Help, I've accidentally shrunk a cashmere jumper

(39 Posts)
quietbatperson Sat 08-Dec-12 22:18:23

I put it through a cotton cycle with a full spin by accident sad It's still damp, is there anything I can do to stretch it out again?

goralka Sat 08-Dec-12 22:21:19

I hate to tell you but no, that's it really.

Oh no! What size was it before & what size is it now?

bishboschone Sat 08-Dec-12 22:30:13

Keep stretching it while its wet . Iron it and again stretch it out while dampish . It's possible to get it to stretch a bit.

monkeysmama Sat 08-Dec-12 22:46:21

Worth a try but in my bitter experience it's probably lost.

CajaDeLaMemoria Sat 08-Dec-12 22:48:25

You might be able to stretch it but it probably won't be wearable again.

I've got two the fmil has washed - she spent hours trying to stretch and shape them afterwards but they are shapeless, baggy and horrendous.

Give it a try, but I wouldn't hold out to much hope. Sorry.

NagooHoHoHo Sat 08-Dec-12 22:51:06

Buy a tiny dog, and a new jumper.

drcrab Sat 08-Dec-12 23:04:42

Nope. Sorry. hmm

goralka Sat 08-Dec-12 23:07:02

I did that to a lovely pink ballet-style cardigan my daughter had - made a fab dolly's jumper though...

quietbatperson Sat 08-Dec-12 23:14:06

It started as a size 16-18, and is now an 8-10. It's a good thing I've lost weight this year and it was too big.

I have soaked it for 10 minutes.in tepid water with some hair conditioner, and stretched it out on a huge towel with DH's help. It is sort of pegged out with tins holding it down in the stretched position.

NagooHoHoHo Sat 08-Dec-12 23:27:11

Ohhh you could get a bigger dog then wink

NagooHoHoHo Sat 08-Dec-12 23:27:54

Bless you, you really liked that jumper, eh? thanks

thenightsky Sat 08-Dec-12 23:30:16

oh i've lost too many items of knitwear like this sad I have a phobia about getting owt vaguely wollen even wet these days.

SrirachaGirl Sat 08-Dec-12 23:32:00

Do you have a DD? My ten year-old would be delighted to hear that I'd shrunk a cashmere jumper as she has a silver spoon lodged firmly in her mouth.

queenofthepirates Sat 08-Dec-12 23:38:11

Shrunken cashmere jumpers make fabulous cushion covers if you can sew.

quietbatperson Sun 09-Dec-12 07:37:17

No DD, but two DSs who would quite like it (it's grey), but they are too small for it even in its shrunken state. It's now over an airer finishing drying. I might put it on DH for a further stretching out later grin

gazzalw Sun 09-Dec-12 07:41:30

DW did this with a very lovely Ralph Lauren jumper she'd bought me - never again expensive wool items in this household. I do feel your pain sad....

FamiliesShareGerms Sun 09-Dec-12 07:58:19

I have managed to save one of DH's merino jumpers by stretching and stretching while wet, but I suspect cashmere would be too fine to take that treatment, I'm afraid.

EwanHoHoHozami Sun 09-Dec-12 08:01:46

would it make you feel better if I told you that I really like your name?

and that there's 30% off at the crumpet outlet store this w/e with COUNT30]] ?

quietbatperson Sun 09-Dec-12 09:00:19

Thank you Ewan. I think DH is quietly celebrating because he now knows what to get me for Christmas hmm

I.normally have a system for keeping delicates etc out of the main wash by using a separate laundry basket, but it broke and I haven't got around to getting another one <curses>

I am an 8-10. I'll buy it from you?

Chandon Sun 09-Dec-12 09:30:20

That is it, I am afraid.

The ony cashmere that reovers from this treatment is Brora, imo.

Most brands go too woolly and weirdshaped and shrunken to ever be worn again...

quietbatperson Sun 09-Dec-12 10:03:22

Thank you tak1chances but it is now nearer a 12-14 after the work I have put in to stretching it. I am going to iron it later to try and stretch it a teeny bit more. I was feeling pessimistic but it's actually looking promising.

It's a Fenn Wright Manson sweater and I am impressed with the way it has stretched again. The weave won't ever be quite right again though.

Well done! Thank goodness for mumsnet.
I should have stayed away from this thread though, I bought a cashmere dress just now with Ewan's crumpet discount code!

quietbatperson Sun 09-Dec-12 10:18:47

There's a picture on my profile of my sweater pinned underneath a load of tins and bottles of wine go on have a laugh

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now