Where the frig can I buy boots? Or do I need to leave out some leather overnight and wait for a visit from elves?

(32 Posts)
44SoStartingOver Thu 29-Nov-12 18:35:54

I have fairly big calves. Am not overweight, but q tall and q muscular from the gym. Plus one leg is bigger than the other after some surgery (I'm so sexy!).

Wider leg boots in regular shops are just a bit snug on one leg and I struggle with zip on the other.

Wider leg boots from places like Evans are too wide and flop about when I walk.

Add to this, the boots flap around my delicate ankles (ha!).

So that leaves elasticy boots, which don't feel v comfy. Apart from my 7 year old pair which look a bit dated.

I know duo get great revies, but that's q spendy, and if they make them to measure, surely you can't just return them? Or can you?

And if I love them, I need to pay for them.

Argh! Any ideas?

YDdraigGoch Thu 29-Nov-12 18:44:47

Duo are great. I have two pairs. Pricey, but have lasted years. I don't know if you can buy different size boots there though. Worth asking.

YDdraigGoch Thu 29-Nov-12 18:45:39

Ps. Duo not made to measure. They have loads in stock in the shop in Bath.

badguider Thu 29-Nov-12 18:50:08

I'm a massive fan of duo but this year i've found some next boots which are cheap and a bit nasty but i couldn't find what i needed in duo this year. (the next ones will last me this year and hopefully they'll have better styles in duo next year)

anyway, the next ones are fake leather and elastic stripes so i think they'll sort out your two-sized issue.. will try to find a link, hang on...

badguider Thu 29-Nov-12 18:54:14

here: www.next.co.uk/g653128s2#766226g65 really really elasticy... i have super huge calf muscles but slim ankles and tiny feet (stupid mountain biking) and these hug my leg nicely.

44SoStartingOver Thu 29-Nov-12 20:20:33

Oo thankyou bad guider!

I do see that I sound like a mutant!

As for duo, for those prices, I actually expect magic elves, but I accept they just carry a wide range of sizes! We are miles from bath though, so would have to be online.

Thanks

44SoStartingOver Thu 29-Nov-12 20:21:42

Argh! All sold out sadface

suebfg Thu 29-Nov-12 20:54:01

These are lovely boots, the leather is buttery soft and they are adjustable. I think they're the nicest boots I've had - and I have Duo ones too

www.johnlewis.com/343039/Product.aspx

MrsLHofstadter Thu 29-Nov-12 20:56:40

I was just about to start this thread, watching with interest.

44SoStartingOver Thu 29-Nov-12 21:23:40

Those boots look v nice - great heel. Sold out of my flipper feet size.

Maybe I should try the tranny websites?

DerbyNottsLeicsNightNanny Thu 29-Nov-12 21:33:18

I bought some lovely boots yesterday from Jones Bootmaker. I am size 8/10 but have chunky calves from the gym plus biggish feet for my height. They are generous in the calves without feeling/looking baggy. Plenty of room to wear over skinny jeans or leggings.

www.jonesbootmaker.com/main/details/RIDLEY_Brown/00730624A37

May not be everyones cup of tea but I really like them! They look better in rl than on website

44SoStartingOver Thu 29-Nov-12 21:37:32

Those look nice, but I am far from 8/10 so fear there would not be room for serious calves.

I'll end up in bloody wellies

suebfg Thu 29-Nov-12 21:52:06

Don't buy anything from Dune - their boots are really narrow

soaccidentprone Thu 29-Nov-12 22:04:19

these?

not sure about the studs!

the cheapest ones

splash the cash

One of my work colleagues got a pair of pleather and elasticated boots from Sainsburys - but they had a 2 1/2 heel. Depends on how much you want to spend - but the some of the John Lewis ones currently have 20% off.

These Doc M. boots might work? Too casual for you?

Amazon

What size of feet?

tiokiko Fri 30-Nov-12 09:14:44

You can definitely return Duo if bought online but need to pay - I think you can do Collect+ for £3.99.

lynniep Fri 30-Nov-12 09:26:37

I'm always pushing fly http://www.javari.co.uk/Fly-London-Womens-Platforms-Boots/dp/B007MJK4QW/275-7174753-2819823?ie=UTF8&suppressRedirect=1 They are leather (and unlike most fly boots appear to be waterproof) but have the elastic strip all the way up so can stretch to a bigger calf. They also have no saggy ankles. Very comfy, but not for wide feet.

lynniep Fri 30-Nov-12 09:27:38

My link is cr*p. I will try again beam

DazedAndVeryConfused Fri 30-Nov-12 10:29:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

QueefLatina Fri 30-Nov-12 11:49:12

I got some knee highs from boden a couple of years ago. I have average size legs I think and they are quite loose on me so boden may be worth a try?

slug Fri 30-Nov-12 12:33:07

Timberland boots I find are generous of calf and come in flipper sizes.

44SoStartingOver Fri 30-Nov-12 16:52:19

I do indeed have flipper size 8s!

slug Fri 30-Nov-12 17:07:12

Welcome to the club. Mine are wide too <<sigh>>

I have a pair of Duo boots which have been my wardrobe staple for 4 years now. I'm wearing today a pair of boots that not only lace up at the back (thus letting the fat of the calf ease in) but also are woolly inside. Discrete shuffling at my desk has failed to bring the brand name into view. <<contemplates taking one off and waving it around>> I've also had luck with the afore mentioned Timberlands, though this was a few years ago and the ones on their website at the moment are positively yeti like in appearance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now