If you have long hair, how do you wear it?

(40 Posts)

My hair is quite thick, past my shoulders with long layers. I like it and when I can be bothered have time, I straighten it and it looks nice and neat. However, a lot of the time, I just put it half-up-half-down in a clip or bobble and it probably looks a bit messy and perhaps too young for me.

How can I look groomed and do more 'stuff' with my hair that isn't going to take ages?

What do you do with yours?

I go through phases, some weeks it's the same 'undone' low knot at the nape of my neck nearly every day and sometimes I change my hair every day to a side plait, a top knot, half up and half down...... I only wear my hair completely down when I have time to blow-dry properly and...err....if it isn't windy, which in the UK is rare.

NeedlesCuties Tue 11-Dec-12 14:11:28

What on God's green earth is a 'sock bun'? confused

I don't know what a sock bun is either. I have an image in my head of a sock puppet, which isn't helping.

Zoonose Tue 11-Dec-12 14:18:11

Also quietly wondering about the sock bun ...

Ooh here's the sock bun

She does hers a lot more easily than I do mine!

auldspinster Tue 11-Dec-12 14:57:15

Mine is thick and wavy - I wear it either twisted up and clipped in a chignon, in a high ponytail or if it's really messy I wear it in a bun. I've got a blunt fringe and just wash and straighten it if I'm pushed for time.

Thistledew Tue 11-Dec-12 20:53:51

Does anyone have any tips for long, straight hair without much body? Mine is now about as long as it goes (roughly nipple length) and I almost always wear it down because that is the easiest thing to do. I wash it twice a week and blow dry it with a round brush so it has a little more movement than if I use straighteners, but I would really like to know how to put it in a quick 'up do' such as a bun.

Because it is so straight it doesn't really do artfully messy like thick hair does. It just looks bobbly and wrong. It also has a tendency to slide out of any clips or grips.

I envy my friend with thick, wavy hair, who can go from tousled flowing locks to a neat, work-smart bun in just a couple of twists and a few pins.

Spookey80 Tue 11-Dec-12 21:05:32

Bump

SparkyTGD Wed 12-Dec-12 08:24:02

Thistle, mine is long and straight but has layers which does give a bit more movement.

For me, the benefit of having a 'style' cut (with layers etc) is I can blow or even blast dry it, or leave it to dry (if weather warm enough) and its fine.

greenandcabbagelooking Wed 12-Dec-12 09:35:05

I wear my thick, bra strap length hair in waves, straightened, French plaited, bun, plaited bun, curly ponytail, straight ponytail. Waves are achieved by plaiting it wet and leaving it in overnight.

noddyholder Wed 12-Dec-12 09:38:54

I have long hair thick and a slight wave, I wear it loose or in a low chignon type bun every day. Sometimes I plait the front. I am 47 so no straightening think it is ageing on me at least. If its not newly washed I sometimes wear a thick plain black jersey headband.

noddyholder Wed 12-Dec-12 09:40:34

Love fringes butntheybdon.t suit me so Botox it is

daimbardiva Wed 12-Dec-12 13:42:27

Yes! Argan oil is great - I have hair that sounds like yours and argan oil really helps calm it down. And yes to fringe too. I cut one in with much trepidation 5 years ago, and would not go back. It is a bit scary when you look at the wrikles that have appeared underneath though!

Thanks daimbar, Argan oil sounds really good and I am now seriously considering a fringe. So should I get it done before Christmas, or wait until Jan? DC2 is due in mid-Jan, so should I do something about my look now while I theoretically have a bit more time?

IWishIKnewHow Thu 13-Dec-12 14:22:33

Yes, do it before Christmas! Then you can get used to styling it before new baby madness hits. If you do get a fringe just invest in a wide stretchy headband for those early days when you don't have time/too tired to be bothered. Good luck and let us know how you get on! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now