since tunics are out...advice please (shorties)

(17 Posts)
laptopdancer Thu 06-Dec-12 12:17:10

Ive actually never worn a tunic but was considering it. Obv now that's out the window!

I'd like to know what ideas other shorties have for what would suit.
Sadly, I am rather heavy (having just come out of a dark period) but that is in hand am am losing weight. Problem is, I do need to dress in the time between now and when I am a nicer size. (especially in winter!)

Any ideas for a slightly less than 5 foot 2, small bones (size 3-4 foot),probably size 14-16 (ranges with brands, sometimes I need to but a much larger size, even to 20 if a mean waist fitting, although about 1.5-2 stone overweight). The larger sizes always look silly and swim aound my shoulders but fit me on the body. All weight in waist, belly area. Cant tuck in, cant wear cling or horizontal stripes.

any suggestions?
signed A freak (apparantly)

laptopdancer Thu 06-Dec-12 12:17:59

apparently sorry

Just wear a tunic. I do grin

laptopdancer Thu 06-Dec-12 12:19:35

grin

nappydaysagain Thu 06-Dec-12 12:21:56

Second just wear a tunic. I do and I get lots of complements when wearing them, even the ones from shock Whitestuff shock.

laptopdancer Thu 06-Dec-12 12:25:50

I have never seen a whitestuff...is it online only?

snowtunesgirl Thu 06-Dec-12 12:27:35

Sod it. I wear tunics! They suit me. grin

nappydaysagain Thu 06-Dec-12 12:29:41

I buy on line but hunt for a discount code first. There are shops but none local to me. I think there's 20% off at the moment. Whitestuff gets a slating on mumsnet but I have some things from there I love

MyMelody Thu 06-Dec-12 12:55:47

take no notice of that thread, tunics are great, wear what you feel comfortable wearing and don't worry what anyone else thinkssmile

Chandon Thu 06-Dec-12 14:20:09

I am different shape, but I love wearing a dress, tights and boots.

It is a look that suits most women, is comfy and smart. You can wear a belt to give it a mor structured look.

PoshPaula Thu 06-Dec-12 17:01:14

There is nothing wrong with wearing a tunic. They can look really good. I wear them. But don't let that put you off http://cdnmn.com/emo/tch/2.gif

PoshPaula Thu 06-Dec-12 17:01:45

Sorry tried to do a smiley face then - didn't work out.

laptopdancer Thu 06-Dec-12 17:03:27

Thanks Chandon, I can't wear belts as I have a very thick waist. I find the dress thing makes me look like a sack of spouds but do like them sad

Chandon Thu 06-Dec-12 17:51:38

Just try lots of them on, I only suit one kind of dress really, and others look like sacks!

OWe3WiseKneeHairsOfOrientAre Thu 06-Dec-12 17:55:16

After reading the tunicgate thread and Hully's countermeasure, I had to go on Uniqlo to look at the tunics.
I have just ordered two and a longish jumper.
I am 5' 2 (and a half)" and a size 14 and obviously Mumsy, but I don't care

grin

OWe3WiseKneeHairsOfOrientAre Thu 06-Dec-12 17:56:48

Oh, and I found a code (ocado10) for £10 off if you spend over £60, which is why I bought the third item.

Phaedra11 Thu 06-Dec-12 21:57:01

Try some tunics on. The right ones will make you look slimmer and longer of leg and then you won't care about the anti-tunic threads!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now