Cocktail dress?

(38 Posts)
herethereandeverywhere Sun 09-Dec-12 21:56:40

I've been invited with DH to go to a glitzy TV event/awards evening-type thing. The dress code is "lounge suits and cocktail dresses". Anything I have in my wardrobe from past Xmas parties and the like is too small. I have just shelled out on this:

http://www.my-wardrobe.com/vivienne-westwood-anglomania/new-drape-salon-print-dress-512718

(which was going to be for my relatively low-key Xmas nights out to wear over skinny jeans).

I have some old but comfy gold heels and clutch or a pair of black Laboutins (classic court style) and little black bag - do you think if I wear these with it it would pass as a "cocktail dress"?

cathyandclaire Tue 11-Dec-12 09:05:34

That blue one is absolutely stunning! Surely you could wear it again it is wearable but also fabulous...
Feeling a bit envy I want to go to glam TV awards in blue sparkly dress!!!

RSVPforChristmaslunch Tue 11-Dec-12 11:47:03

I love these two
I am similar size/build/color to you and this is the sort of thing I'd go for in the off-chance I ever get invited to an award party

ooh I like those two RSVP

herethereandeverywhere Tue 11-Dec-12 16:00:49

Thanks Jax/thanks all. Particularly like the first one in Jax's post!

The event is on Sunday so I'm running a bit short of time - DH has promised a shopping trip on Thursday to get me a dress (that has never happened in the history of ever!)

I'm out tonight but tomorrow going to get the accessories and the VW dress out and decide if it's that or something new! Will keep you posted!

DonaAna Tue 11-Dec-12 16:16:54

OP, Definitely use this as a chance to get something new!

I really like you patterned VW dress (to me it is a superb day dress, but I might not wear it at night). In my experience it's a good idea to have a solid color or black one as well. For the reference, I have at least 10 cocktail dresses in my wardrobe wink

About to start getting dressed for the cocktails tonight...

herethereandeverywhere Thu 13-Dec-12 19:33:40

Well ladies I'm here to report back on my shopping trip to Harvey Nicks!

Firstly, there's 30% of clothes and 20% off accessories in store and online. Whoop whoop! Glad I didn't purchase earlier in the week!

Secondly, I got a dress which I think breaks all of the rules you helpful ladies set me <sorry> BUT I had the best time with the assistant bringing me dozens of dresses to try and my two DDs causing a bit of havoc in there grin

So, what did I choose? Well, 1) it's black (mostly) 2) it's a print! <crosses fingers for approval, awaits slating.....> THIS

My reasoning was this: It looks amazing on, really suits my shape, so flattering and really comfortable. It's quite short, even on me, but not indecently so, so it feels and looks "cocktail" not "day" or "office" (or middle-age woman per her classic 'wrap') and 2) I'll get quite a bit of wear out of it, esp. as it feels so good on. I tried loads of stuff, Alexander Wang, Philip Lim, McQ, Kenzo but that one ticked all the boxes. Also I forgot to say, when the passes for the event came, the paperwork said the dresscode was "smart" and went on to say "we suggest cocktail dresses/loungesuits", so I was a bit less comfortable doing sequin for "smart".

So, was thinking the black louboutin courts plus little vintage gucci bag (unfortunately also black...)

What's the verdict? And if you want to accessorise me up from shops I can get to in London tomorrow during my Xmas shop then please do! DH had set me a £550 budget and with discount the dress came in at £250ish - I'm a cheap date wink

Oh, and I'm booked for a blowdry. Straight with fringe or wavy and swept fringe? Or up <won't I look like a bridesmaid though>?

I'm grin smile grin !

Right, need to do bedtime stories, back later!

I love that dress! Yes to the black shoes and bag - because trying to match the print color on the dress will be hellish.

Get your hair whichever way you like to have it. grin

notMarlene Thu 13-Dec-12 20:43:59

Love it!

Hair wise, straight in a messy chignon? bit like this?

'fraid matching bag and shoes is frumptastic, whatever the brand IMHO. this bag would be just the ticket, over budget though. The right shade of purple or a tealy-turquoise would work too.

Earrings are all you need for jewelery, surely? Have you got any dazzyly studs or drops?

herethereandeverywhere Thu 13-Dec-12 21:42:52

Thank you ladies!

I love that bag notMarlene envy - might look for something leather, in a colour, in my budget and see what I come up with - really fancy a coloured clutch! My best earrings are pearls with little diamonds which won't go so I might look for some believable costume ones that aren't too OTT.

Love that hairdo it but might just make me look a bit messy! Will have an experiment.

Anyway, even if I end up doing the matching shoes and bag shocker shock I feel in pretty good shape for Sunday!

FlourFace Fri 14-Dec-12 01:47:55

Oh no I loved your original dress! But this one is the second best (after your VW dress) on the thread, so good choice!

I would do straight and fringe for the hair.

CockBollocks Fri 14-Dec-12 21:31:01

Some lovely dresses on here, I have seen the Bardot in store and its gorgeous.

www.tedbaker.com/women%27s/shop_by/party_wear/dresses/list.aspx?int_cmpid=partywear_womens_dresses#-

CockBollocks Fri 14-Dec-12 21:33:47

Oh sorry - missed your last post!! That dress is lovely - I love a good print smile

have a lovely time tomorrow evening herethere

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now