Want to try to lose half a stone by Xmas - are you in??

(395 Posts)
Joycey29 Tue 27-Nov-12 07:08:25

So I m up for a little Xmas weight loss! Basically, I know at Xmas I put on weight so want to be well below my 'buffer zone' to enable me to join the festivities. Also want to look good in my Christmas party wear!
Useless on my own, need support to keep me on track!
Anyone in.............

laptopdancer Sun 09-Dec-12 18:14:13

Went shopping with the family today and where is DH desperate to go? A bloody buffet restaurant with all the high calorie food you could name.
So, back on the rails tomorrow! (and I will have to run my fat little legs off)

AsparagusFern Sun 09-Dec-12 18:21:19

Hi all

Big congrats on everyone's weight loss...!

For those whose weight loss is slowing down..... I totally empathise!

I lost almost six pounds in the first two weeks, however - first few days I was losing OVER a pound, then a pound a day, then 0.8 lb, then half a pound, and now I'm down to losing 0.2 lb a day - even though my diet has been the same the odd big bender aside

To achieve this 0.2 lb loss, I have to be really strict and eat on or under my 1200 calorie limit. Am keeping on keeping on though!

AsparagusFern Sun 09-Dec-12 18:31:15

movingforward You asked about any other low GI tips.

My diet at the mo is full of stuff like:

- eggs
- tomatoes
- rocket / watercress (salad with an oomph, basically, as iceberg gets so dull)
- feta and mozarrella cheese
- olives
- avocados
- prawns
- chicken
- salmon and smoked salmon (when I can afford)
- blueberries, raspberries
- porridge oats for brekkie and oat cakes for snacks
- sweet potatoes
- rye crackers / bread
- hummous

All are low GI and it really seems to be working. I really don't feel hungry, and my craving for sugar seems to have genuinely gone down (big aim of low GI).

There were two family sized tins of Celebrations and Roses at work the other day and I didn't have a single choc! Totally out of character / unprecedented behaviour I am actually amazed! I really think GI works if you really need to get control back over sugar/carb cravings.

AsparagusFern Sun 09-Dec-12 18:33:19

karma Though that doesn't make me still go hmmm when I read the words 'Dime bar'!

plaingirly Sun 09-Dec-12 18:48:01

I love Dime Bars! Wonder how many calories are in one - sure I could fit one into my allowance!

AsparagusFern Sun 09-Dec-12 18:50:40

Aargh Dime bars are the best!! And that Milka Dime bar chocolate.....heaven! (Sorry..not helping matters am I? smile)

laptopdancer Sun 09-Dec-12 18:51:37

Im sure that mentioning dime bars is breaking mumsnet talk guidelines :p wink

ceeveebee Sun 09-Dec-12 18:54:23

Movingforward I am 9st8 now. I used to be 8 1/2 stone size 8 before I had my twins, went up to 13 1/2 stone!! Most of it was baby and fluid but its taken a long time to get back down again, and I just want to be a size 10. I think I need to get down to 9stone to be a 10.

AsparagusFern Sun 09-Dec-12 18:59:08

laptop Yes, I feel like reporting my own post!

plaingirly Sun 09-Dec-12 19:33:27

Only 155 calories - entirely possible!!

AsparagusFern Sun 09-Dec-12 19:44:52

DEFFO possible grin

Joycey29 Sun 09-Dec-12 21:20:34

Have fallen off wagon!
DH with manflu, survived all day, porridge, roast with plenty if veg and then....
An entire box of Co-op's finest cheese straws washed down with wine!
Typical! I blame DH! hmm

AsparagusFern Sun 09-Dec-12 21:40:40

Ah fret not joycey - what are Sundays for if not cheese straws and red wine. Tomorrow is another day!

fedupofnamechanging Mon 10-Dec-12 07:58:01

Have put on over a pound since yesterday, having eaten 2 dime bars and a handful of galaxy counters (which I don't even like!)

Drastic measures called for, so am going completely cold turkey on the cooc until Christmas!

Really want to be 9st at Christmas but donif 't know if it is doable now.

HelgatheHairy Mon 10-Dec-12 08:46:36

I've fallen off the wagon. I think from now on I'm just going to focus on maintaining, rather than putting pressure on myself to lose. I don't have any willpower against Baileys coffee with brandy cream!

QuinnFabray Mon 10-Dec-12 09:30:34

Right, I'm back on it today. Quite honestly, I'd rather lose and gain the same two pounds over and over again, than keep on gaining one two pounds after another ( if that makes sense!).

So, I started at 9.6 and a half, lost two pounds in the first week, gained two pounds in the second week. So this week I'm going to lose that same two pounds again!

Movingforward123 Mon 10-Dec-12 09:34:10

ceev how tall are you? I am 5,2 and need to be around 9 stone to be a size 10 too.

Only 13 lbs to go for me now smile as yesterday I hit the half stone mark but was unsure if it was just because I has alone alcohol the night before, but I weighed myself today and I'm now 9.13.6 gringrin so half stone done! So for Christmas I should be able to get down to 9.9 and will be really happy.

What exercise is everyone doing? I need to start going to the gym but keep putting it off. I should have went this morning but wussed out. I know as I loose weight my belly will look like a deflated balloon! hmm

Movingforward123 Mon 10-Dec-12 09:36:25

helga I have wanted to loose weight for about two years, but was in the right frame of mind. Tried many diets but lost basically nothing as wasn't ready. So if your not ready maintenance would be a better idea until you can give it a go! Try not to feel bad as that makes you eat more!

Movingforward123 Mon 10-Dec-12 09:38:28

karma I am a absolute chocoholic! If there's chocolate I have to finish it all! So I had to stop it completely! Well I had 2 twixs in the last two weeks. But instead of chocolate I am having chocolate flavours snack a jack, they are massive and only 61 cals, maybe you should get done of those?

Madmog Mon 10-Dec-12 10:51:01

Joycey29, today is a new start. I was really good on Saturday and even though tea was about to be cooked, scoffed a load of peanuts (they were meant to be for Xmas and only lasted eight hours in the house without being opened) with some wine!

Spons Mon 10-Dec-12 10:57:24

I lost this thread! Have lost 3lbs, I'm v pleased! Another 3 before Xmas would be fab, this thread has really helped though. Thinking of other people has stopped me going to greggs in more than one occasion!! I think today might be a naughty day (cake for breakfast) but I'm doubling up on gym classes the rest if the week to compensate!

Well done and thanks everyone!

laptopdancer Mon 10-Dec-12 11:44:42

movingforward I am 5 foot 2 and find I have to be 8 stone to be size 10! Odd eh?

laptopdancer Mon 10-Dec-12 11:45:20

Anyway, Im back on board the weight loss train after yesterdays buffet disaster. smile

ceeveebee Mon 10-Dec-12 13:28:49

Movingforward and laptopdancer I am also 5ft2 - spooky!
8 stone for me is a 6/8.

fedupofnamechanging Mon 10-Dec-12 15:01:33

Will have a look at the snack a jacks, for emergencies, but think I am going to try going without completely, until Christmas. I have been finding that one choc bar doesn't satisfy me and once I've had one, I just want to keep on going!

I have read on MN that sugar is toxic and once you have it, you just crave it more, so think I am going to try cutting out all sugar except naturally occurring ones, like in fruit.

Would be so happy if I could reach my target by Christmas and since there are only 2 weeks left I really have to get my arse into gear and stop messing about, if I want to stand any chance at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now