How do I avoid an unfortunate camel toe look - running kit

(51 Posts)
drjohnsonscat Fri 07-Dec-12 17:10:58

So my jogging bottoms are typically sort of light jersey and fairly wide legged with an elastic waist (jogging bottoms basically!). I've had my current pair for about 5 years and desperately need some new ones but everything I've tried has the camel toe issue going on. My current ones don't have this problem which is why I've had them so long. I have a big bum, big hips/thighs and a fairly small waist so it's not a question of going up a size - then I just end up with camel toe plus baggy waist. Is the problem that I have a long waist so there's a long distance from crotch (sorry blush) to waist? If so, does anyone cater for this freakish body shape?

dexter73 Fri 07-Dec-12 17:17:33

You need to run so fast that no-one has time to see it.

Amblin Fri 07-Dec-12 17:18:21

Different brand. Thicker material.

Amblin Fri 07-Dec-12 17:18:37

Wear pants?

Lancelottie Fri 07-Dec-12 17:19:45

Running tights plus baggy shortas?

Lancelottie Fri 07-Dec-12 17:20:01

Shorts, dammit. Not Shortass. That'd be me.

GreatUncleEddie Fri 07-Dec-12 17:21:11

Mine look a lot better now I've lost a few pounds - I think they were making the leggings ride up. In the meantime - get a longer top!

drjohnsonscat Fri 07-Dec-12 17:24:05

Am laughing at the responses.

a) I can't run faster. I practically kill myself to overtake old ladies and toddlers as it is.
b) I am wearing pants, cheeky grin
c) LOL at calling me shortass. I sort of am.
d) I have such shocking legs (like probably in the top ten worst legs you have ever seen) that I can't contemplate tights & shorts.

Clearly I am hideous and ungainly. I really need help!

NorbertDentressangle Fri 07-Dec-12 17:24:39

Someone linked to an anti-camel toe device on here recently (I kid you not, they really do exist!) but I don't know how you would explain it away if it fell out on your run and dropped out of the bottom of your jogging bottoms grin

NorbertDentressangle Fri 07-Dec-12 17:26:02

Just in case you thought I was having you on .

You could put it on your Xmas list grin

DonaAna Fri 07-Dec-12 17:26:19

I run almost every day and see lots of running outfits - some of them less flattering than others. I'm still traumatized after having seen someone in see-through leggings today... VPLs and thigh jiggle are way too common: this is why God created longline tops. Unless you are a supermodel and completely free of cellulite, the answer is a longline, possibly draped top (Sweaty Betty tops are very flattering). If you need to define your waist, you can wear a belt or something to hold your phone etc. (I know fanny packs are not the height of fashion but many stylish Romans wear them while running).

That said, people won't care. But looking good will make you feel better, and that will make you want to exercise more regularly.

Acandlelitshadow Fri 07-Dec-12 17:27:21

Cricket box? grin

MrsHoarder Fri 07-Dec-12 17:27:42

Don't stop running. Camel you're is only really visible when you're stood with both legs together. Much harder to see when you're moving.

You are out jogging. In Lycra/ other stretchy material. Seriously, don't worry about it! It's not a fashion moment! ( Nb, a panty liner is aupposed to help?)

drjohnsonscat Fri 07-Dec-12 17:35:41

Norbert that is amazing grin. I'm just trying to picture the pitch meeting with the bank manager who financed this business.

cricket box grin grin

I had a look at Sweaty Betty - hadn't thought of a long line top. Maybe that's the way to go. Couldn't see any on there but maybe I need to upgrade my stuff anyway because it all looks really nice and would probably help me run faster smile

Amblin Fri 07-Dec-12 17:37:38

I couldn't wear a baggy top running.

Amblin Fri 07-Dec-12 17:39:41

I have Nike shorts and capris. No issue with toe. Think you need to size up

drjohnsonscat Fri 07-Dec-12 17:40:32

I've been of the same mind Amblin, I don't want to look like embarrassed middle aged mum trying to cover up while shuffling around the streets. This is exactly what I am but would like to do it with a bit of confidence.

dexter73 Fri 07-Dec-12 17:48:30

I have a toe but it is because my capris are too big and a bit baggy in the crotch (TMI).

LancsDad Fri 07-Dec-12 17:55:35

Wear a cricket box.

BranchingOut Fri 07-Dec-12 17:59:24

Tunic?

DaySleeper Fri 07-Dec-12 18:16:58

Long line tops can end up all bunched between your legs when running, ime. What about running shorts over bike pants or three quarter yoga pants type things?

RedwingWinter Fri 07-Dec-12 18:21:28

Wear one of those skort things, over leggings/running tights if you don't want legs on display. Then the area is covered by a skirt.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. So long as you are in motion, it's not an issue anyway.

BikeRunSki Fri 07-Dec-12 18:32:19

Loose Capri pants in a woven fabric rather than stretch jersey? I had some from Nike.

nellyjelly Fri 07-Dec-12 18:37:15

Camel toe?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now