Has anyone here used shoe dye?

(9 Posts)
FunBagFreddie Fri 23-Nov-12 17:24:47

Hi, I was wondering if anyone here has used leather/shoe dye.

I have a lovely pair of boots, but I stupidly left them on the shoe rack all summer and the back of one of them is badly sun-bleached. I love them and the leather is so soft and they have moulded perfectly to my feet. Just a really good quality, classic pair of pull-on riding boots. sad

I wondered if there was such a thing as leather/shoe dye and Googled it - it turns out there is. I'm nervous about using it though. So, have any of you lot given it a go.

nextphase Fri 23-Nov-12 18:48:30

I've never done it myself, but these guys did shoes to match a bridemaid dress I had to wear, and I then sent them back to get them dyes black, and a great job they have done.

Its not cheep, but might be worth it if you don't want to risk it yourself?

if the boots are wrecked anyway, something is worth a go? Shoe polish won't cover it? Or not that type of boots?

FunBagFreddie Fri 23-Nov-12 18:54:24

Spot on! Thanks nextphase, that's much better than a DIY job. smile

UML Fri 23-Nov-12 20:00:56

Can you not simply use a matching coloured shoe leather cream?

UML Fri 23-Nov-12 20:02:43

You can get pricier ones too, and use them regulary to restore colour and protect against the elements...

But I am not an expert!

UML Fri 23-Nov-12 20:07:16

My husband bought some black shoe cream for his work shoes and I used it on some black leather shoes of mine
that were scuffed etc, and they now look nearly new...

Mewsical Fri 23-Nov-12 20:55:31

After a fair bit of research I discovered that Dylon shoe dye is not very successful and my cobbler didn't dye anymore. I have an expensive pair of boots that I wanted to change the colour of but had a cheaper pair of (also leather) boots to experiment on.

Feber(sp dye (I bought from ebay) is brilliant. It transformed my boots and made them wearable again...although I did aim for dark brown, so not much room for error there.

Leafmould Fri 23-Nov-12 20:59:58

What colour?

I used it on my dd navy shoes when the new school insisted on black. It ran a lot so the shoes carried on looking blue and stained her socks.

FunBagFreddie Sat 24-Nov-12 10:52:18

UML - I don't think it would work, as the boots are a reddish brown and the faded part has lightened a lot.

Thanks Mewsical - I have seen lots of leather dyes on Ebay, so I'll probably give it a go. Failing that, I'll probably send them off to that shoe place. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now