How-to books about style - anyone ever read a good one or do they not exist?

(16 Posts)
fridgepants Wed 12-Dec-12 00:24:59

Why don't you like it squoosh?

Fuckitthatlldo Thu 06-Dec-12 16:27:54

I had a flick through the Ines de la Fressange book last time I was having a coffee in Waterstones.

It was ok. A few interesting nuggets in there. Am not sharing her love for white jeans however. Also, a pencil skirt worn with flats would only ever suit the impossibly willowy and sylph-like.

I liked her focus on quality basics and classic dressing though. She certainly always looks very well dressed herself.

squoosh Thu 06-Dec-12 15:38:12

Already Pretty is the worst blog of all time! Ever.

PetFox Thu 06-Dec-12 15:06:30

Now I'm trying to decide by Parisian Chic (looks v stylish, is the one I would most like to read myself, and my friend is tall and thin so that part wouldn't bother her), What to Wear Where (because it looks to have the most practical advice and pictures) and Style Statement - which sounds the least clothes focused of them all but as I'm buying it because she really wants to have a personal style day done but has decided it's too expensive, seems like the book that comes closest to 'how to discover your own style'.

Anyway, thanks again!

Oh yeah, bore off the candley bit, but broadly speaking it is good. She does assume you are slim, but let's face it, if you buy a book called Parisian Chic written by a former supermodel then you can hardly be surprised by that!

Gillybobs Wed 05-Dec-12 20:40:57

I love the book "what to wear where" brilliant reference book of outfit ideas for loads of occasions. here

Caerlaverock Wed 05-Dec-12 17:56:38

Also ines de fushflange assumes thinness and tells you to get your vest tops from the kids section of petit bateau

Caerlaverock Wed 05-Dec-12 17:55:20

Ines de flangeface book is good but just an extended woman's mag article but contains all info you need. I lost I interest when she started babbling about buying candles 'n'shit

fridgepants Wed 05-Dec-12 17:47:50

Already Pretty, which is based on an excellent blog and really positive about all types of shapes and sizes.

YouLookFab.com is my fave blog for this.

mirpuppet Wed 05-Dec-12 14:50:25

Please send me the links as well SilverBaubles33 also has time on hands

PetFox Wed 05-Dec-12 08:31:27

Thanks all! Will have a look at those when I get to work later. It's for a present for somebody, so links aren't going to be enough - but would be interested to see the links myself smile

I liked Parisian Chic by Ines de la Fressange. Not incredibly in depth, but some very useful tips!

TheSandstoneCat Wed 05-Dec-12 05:18:37

Can I join the queue too, Silver - always looking for inspiration smile

wickedfairy Wed 05-Dec-12 05:03:05

Ooh, Silver, I would love to take a look at your links please! I am devoid of style and am looking to rectify this!

Sorry for thread hijack OP!

SilverBaubles33 Tue 04-Dec-12 23:21:24

Style Statement

Brilliant and unusual and thought provoking. Not a 'what to wear' but just so great for helping you focus on identifying your personal style philosophy.

Lots of American blogs do style guides. Happy to send you some links! Not that I've got too much time on my hands

PetFox Tue 04-Dec-12 21:39:25

The only "find your style" type books I can think of are by Trinny and Susannah. Anyone got any recommendations for others?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now