Highlights, I have dark brown hairy yay or nay?

(14 Posts)
freakazoidroid Thu 22-Nov-12 20:43:02

Basically I have brown hair and have quite a lot of grey which I dye with an all over tint.
I was thinking if I had highlights it may be easier to disguise the grey.

shopafrolic Thu 22-Nov-12 20:45:41

Yes yes yes. I have dam brown hair but now have highlights out through it to break it up a bit. When the grey starts to come through it is much less noticeable now. The trick I think is to avoid going too ginger, my hairdresser puts a toner on it once highlighted to blend the highlights and tint a bit better...... Not sure how easy it might be to do at home though......

shopafrolic Thu 22-Nov-12 20:46:26

Dark not dam - Freudian iPad slip!!

MrsRogerSterling Thu 22-Nov-12 20:48:20

Yes, I have them, just keep them subtle so they are not to high maintenance. I have mine done 3 times a year alternating between a whole and half head of highlights each time.

freakazoidroid Thu 22-Nov-12 21:40:16

So does your hair look blond now?

MrsRogerSterling Thu 22-Nov-12 22:04:31

No, not blonde just lighter, in the summer I have a few blonder ones around the front but I don't want to be blonde as that would be too high maintenance for me.

shopafrolic Thu 22-Nov-12 22:09:49

Mine is also just a few shades lighter overall. Still brown just with lighter brown pieces. Blonde would not suit me at all!

CabbageLeaves Thu 22-Nov-12 22:12:34

Lowlights?
I have foils with one colour of coppery brown interspersed with a honey blonde. Looks lovely. It's my big luxury in life

I had caramel done in the summer looked fab wish id done it years ago - was a true caramel gold - think of the inside of a twix!!

jessiegeesusinamanger Fri 23-Nov-12 09:51:08

I definitely find it easier to hide the grey with highlights. I have v dark brown hair and have a half head of deep coppery highlights. They add warmth and interest without being too bright as well as camouflaging any greys.

ENormaSnob Fri 23-Nov-12 10:03:41

No.

I have v dark hair, blacky brown colour and cool colouring. Had highlights in the summer and hated them. They looked really odd tbh.

Guess it depends on your colouring overall.

Valdeeves Sat 24-Nov-12 08:48:48

Type in caramel highlights on dark brown hair info google images you can see loads of ideas. My sister has classic Kste Middleton dark hair and had caramel through it very subtlety. Looks amazing. She's olive skinned.

MikeLitoris Sat 24-Nov-12 09:05:55

Ive booked an appointment to have this done but not sure if I will go through with it.

In my head i will come out looking like this

The reality is probably more like www.google.co.uk/search?q=brown+hair+caramel+highlights&hl=en&tbo=d&source=android-browser-type&v=200400000&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=goqwUIisM8ix0AWU34CABQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=360&bih=567&sei=h4qwUOP6KMO40QXv3YDIDQ#p=1this

MikeLitoris Sat 24-Nov-12 09:10:33

Ffs. Ignore those links. My phone is being a tit this morning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now