Advise needed to accesorise my red satin wedding dress.

(59 Posts)
Spuddybean Wed 05-Dec-12 18:04:45

Hi All

I have purchased this wedding dress to wear at my Jan wedding. I am thinking a satin bolero or faux fur bolero with pearls and maybe these shoes I'd rather red i think but can't find any - would leopard print be too much for a wedding? Shoes, must be under 3 inches and be comfortable - the thicker the heel the better.

So, any advice?

HoHoBrandyButter Thu 06-Dec-12 22:20:41

Like the cream faux fur bolero - try rainbow club or Pink shoes. As they're bridal they're reeeeally comfy, plus they can be dyed any colour (not sure how long it takes tho).

scripsi Thu 06-Dec-12 21:18:02

this is a long shot but these are all available in red: www.lightinthebox.com/ns/satin_v2737t0/red_v2849t0/wedding_v2858t0/shoes_c3349/2.html?gclid=CKPi3fTYhrQCFSnJtAodtigAtQ¤cy=GBP&litb_from=paid_adwords_search
I have never used the company but reviews look good.

Spuddybean Thu 06-Dec-12 16:54:34

thanks ladies. I like the bow back shrug, but am unsure whether the material would go with satin. I also like the red shoes Mycat - but i am a size 8 and they seem to be out of stock.

Cheers Scripsi but sadly i can't walk in kitten heels, something to do with my centre of gravity and the height x thin-ness of the heel.

scripsi Thu 06-Dec-12 14:08:15

not sure if you're still looking but there are these shoes too which have a closed toe and low heel: www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0071BO62O/ref=s9_simh_gw_p309_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0MCNNZ3Q4V2BQ6RZWXQT&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=317828027&pf_rd_i=468294
they are by Insolia (so apparently they would be super comfy with some kind of gel cushioning).

mycatlikestwiglets Thu 06-Dec-12 11:49:34

Gorgeous dress! I think your original choices would work better than anything else suggested on here and look a bit more "bridal" - you're going to look stunning! Here are a couple more options for the cover up which I found, although I really like the satin one you linked to (you just need to make sure that it goes with the satin of your dress):

Monsoon angora shrug or bow back shrug

I also love these red shoes but know you wanted closed toe. Lots of options on the Debenhams website if you decide to go for red shoes.

Spuddybean Wed 05-Dec-12 22:25:28

Thanks, but i want the detail on the front of the dress to be visible and i also have cold arms so want them covered. i think a bolero is the way to go but it's just what colour and material. Also what's possible to source and have delivered in the next 2 weeks.

EvilTwins Wed 05-Dec-12 22:20:43

What about a little cape rather than a bolero? Not black, obv, but was looking quickly... I have a beautiful brown one with a ribbon tie (rather than a fastener like the picture) which I wore for a friend's Christmas wedding a couple of years ago. Did the trick and was totally hands free.

Spuddybean Wed 05-Dec-12 22:16:07

we will be doing that too soupmaker. we are staying at a hotel near to register office with our baby the night before. we will get ready together and arrive with baby and mingle. we will be staying at the hotel with the baby in the room that night too - mmm romantic!

scripsi Wed 05-Dec-12 22:11:13

I was at a winter wedding last year and the bride had a faux fur muff rather than gloves to keep her hands warm.

soupmaker Wed 05-Dec-12 22:07:16

You take the gloves off before the ceremony and put them back on if you want after. I've seen it done. Looked fab. But it wasn't a traditional do, bride and groom arrived together and mingled with guests before doing the deed. shock

Spuddybean Wed 05-Dec-12 21:47:40

aaah yes, good thinking. i really don't want to be cold. we have to walk from the register office to the reception, 15 mins thru central london.

Thistledew Wed 05-Dec-12 21:39:45

Gloves are no good for a wedding. What would you do when you exchange rings (assuming you are having a wedding ring)? Would you take one glove off? Both? You couldn't then put it back on as people will want to see your ring (snurkwink).

Maraki Wed 05-Dec-12 21:25:21

My vote is for a grey fur stole or bolero and silver sandals. I wore sandals at a winter ball and it was snowing, it wasnt bad. Get those open toe tights from M&S if you must.
I really love your dress!!!

WeAreSix Wed 05-Dec-12 21:24:58

Fabulous idea soup

Time to browse those vintage shops for inspiration!

soupmaker Wed 05-Dec-12 21:19:43

Oooh. Love Dita style hair. You're going to look amazing.

Spuddybean Wed 05-Dec-12 21:15:48

oh yes, i do have long white satin opera gloves...

hair down and finger waves i think like dita von teese. i had my hair up at my first wedding ;)

soupmaker Wed 05-Dec-12 21:10:59

What a fab dress. I love the idea of a faux fur stole or bolero. How about long red elbow length gloves. I'm a sucker for Hollywood glamour so I can imagine red lipstick and a fab 40s up do. I think gold or bronze vintage style shoes would look fab.

WeAreSix Wed 05-Dec-12 21:03:05

The corsets on that website are stunning! (Off topic, sorry!)

A very pale gold for the bolero maybe? Have you looked at Debenhams / House of Fraser bridal wear?

Spuddybean Wed 05-Dec-12 20:58:40

not sure how the leopard shoes would go with faux fur bolero/wrap - i think double animal is a no no.

IveBeenGoodSantaIPromise Wed 05-Dec-12 20:52:35

Oh I really like the m and a leopard shoes. I think they would be much better than white shoes

IveBeenGoodSantaIPromise Wed 05-Dec-12 20:50:48

www.beegorgeousbridalaccessories.co.uk/id100.html

I love your dress it is beautiful. I think a vintage look with it would be good. The faux fur shrugs on this website I think would go really well

Spuddybean Wed 05-Dec-12 20:50:08

are these too weird? leopard

Spuddybean Wed 05-Dec-12 20:43:40

i just dont think we have the time for a local dressmaker. Also i am on a budget so can only really spend £50 on shoes and £50 on bolero/shrug. i could go over if it was something amazing i could use again. i think i should put something in my hair too.

WeAreSix Wed 05-Dec-12 20:35:21

I wouldn't mix the red & white either. It sounds like you have some gorgeous colours to choose from the uniform. Would a local dress maker be an option? A bolero / similar wouldn't cost much to make.

Spuddybean Wed 05-Dec-12 20:20:22

oh olivia that sounds like a great idea. i would love some bright royal blue satin shoes. don't think they'd go with red.

maybe some ruby slippers a la wizard of oz...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now