ARGH! How do I work out my bra size?

(58 Posts)

I cannot find a reliable answer to this on the net. Under my bust is about 35 inches, over it is approx 38 inches. Apparently I should be in a size 40AA??? This seems laughably unlikely. Any suggestions?

SorrelForbes Tue 11-Dec-12 23:31:42

That's great to hear grin

grin

Themobstersknife Tue 11-Dec-12 21:06:48

Can I just say that this thread is the single most useful thread I have ever read on mn! I measure similar to one of the other posters and, based on the advice on here, I realised the bra I was wearing was way out. I have now worked out my new size and it has transformed my figure! Thankyou!

SorrelForbes Sun 09-Dec-12 19:00:45

Good luck. Remember to be brave, get the back right and then keep going up though the cups. If the back fits when done up back to front and then becomes too tight once you put the bra on properly, the cups are too small!

And thanks too Sorrel! I'm in a 38C at the moment so Im well out on sizing!

Thanks dishwasher! E/F cups? <faints> I'll see what shops I can get to and try things on!
Just knowing I may find a fitting bra and possibly having big boobs has made me feel so much more body confident! smile

SorrelForbes Sun 09-Dec-12 18:51:38

Wewere try a 32F, a 32FF and a 34E. However I suspect the 32 back will be a better fit.

SorrelForbes Sun 09-Dec-12 18:49:20

Clure. I am fairly confident you will find the 30B too big in the band and too small in the cup. Be brave, try a 28C and remember to scoop!

BTW my teenage niece who has little bumps of breasts wears a 28DD.

RarelyUnreasonable Sun 09-Dec-12 18:42:53

I'm enjoying feeling bustier I know it's just the milk.

dishwashervodkaanddietirnbru Sun 09-Dec-12 18:39:47

wewereherefirst, I would try a 32 and a 34 back size and you would be round about an E/F/FF cup - try different styles to see what suits best.

Clure Sun 09-Dec-12 18:39:02

Can't believe I could be a c cup! i really have bordering on fried eggs! Think i may try a 30b though, thanks

Oh my word, I was going to write a very similar post, I'm a 33" underbust and 40" overbust- I've been in a 38"/40"bra for longer than I care to remember because of rubbish advice!

I can't begin to imagine I could be a D/E cup after all these years of being a AA-B cup shock

Thank you for posting this!

RarelyUnreasonable Sun 09-Dec-12 18:17:58

Thanks - am sitting much more pertly and comfortably in a 34D. Need to try an E too, but I now see why the 38 back was ridiculous. Pre-preg was a size 12.

dishwashervodkaanddietirnbru Sun 09-Dec-12 10:47:51

A 34 back would suit your measurements better but maybe maternity bras have funny sizing!? Are you sure of your under boob measurement? With the figures given I would gave suggested 34D or E.

RarelyUnreasonable Sun 09-Dec-12 09:30:11

Help me too! I'm in nursing bras 2 weeks since having DS. Can't get measured in RL as I would ruin stock through leakage!

Under bra was 33.5, around boobs 38.

I've been in mothercare drop cup 38D ones, and can't see how anything smaller than 38 will do up, but am ready to listen to your wisdom. Can I compromise with a 36 for now? wink

brighthair Sun 09-Dec-12 01:21:16

Clure - I would try a 28C to start with

soundevenfruity Sun 09-Dec-12 00:01:34

Yes, it's a tough one. I lived in the middle of nowhere and wore pregnancy bras for the first 18 months of DS's life which didn't really hold the breasts in properly and gave me horrible backaches. I was fitted properly after DS's birth when I could drive to the (relatively) nearest Bravissimo shop and it was not a great experience - they didn't have anything for my huge breasts. Being properly fitted is great. There might be a small underwear shop around you with a knowledgeable owner. You don't need to buy all your bras there.

Clure Sat 08-Dec-12 23:57:46

wow intersting. I wear a 32A and have just measured underbust is 28 and across bust 31, what would you recommend I try? sorry to but in ,never been measured except for maternity bra 7 years ago!

Hijack away Elle grin

I have been measured in the past (when DC1 was tiny, so quite a long time in the past!) but was underwhelmed by the experience.

R&P is a nice idea but (1) nearest store is a couple of hundred miles away and (2) um I currently buy my underwear off ebay blush

soundevenfruity Sat 08-Dec-12 22:53:42

I would get measured in Rigby and Peller. I know it is not a budget option but I got fed up with being uncomfortable in bras that were bought based on advice of Bravissimo, JL, M&S fitters. Being properly fitted for a bra is quite amazing - your breasts do not pull you forward, nothing rides up or down, you don't feel you wear a bra at all. Well worth the expense.

AViewfromtheFridge Sat 08-Dec-12 22:16:50

And StatisticallyChallenged, that does make sense. Cripes, I might even end up with cleavage at this rate!

AViewfromtheFridge Sat 08-Dec-12 22:15:43

Oh thank you BOF blush

Tgger Sat 08-Dec-12 22:14:02

I've found getting measured (if you have time and can bear it) incredibly useful. I've done it only twice in my life, once fairly recently when I decided to replace my stock of grey garments with white ones [grin[.

BOFingSanta Sat 08-Dec-12 22:09:07

AViewFromTheFridge- fucking AWESOME name, I love it!

AViewFromTheFridge, scooping also works much better in a smaller back size - when the back is a little loose the scooped bit can have a tendency to slide back out. Once you tighten the back up that stops happening smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now