Advise needed to accesorise my red satin wedding dress.

(59 Posts)
Spuddybean Wed 05-Dec-12 18:04:45

Hi All

I have purchased this wedding dress to wear at my Jan wedding. I am thinking a satin bolero or faux fur bolero with pearls and maybe these shoes I'd rather red i think but can't find any - would leopard print be too much for a wedding? Shoes, must be under 3 inches and be comfortable - the thicker the heel the better.

So, any advice?

Spuddybean Wed 05-Dec-12 18:11:04

oh god, have i spelled advice wrong? i fucking well have! no one answer me - i don't deserve help.

Thistledew Wed 05-Dec-12 18:38:39

Hi Spuddy

I think your dress looks great. I am wearing a non-white dress for my wedding in March and have noticed that people's interest drops of markedly when I say I am not wearing white. It is quite bizarre.

I think both boleros are great. The first is definitely more classic, and more 'bridal' but the second works very well for a winter wedding. I am wearing a dark gold/bronze dress with a white/cream train that falls from my shoulders as a nod to the bridal traditions. I would choose the first if you want a similar effect and the second if you want to be less traditional.

I can't open the link to your shoes on my phone but would say that if you go for red, you should get some in a decidedly darker shade than your dress rather than trying to match it exactly. White shoes would work well with the first bolero but not so well with the second. Maybe a metallic colour?

MrsSnow Wed 05-Dec-12 18:40:29

I'd be worried with the red and the white it might look a bit too Father Christmas-esque.

I think with a red bolero you could wear the leopard print.

MrsSnow Wed 05-Dec-12 18:41:19

Btw I think the dress is beautiful.

Spuddybean Wed 05-Dec-12 18:47:34

hhhmm i was thinking that about xmas. i was originally looking at a browny fur stole. i would want something i could wear tho rather than carry around me. Also i need to be warm inside but not hot. i also need something to wear outside, over the dress.

i've been married before and mine an dp's 15wk old will be there with us so i thought white would be a bit much - why not be the scarlet woman that i am!

MrsSnow Wed 05-Dec-12 18:50:00

What about a shawl instead? Something which would bring out the red? Something like this, not ideal it's America but am sure you could find similar if not better here.
www.ebay.com/itm/Pakistani-Embroidered-Shawl-wrap-Ornate-Pattern-Gold-Beads-AWESOME-/290722749983

Spuddybean Wed 05-Dec-12 18:52:28

a bit too summery i think. also i'd like a more vintage look i think. thanks tho smile

MrsSnow Wed 05-Dec-12 18:52:57

Just saw your message about wanting to wear something. Could you get something like an organza 'coat' made a bit like Camilla wore to her wedding to give you the coverage outdoors/ceremony and then take it off for reception.

camilla

Thistledew Wed 05-Dec-12 18:58:00

I don't think that people will look at the red and white and think 'Father Christmas' unless you are particularly short and "jolly" with a white beard

The satin is very elegant and is further away from any Christmas connotations. I would also go with a fitted top rather than a shawl that will need you to hold it in place as well as carrying your bouquet, glass of champagne etc.

Spuddybean Wed 05-Dec-12 19:04:53

oh and DP will be wearing his military mess dress so he has a sort of forest green short waiters jacket and a stone coloured waistcoat with brass buttons and black trousers with green stripes down the outside seam of the leg.

HassledHasASledge Wed 05-Dec-12 19:09:54

I'm crap at accessorising and am only here to say I also had a red satin wedding dress. Best Wedding Dress Ever grin I had a pearly/beaded bolero thing and struggled to find decent red shoes (surprisingly hard to find).

Thistledew Wed 05-Dec-12 19:12:09

Red and white will look great with what your DP is wearing- red being a military colour will remove any Christmas connotations. I would suggest shoes in a bronze colour to pick up the colour from his buttons, but I have been looking for and failing to find some to go with my own outfit so maybe that is not a good suggestion!

bishboschone Wed 05-Dec-12 19:17:47

My friend bought that bolero for her wedding from eBay. She is slim size 10 but it was snug .

Spuddybean Wed 05-Dec-12 19:19:14

His Corps colours are Red, Green and Stone so i was thinking of trying to match if possible. Perhaps some grey satin shoes to match his waistcoat.

Any ideas on bouquet flowers?

bishboschone Wed 05-Dec-12 19:19:29

Fluffy bolero is a good idea but not with arms , that one in the-link looks a bit teddy beary .. Lovely dress btw

WizardofOs Wed 05-Dec-12 19:20:37

I would wear red shoes. If you can't find any you could get white ones dyed.

Spuddybean Wed 05-Dec-12 19:21:46

i definitely want sleeves of some sort (fleshy upper arms!)

bish how long were the arms on your friend?

Spuddybean Wed 05-Dec-12 19:23:36

I also don't have much time. Wedding on 5th Jan. So with a 12 wk old, not being able to drive or get to shops and xmas approaching, everything needs to be orderable online and soon. Sadly i don't have time for tailoring or dyeing i don't think.

scripsi Wed 05-Dec-12 19:23:42
Spuddybean Wed 05-Dec-12 19:28:35

scripsi - i like the second ones but they aren't available sad

bishboschone Wed 05-Dec-12 19:31:54

Jut past the elbow I think.

Curtsey Wed 05-Dec-12 19:35:02

OP would you consider a sort of browny-gold/grey faux-fur of some kind (stole or bolero) instead of white? Something like this?

Would go with red shoes.
Gorgeous dress.

scripsi Wed 05-Dec-12 19:36:13

hmm it could be that people are playing shopping cart ping pong with them so you could check back to see if any reappear for sale ... drat.

Carvela: www.amazon.co.uk/Carvela-Womens-Antonio-Decorative-2497250759/dp/B005GYR8Y6/ref=sr_1_10?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1354735985&sr=1-10

bishboschone Wed 05-Dec-12 19:40:05

280989226796. Can't do link on phone but this eBay number is what I would go for .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now