anyone fancy going grey next year?

(431 Posts)

so, i've been toying with this idea for ages (am nearly forty) but always end up dying it. i thnk i'm going to go for it - anyone want a support thread for intermittent updates?

TheFarSide Sun 24-Feb-13 11:17:32

grin

I've finished with the highlights now. One way or the other, the grey regrowth cannot be avoided.

Never mind, Practicality - perhaps the time is just not right for you. You really have to want this.

auntpetunia Sun 24-Feb-13 13:00:41

OK sorry misread that! Glad to see you're setting a good example for everyone

Okay! Spent all of today hating myself for general frumpiness - I have always been quite interested <shallow> and adventurous and this chin length thing is not working for me. Looked at short grey haired ladies and its not going to look good on me just yet (not enough grey). So I've booked a six o'clock tonight - going to go for sideways sweep of grey stroke red, and an undercut. Need to look like this is intentional. Hairdresser 1 didn't seem too adventurous when I told her I couldn't stand it anymore (poPped in) so am trying elsewhere!

auntpetunia Wed 27-Feb-13 17:39:33

Oh dear, not sure this is allowed!!. Have to be honest I'm not sure where mine is going, at minute it's past shoulder length with red and caramel highlights and 2 inches of silve /grey, but not at th ehairline can get away with it pulled back into pony tail and still look OK. I'm not sure about going short taken bloody ages to get this long .

Oh well I don't have to think about it yet as not back to work for at least another 7 weeks.

I think we might have been unrealistic thinking we could just go cold Turkey on that dye.

Post a pic notactually.

Hi auntpetunia I have added you and TheFarSide to my mumsnet mates, and uploaded two photos. Let me know if you can see them? One is the frumpy halfway bob and the other is my new style - really like it at the moment. Undercuts both sides, long one side. So much better!!!!!

TheFarSide Wed 27-Feb-13 20:11:58

Strangely, I'm going through a super-confident phase at the moment, possibly because my 100% grey regrowth blends so well with my highlights - the overall "brightness" of my hair is making my skin look better than it has for years.

So, I do sympathise notactually - sounds like you feel your hair is not grey enough to make a statement, so I am hereby allowing you your grey/red sideways sweep - but, like Petunia, a pic would be useful because I don't really understand what you mean.

Auntpetunia - I fully understand your dilemma, wanting to keep the long hair but living with bits of obvious regrowth. If you give up now, though, won't you just have to face it again later on? Would more highlights help? Don't give up on me. I need you.

TheFarSide Wed 27-Feb-13 20:14:38

Oooh - cross posted notactually - would be very excited to see your new hair but nothing happens when I hover over your name.

Ok, I think I have to make my profile public, give me half an hour! How weird that we both had totally opposite experiences! However, I am 100 percent with you on the skin tone stuff. I actually love my new hair.

okay, I've made my profile public, and I've made two of you mumsnet mates so you can see the photos.

rubyrubyruby Wed 27-Feb-13 21:56:41

TFS - I'm with you too and determined.

My hair is long and I'm going to keep it that way whilst growing out so I can put it up, piled on top to help cover roots.

It's strange what you said about skin tone. I had my colours done a couple if years ago and she asked if I'd considered going grey. I was horrified!

rubyrubyruby Wed 27-Feb-13 21:58:23

My greys are all at the front and my hair is layered there so hopefully it won't take too long to grow out.

auntpetunia Wed 27-Feb-13 22:05:24

I love the short red bob! Very swish.

I'm sticking with my long pony tail as like Ruby I can pile it up to cover the grey.

TheFarSide Wed 27-Feb-13 22:31:26

WOW notactually - you could never be frumpy, not even with the 'before' haircut. I love both your hairstyles!!!

rubyrubyruby Thu 28-Feb-13 06:53:52

I'm suspicious I may look frumpy either way tbh.

Thank you - I was actually nervous checking in this am, in case you were all reaching for the clairol. Managed to get it to look good this am, and will road test at work...
Ruby, auntpetunia - part of me is sad to have lost all the long hair, and I do think ponytail is a good look. Previous hair dresser recommended the sit and wait approach, but it was bobbed by then and too hard to pin up. So this is an experiment. So far, I quite like it.

JRsandCoffee Sun 03-Mar-13 08:16:38

Hello, can I join back in? I'm 11 months past my last dye job and have gone from long chocolate brown to silver grey bob with annoying light chestnut ends remaining at the front. Many ideas why the bit that seemed to grow out first when I was dying it is the bit that is now growing out slowly?? Must go, milk monster in nappy catastrophe, again!! It is precisely this chaos and lack of time, not to mention the astonishing amount of money I seem able to spend on my beautiful baby that is keeping me from the bottle! Dye that is, wine another matter smile. Well done everyone sticking with it!

flipflopmolly Sun 03-Mar-13 14:45:36

Hi ladies, I just want to post some encouragement.

I am 36, started going grey when I was sixteen. I started dying my grey to my natural black in my early twenties. I eventually stopped dying it while I was pregnant at the age of 28 and have been grey ever since.

My hair is now probably 50%white at the front but only 20%at the back, the rest is black , it's curly and just above my shoulders.

I really like my hair, and since it has been grey I have actually had a couple of strangers tell me my hair is amazing. Now no-one ever said that when my hair was black!

I always wear make up and am careful with the colours of my clothes and I think I look pretty good if I do say so myself!

And if I could go grey in my twenties I know you can do it too, and you'll look fab!

Hi flipflop and jr - nice to see you! Well done on avoiding the dye, and thanks for the encouragement. So far, so good! We should all post a photo in 6 months time!

auntpetunia Sun 03-Mar-13 17:14:25

Wow that's good to hear flipflop. I'm 6 months no dye and apparently my streak at the front is now visible even when hair pulled up.

Have started on the vosene to strip some of the colour so it's not sooo obvious. I saw loads of ladies with lovely grey / silver hair yesterday so feeling positive again.

auntpetunia Thu 07-Mar-13 07:41:08

HELP am wavering! It all seemed such a good idea while I've been off work and not going out much so half assed pony tail was OK, but met with work colleagues and some friends in the last week who all looked horrified at my plan, and said I'd need to do something for work, not to go short as it's taken 3 years to get this long!!! …I don't know what to do now.

After eight months, my white 'highlights' are currently about four inches long. It does look a bit unusual in certain lights but I'm determined to stick it out.

I have a white streak at the front, but it's currently four inches of white then orangey-brown henna the rest of the way down, so I'm experimenting with changing my parting to make it look less silly.

TheFarSide Thu 07-Mar-13 20:21:34

auntpetunia - what do they mean, you need to do something for work? What's wrong with some kind of pony tail for work? Why can't you go a bit shorter if you want to? Sounds like you are facing the usual anti-grey prejudices and they are feeding into your insecurities. People have looked a bit shocked when they've seen me for the first time in ages, but when they've got used to me some of them have actually admitted that lighter hair suits me. You have done so well to get this far - don't let what sounds like some thoughtless comments get to you.

Aunt petunia - I'm so sorry you are wavering; I felt the same when someone said they thought I'd been ill! I think tbh, most women over 30 are hitting the hair dye, and they need to make out that its normal.how does the grey actually look against your skin? Could you do a quiff type thing at the front?
I am so pleased to have got this far - I actually binned my leftover henna today .
3beegee - well done!

WinterMymble Sat 09-Mar-13 16:11:38

Wow this thread is brilliant. I am forty, and haven't dyed my hair for ten years - before that spent years dyeing every four weeks, and unsurprisingly developed MASSIVE allergic reaction to dye, so had to stop when I hit 30.

Over the last ten years my hair (mouse) is getting increasing silver strands, but nowhere near enough of them to be gorgeously silver - just enough to look dowdy! And so I have started trying to find safer hair dyes with a view to dyeing again. Then I read this thread and now wonder if I should stick with it.... At least I don't have to grow it out ...

The clincher is I have my first baby! Beautiful six month baby girl. And as others have said I don't want people to think I am her gran!! So what I hope to get from this thread is how to avoid that dread fate.

I have long wavy hair and one thing I just won't be able to do is commit to going to a hairdresser every two weeks. I only went twice a year last year, and that was before the time pressures of being a mother! So I have to find a way of looking chic that doesn't involve a high maintenance cut - ooh any ideas very very welcome!

Hi winter, congratulations on your dd!
Stick with it - do you really want a grey halo every six weeks....
Can't help with the chic thing - I love my cut, but it is going to need maintenance. I think keeping up things like concealer and coloured lip balm are quick ways of looking groomed, get your eyebrows threaded and then just pluck stray hairs to keep the shape?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now