will we EVER rid the concept of a TUNIC from S&B?

(454 Posts)
Amblin Wed 05-Dec-12 07:29:15

no its none of my business
no there is still world poverty to worry about

PetFox Wed 05-Dec-12 11:21:27

Ok Ephiny and bigmouth, I'm shortish too, so would wear everything on this thread as a dress! I can see how if you were closer to 6ft than 5ft you'd have to think carefully about whether something is going to reveal your butt or your midriff when you don't want it too.

But people getting offended...this is S&B, I thought the point of it was to judge clothes? grin

MrsBucketxx Wed 05-Dec-12 11:23:06

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

SquishyCinnamonSwirls Wed 05-Dec-12 11:25:21

MakeHay! grin like your post!

WHY on earth would anyone JUDGE someone else for the way they are dressed?! As long as they are decent and everything that should be covered is covered, and it's not necessary for brain bleach then what does it matter?!
The fact that you judge says an awful lot more about you than it does about the people you are choosing to judge.

GreatCongas Wed 05-Dec-12 11:30:47

What are people supposed to wear?

SherbetVodka Wed 05-Dec-12 11:32:09

Mrs Bucket, my post was meant sarcastically. Apologies if this was not obvious.

lostconfusedwhatnext Wed 05-Dec-12 11:40:07

Size-ism is nasty. I do not hold with it. My quasi-fascist completely unreasonable frothing objection to the tunic has no connection at all with size-ism.

Squishy, if you so strenuously DO NOT CARE WHAT ANYONE WEARS and in fact refuse to acknowledge that there is such a thing as being well-dressed or badly-dressed, why be on S&B? I mean it is a perfectly tenable position but it is odd that you hold it and yet come on here to read what opiniated people think about clothes.

lostconfusedwhatnext Wed 05-Dec-12 11:40:36

GreatCongas, in answer to your question, wear what suits you, with pride.

InNeedOfBrandyButter Wed 05-Dec-12 11:44:46

lostandconfused A lot (me included) only go on active convos not set topics so we can click on lots of "places" we wouldn't think to go on usually. Bit rude of you to tell people where they can and can't go....

lostconfusedwhatnext Wed 05-Dec-12 11:46:13

Inneedofbrandybutter - I am not telling people where to go and not go, I am expressing a mild curiosity about why people might choose to go to places which make them miserable. However, each to his own.

cathyandclaire Wed 05-Dec-12 11:50:47

Ok.... Just checking, don't have any tunics but after checking out this thread am v v tempted by some of the ones that look like jumper dresses.... I'm a shortarse, is it acceptable to wear those as dresses with thick tights or is that Mumsy?

SherbetVodka Wed 05-Dec-12 11:51:04

Size-ism is nasty. I do not hold with it. My quasi-fascist completely unreasonable frothing objection to the tunic has no connection at all with size-ism

How is that? Genuine question, btw. Because in your previous post, you went on at some length about carbs and sugar and "chubbiness" and women being "podgy" or and then said "this is why we are seeing the tunic". I don't understand how your distaste for people wearing tunics because they're 'podgy' can not be anything to do with sizism.

As I said, it's a genuine question. I'm not being confrontational, just interested smile

MadameCastafiore Wed 05-Dec-12 11:54:39

I hope none of you slating tunics own boot cut jeans - they are the most mumsy things going.

May as well just say 'I am middle aged' on the label!

lostconfusedwhatnext Wed 05-Dec-12 11:54:41

Sherbert, well, the hypothesis about the chub is not WHY I don't like them. I just don't like them. I don't mean to be mean when talking about chub. Sorry if I offended anyone.

SquishyCinnamonSwirls Wed 05-Dec-12 11:56:18

Am I miserable? I actually didn't know that, thanks for making me aware.
Brandybutter has a similar navigating style to me, I click active convo's. I wasn't aware that I shouldn't venture into this part of mn, how utterly shocking.

My point is that instead of judging the clothing, people have clearly said that they are judging the people wearing the clothing.

lostconfusedwhatnext Wed 05-Dec-12 11:56:27

btw in my mind a short dress with thick tights is not a tunic.
a tunic is a non-stand-alone item (requires some kind of a trouser, where the class of trouser includes legging)
obv your personal height and modesty will therefore influence the classification

lostconfusedwhatnext Wed 05-Dec-12 11:59:21

squishy, I'm a lover not a fighter. As explained earlier, you are very welcome here and all over the great wide world as far as I am concerned, which is obv not very far at all as I am not in charge of anything, but please visualise me making big expansive arm gestures of inclusion and peace. Now, if not tunics, what are you interested in? what would you like to talk about? Homeland? Sausage rolls?

Absy Wed 05-Dec-12 12:00:15

My problem with tunics is that they're offered out with gay abandon as the only solution to clothing crises. "I'm 5'7" and a size 8 with big hips" "wear a tunic with leggings!" "I'm 2' 6" a size 93 and small feet" "wear a tunic with leggings!"

It ends up being uniformy and dull.

lostconfusedwhatnext Wed 05-Dec-12 12:01:36

Right Absy, that's it, you have nailed it.
They also always say, "and chunky necklace". WHY? Chunky necklaces are risky, not failsafe. Stop offering them up like universal panaceas.

lostconfusedwhatnext Wed 05-Dec-12 12:02:24

I think that is what I am judging in the tunic wearer: a (completely unjustified as well as subconscious) assumption that the wearer has picked her outfit on the basis that it is safe.

on reflection the issue here about the flattering-ness of tunics is based on what peoe envisage as a 'tunic' there will be flattering and unflattering tunics like any item of clothing.

If the op had been more accepting that for some a tunic with a flattering shape and length worn with good quality leggings and nice pair of leather boots can be a good look on someone. Even if the op prefers satin hotpants and a bikini top cos she is built like barbie... that would not have been so contoversial.

It is the dictatorial 'Thou shalt not wear tunics, lest you be rendereth Mumsy' thst offends. Closed statements only allow agreement or arguement there is no room for debate ... this is meant to be a forum.smile

Right, so hang on. i can't wear;

short tops
fitted tops
baggy tops
straight legs
wide legs
long skirts (too fat)
short skirts (too fat)

Aside from the long term solution of losing weight, what's my short term solution? Staying at home by the looks of it.

Amblin Wed 05-Dec-12 12:07:03

Lol at leggings make me feel sexy.

happybubblebrain Wed 05-Dec-12 12:09:28

They are comfortable and it's all about comfort when you get past 35. Nobody cares much what you look like.

I'm not prepared to be uncomfortable all day long on the off-chance that someone might look at me. And even if someone did judge me for my tunic/leggings combo I don't give a stuff what they think. They are probably just being miserable because they are uncomfortable.

merlottits Wed 05-Dec-12 12:14:04

I love tunics, with skinnies, flared jeans even...wait for it...leggings.

I'm a bit fat and feel more confident in them. I hope they never go 'out'.

What a lot of fashion nazis on the thread - nasty hmm

lost - exactly dresses should standalone so for 'chubby' tall women most 'dresses' are a non standalone item in that wearing them with just tights is too scary a prospect. whereas a nice thick legging does the job without excessive material bunching at the waist.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now