A bob question

(13 Posts)
IslaValargeone Wed 21-Nov-12 20:50:03

Had my hair cut today, shoulder length with layers and I have a fringe.
The longest layer is about chin length and I was playing around with it and was deliberating whether to have a bob.
Are bobs in/out/crap/mumsy? and what is the deal with those that go up at the back? Does that need to happen? I think I still need to hold on to the possibility of a pony tail for worst case scenario hair days.

IslaValargeone Fri 23-Nov-12 12:57:02

I'll presume bobs are a no no then.

Well i for one love love a really good bob, but i find thatthe hairdresser has really got to know what they're doing and "get" the look you're after.

Last month i had my longish hair cut to 3 centimetres-ish under my ears and added a very long fringe (think dog with fur in eyes) (but the fringe needs a tiny trim), and i feel so much better than with longer hair that just does nothing, i was fed up with not really having a haircut that i just went for it.

I have naturally straight hair but if i need to look tidy for work then i just straiten it for sleek, and at the weekend either make it go wavy or pin it back leaving the fringe nice and shiny smile

If you have a good hairdresser then i'd say yes get cutting!

Didn't anwser your last questions : I'm not a fan of bobs that are shorer at the back, they look dated (to me) .

Don't think that ponytail length needs to be the be all and end all for bad hair days : hair grips/bands save my bacon if i cant be bothered to wash my hair at the weekend.. i love shorter bobs though!

IslaValargeone Fri 23-Nov-12 13:15:56

Your style sounds like just the type of thing I might be looking for.
I think finding the good hairdresser might be the issue.
Thanks for answering smile

If i was feeling brave i'd put a photo on my profile to show you how it looks, not sure how to do it though..

Posted a(n upside down) photo to give you an idea.

IslaValargeone Fri 23-Nov-12 16:14:54

OOh, tres chic Madame, tres chic.

Did myself a mischief trying to look at it grin

PetFox Fri 23-Nov-12 16:31:42

I love bobs, and it's a classic style so doesn't date in general, but I do think those ones that go up really high and layered at the back look dated now. I especially love dark bobs with fringes and have one myself.

There are many many bobs on this Pinterest board if you want inspiration!

PetFox Fri 23-Nov-12 16:34:38

And I don't reckon they're mumsy cut by a good hairdresser. I'm 30, not a mum, and don't think I look mumsy with my bob.

Peggotty Fri 23-Nov-12 19:49:29

I had my long hair cut into a layered graduated bob and it was the best thing I've done for ages. I don't think it looks dated (it's like the blonde bob third down/along on the pinterest board that someone linked to further up). Not mumsy at all - I felt far more mumsy with long style-less hair!!

Hopefully Fri 23-Nov-12 20:52:38

I have an asymmetric bob (shorter at the back) and it doesn't feel dated, but it suits my face shape/personality really well, which helps it look like me rather than me doing a trend, iykwim. I normally keep mine quote textured and choppy, but occasionally have it sleek for work.

StickEmUp Fri 23-Nov-12 21:01:04

Im a hairdresser and the bon is my favourite style ever. Nowadays you can have it more angled to be more modern, or straighter for a classic look.
Ive got short hair but grew q bob for my wedding. Te only style in my book that will still look okay in years to come.

I shaved it after lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now