Ok I've fecked up- refused to be bridesmaid for sister now can't find an outfit. Any fashionistas fancy a challenge?

(58 Posts)
WineGless Tue 11-Dec-12 20:25:39

Dd is a flower girl nd DS is pageboy. For many reasons I decided not to be bridesmaid and now regretting it as can't get my head round what to wear.

I am 40, size 14, 5'11 but not much of a waist, small boobs, column shape really and have blonde hair, pale skin

Bridesmaids are wearing claret which doesn't suit me.

I have beans searching the web but would love some help if anyone is up for it.

Amblin Wed 12-Dec-12 07:27:59

Like the blue but I think on a 14 might look a bit tenty

notMarlene Wed 12-Dec-12 07:54:24

It might be tenty but then the OP is very tall - I suspect the size she is at a 14 could well be proportionally like a 10 would be on shortarsed old me.

Do theoretically prefer the dress I got all carried away about though.

CatchingMockingbirds Wed 12-Dec-12 09:46:53

Good job she's not the one getting married then...

MerryMarigold Wed 12-Dec-12 09:47:52

Love notmarlene's one with the modern accessories. Those Martin Clay shoes are gorgeous (if pricey!).

True about eating in a corset though. And you can't wear it longer than 8 hours. But it does nip the waist...pros and cons

noddyholder Wed 12-Dec-12 15:49:46
Amblin Wed 12-Dec-12 16:54:41

Love the red

noddyholder Wed 12-Dec-12 17:17:06

Me too it looks very high end for teh price.

polyhymnia Wed 12-Dec-12 17:22:20

Red good if it suits OPs colouring and shes happy to wear long. Still like the Coast dress and notmarlenes first one best. That colour is lovely and rich and easy to wear as well as being on trend.

noddyholder Wed 12-Dec-12 17:40:26

That adriana one looks like middle aged day at the races

WineGless Wed 12-Dec-12 17:52:57

Noddy love the red but it is too much like the bridesmaids dresses unfortunately. I am thinking I might get that for another wedding we have got between Xmas and new year
Which Adriana did you mean - the first or the second?
On my way to JL now so will let you know

44SoStartingOver Wed 12-Dec-12 17:54:13

Never regret refusing to be a bridesmaid when you are 40.

Sound move.
Even if you wore any old dress!

noddyholder Wed 12-Dec-12 18:50:58

That first turquoise one with all the lady gaga bits. terribly mother of the bride at the races grin

notMarlene Wed 12-Dec-12 18:56:45

Yeah, it is rather noddy. No denying it wink

But, the OP is wanting a waist and it would give her one what with the built in corseting and deceptive detailing...

notMarlene Wed 12-Dec-12 19:14:37

Still love the second one though - on a model here. Damned good dress.

noddyholder Wed 12-Dec-12 19:45:37

Yes that is lovely.

WineGless Wed 12-Dec-12 20:56:34

Ok updates:
John Lewis didn't have ANY of the dresses in stock that were linked. I tried a few on but none that inspired me although was in a rush.

Have ordered the coast dress and the nice Adriana dress so will see what they are like when I try them on.

Off to peruse French connection and Mango sites now

notMarlene Thu 13-Dec-12 08:12:57

Urhg, that must have been annoying! Will you keep up posted?

WineGless Thu 13-Dec-12 14:48:33
WineGless Thu 13-Dec-12 21:25:19

Bump for evening crowd to slag off comment on new dresses

MerryMarigold Thu 13-Dec-12 21:33:59

Like the sleeves on no.3 - why annoying?

Don't like K Millen ones - a bit too 'look at me', but that is my personal taste...maybe you like people looking at you wink.

BIWIshYouAMerryChristmas Thu 13-Dec-12 21:38:37

Those are lovely, Wine, but if it's a January wedding, what will you wear over the top of it? Bearing in mind that churches can often be cold, and there's usually a bit of hanging around outside while photos are taken.

notMarlene Thu 13-Dec-12 21:45:31

Well, apart from anything else they all look like a nightmare to accessorize. The only one of hers I like on the HoF site is this but you'd really have to embrace the pear. Actually, [[ this is great]] but cream so no good.

notMarlene Thu 13-Dec-12 21:50:44

Rather like this, the vintage feel appeals. Red shoes, silver bag.

this?

BIWIshYouAMerryChristmas Thu 13-Dec-12 22:04:13
WineGless Thu 13-Dec-12 22:24:03

Good point about what to wear over the top and the accessorising.
BIWI I quite like it but not sure bout the suggested accessories. Black seems. Bit harsh with it.

Notmarlene- not sure about the Eliza. Bit too Kirstie Allsopp for me
Like the pied a terre.

Going to a posh boutique type department store in the morning

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now