Nail top coats

(20 Posts)
WhoKnowsWhereTheMistletoes Thu 06-Dec-12 22:41:09

Trumpton Thu 06-Dec-12 22:37:14

I know !! << preens >>

ScienceRocks Thu 06-Dec-12 21:25:47

Just wanted to say thanks to those who recommended Sally Hansen InstaDry (could get it with my groceries unlike No 7, which is in my Christmas list). Three days in and no chips, despite much cooking and cleaning. You are all fab thanks

Mewsical Sun 02-Dec-12 20:48:52

The new Revlon one is brilliant. I have only used it with the new polish from the same range though.

WhoKnowsWhereTheMistletoes Sun 02-Dec-12 20:47:05

I never wear gloves for cleaning, except really messy things like the oven, it doesn't seem to make any difference to mine.

ScienceRocks Sun 02-Dec-12 20:43:13

I can wear gloves when cleaning, but it's more difficult when cooking (which I do, a lot). I keep catching my nails with the knife (though I suppose I should be glad I'm not lacerating my finger) and live in fear of it coming off when I knead dough or make pastry.

Beaverfeaver Sun 02-Dec-12 20:16:59

I always swore by nails inc caviar top coat, but found it often left bubbles and peeled off easily and so didn't last. I have just bought no7 stay perfect top coat and think its amazing. It's also much cheaper

WhoKnowsWhereTheMistletoes Sun 02-Dec-12 19:14:57

Mine still peel and flake a bit if I use nail varnish fairly constantly over a few months, despite using Nail Envy as a basecoat for the last year or so. I tend to give them a break for a week every now and then and generally use polish on toenails only for a lot of the summer (fingernails only through the winter, that way they both get a break).

I owe that tip to another kind MNer, it has made such a difference.

Nagoo Sun 02-Dec-12 18:55:40

wear gloves when you clean.

I never do this and mine chips like a bitch.

I also suffer with mine 'delaminating' as they peel.

If you use nail envy or similar, it will stop the peeling then as the nail grows stronger the polish will stay better.

ScienceRocks Sun 02-Dec-12 18:25:05

Great tip whoknows thank you.

WhoKnowsWhereTheMistletoes Sun 02-Dec-12 18:02:15

Insta Dry is what I meant, not Miracle Dry, not sure where that came from.

trumpton Sun 02-Dec-12 17:33:00

Sally Hansen Insta dry top coat here. It's fab .

WhoKnowsWhereTheMistletoes Sun 02-Dec-12 17:22:08

I'm using Sally Hansen Miracle Dry at the moment and also like Seche Vite. I've found the thing thst makes the biggest difference chipping wise us to wipe nails with nail varnish remover immediately before you use the basecoat. Before I started doing this I was lucky to get two days without chipping with either of these topcoats, now I get 6 or 7 days before it starts chipping.

ScienceRocks Sun 02-Dec-12 17:15:36

Do any of them stop chipping?

MooMinCow Sun 02-Dec-12 15:33:57

I would recommend Nails Inc Caviar TC, Seche Vite or Save The Nail 45 second TC. All dry the polish super quick and leave a lovely wet look glossy hard wearing finish smile

valiumredhead Sun 02-Dec-12 15:17:47

Pinot on here told me about it - it's fab stuff and makes the varnish dry SO quickly!

ScienceRocks Sun 02-Dec-12 14:50:28

No 7 again, eh? I'll give it a go! Thank you!

germyrabbit Sun 02-Dec-12 12:33:49

i use nails inc caviar top coat as it dries nail polish vv quickly! doesn't particularly stop chipping but i've found OPI polish the best for staying power.

sorry that prob wasn't much help

valiumredhead Sun 02-Dec-12 12:31:39

YY you need the No 7 Stay Perfect top coat - it is FANTASTIC!!!!!!!

ScienceRocks Sun 02-Dec-12 11:59:01

At the ripe old age of 36, I've decided to start doing my fingernails - a vain attempt to spruce up my look and be a little more stylish grin

I love how dark nail polish looks on my hands, and so far I haven't had any problems with staining (my No 7 base coat seems to be doing the job) but it is chipping really quickly, so is proving much more high maintenance than I anticipated.

Does anyone know of a really good top coat that will solve this problem? Or any other tips that might help?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now