always do something. Once you've done it though, you have to go through the whole growing it out again, or just keep going forever.
I'm actually (now I've got loads of grey, and not so much colour) so chilled about it. Its other people who are weird _ shop assistant practically begging me not to, as it would be soooo ageing apparently. Or, maybe I'll just look my age?

PessimisticMissPiggy Sun 24-Mar-13 13:44:24

How's everyone doing on the hair front?

Fab41 Sun 24-Mar-13 13:51:38

Not sure if this counts as an epic fail, still re-assessing what to do next... My hair was shoulder length after many years of growing out a short crop. I had been home dying red/auburn onto naturally dark hair but having to redo it every 3 weeks so stopped dying it.

I decided to speed the growing out process up by going back to a crop with long fringe, and having a few highlights at the front to blend it all in. But my second lot of highlights last week changed my hair from a ginger coppery colour to a horrible blonde. I hated it, so have applied a pillarbox red temporary colour.

So now I have bright red highlights which I love, and a pinkish wash through the rest. Hmm. Not sure what to do now. I go to local hairdressing college so it is only £20 for highlights and cut, so not too upset. Ad the red is great, but not really what I wanted to do.... Help!!

CeeceeBloomingdale Sun 24-Mar-13 14:11:10

I've just touched up the roots this morning but I'm doing less every time, literally the front hairline and parting. As I'm going from (almost) black to (almost) white I have to do it gradually. I'm growing the underneath out first and soon I'm going to start lightening the top

Welovegrapes Sun 24-Mar-13 14:13:02

What a great thread - I am inspired!! Definitely going to consider this in due course.

rubyrubyruby Sun 24-Mar-13 14:26:36

I lost this thread and need your support this week!

Hairdressers appointment on Tues.

....... just going to catch up on thread smile

rubyrubyruby Sun 24-Mar-13 14:33:18

I'm definitely keeping my dark eyebrows.
All the images I have looked at I think the grey looks better with a more defined brow.

Rubyrubyruby - I have a photo on my profile now, which you can see if I add you to my mumsnet mates. Can do that tomorrow?
Fab - erm......[Grin]
Welcome grapes and hi cece.
Yes yes to defined brows.

rubyrubyruby Sun 24-Mar-13 20:04:22

Thanks notactually smile

Added you - the first photo is horrible, taken by small ds in an hotel, and was my boring toni and guy bob, to get most of the length gone. The second is really unflattering, but I love the hair - undercuts to make it lie flat and gets the grey much more of a choice iyswim.
Just couldn't stand the greying long red hair much longer!

TheFarSide Sun 24-Mar-13 23:07:49

I've booked a haircut for Wednesday when I plan to lose 3 or 4 inches off my shoulder length hair. This will get rid of the hair with the heaviest build up of dye.

At this rate, though, it's going to be a year before all the dye and highlights have gone, so I'm feeling a bit sad

Have an undercut! It'll be like a mumsnet scarf, but cooler.

ouryve Mon 25-Mar-13 12:36:13

I stayed greying for a while, as it was lovely silver glints on my dark hair and quite striking. It reached a point where it just started to look ageing without looking good, though, so I'm going through a red phase to get me through it. I keep my hair cropped very short, so once the roots look a bit more promising, I'm going to grow it out, again.

rubyrubyruby Tue 26-Mar-13 05:23:01

Thanks not actuallyme - you look great! I'm a lot older than you.

I've been getting vibes from DH that he's not ready for a grey wife yet. He hasn't actually said but is making suggestions whereas he normally leaves it up to me. I'm going to see what ideas my hairdresser comes up with today as I don't want to go back to complete cover-up so perhaps a combination of low/hi lites? I'm going for a restyle though.

rubyrubyruby Tue 26-Mar-13 05:48:22

<<hangs head in shame>>

Aw, ruby, don't feel bad! See what the hairdresser says?
I'm now immune to comments - shop assistant practically begging me to reassure her I'd dye it back, friend worried about it, etc etc - poor dh has not been canvassed for opinion!
I'm forty this year. Figure if I go grey now, with a decent haircut, it'll be easier to stay grey later. It'll be a 'look' ...

rubyrubyruby Tue 26-Mar-13 22:14:45

I have not forsaken you grin
My problem is that I'm too grey I think but only around the front.

I had hi and low lights and a good cut. The idea is to work with it.

rubyrubyruby Tue 26-Mar-13 22:33:14

notactuallyme - I have added pics and made you a mate <<eek>>

TheFarSide Tue 26-Mar-13 23:15:55

Don't know about your DH Ruby, but mine is totally grey. Nevertheless, I have also had the "I-don't-want-a-grey-wife" vibes. It's these double standards that make me even more determined to stop dyeing my hair.

rubyrubyruby Tue 26-Mar-13 23:27:48

Mine has no grey - and is quite s bit younger than me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now