Crepeys do Christmas...

(1000 Posts)
oldqueenie Sun 18-Nov-12 15:03:08

Will this fit the bill. Dull but seasonal?

Blackduck Thu 06-Dec-12 12:41:50

alto1 - congrats on the good news.
I will join 'cold house' group too...(what do you expect living on a hill...)
Love the link wilbur - very tempted too! Trouble is dp can ignore piles of crap for the longest time - pretty sure I would crack first.

We are waiting on car news as that effects potentially going away - I have resigned myslef tot he fact it isn't happening.

I am doing the tombola at the school christmas fair and need to make buy a cake for it too. Other than that I intend to do bugger all this weekend.

On advent note - ds was most unimpressed by the £1 coin this morning - bad mummy, must try harder!

bigTillyMincePie Thu 06-Dec-12 13:19:39

Herbs, that is the one thing I miss about not having a small child - the Christmas show. I bet it will be luverlysmile

Alto, glad your DH is doing better and sympathy for everyone with colds/cold houses. Victorian terraced houses aren't too bad to keep warmsmile

BD, does your DS get a present every day? Mine just get the mini choccie! But a colleague found a fab advent calendar with little animals in it for his class. He's a really nice teacher and is taking the class skating next week at the Natural History museumenvy

herbaceous Thu 06-Dec-12 14:05:39

I am expecting to cry, embarrassingly. And have little prickles of 'competitive mum' regarding the quality of singing and cuteness of child.

DS will be sporting this hideous monstrosity from, natch, Sainsbury's. I did see at least one home-made costume arrive with the children this morning, so I do hope cats bums faces aren't coming my way.

Blackduck Thu 06-Dec-12 18:48:51

Hi BTM, yes, it is a chest with little drawers, and they have to be filled! We have done (in the past) socks, choc, notes, coins, lip balm, small tree gifts etc. but it is a pita! (My dad bought it!!)

bigTillyMincePie Thu 06-Dec-12 19:18:33

Herbs, so cuuuuteenvy

Yes, my DM made us a fabric pocket one. I only ever managed to get chocolates to put in it. They were Christmas ones though. Wonder where it is now...

DH is insisting we get our tree on Sunday, BEFORE his birthdayshock

herbaceous Fri 07-Dec-12 16:16:05

I'm off Up West this evening. Some friends have a spare ticket to the Mikado at the Coliseum. Set in a Marx Brothers' style 1930s hotel! Should be larks. I dread to think how much the ticket is, though. They're not known for their frugality.

I was out last night, too, at a meal with my choir at the local catering college. It was cooked and served by the students, and we sang carols to them (in four-part harmony, natch) afterwards. Good fun. I got quite drunk, and made masterchef-type comments about the food. I'm addicted to Michel Roux.

oldqueenie Fri 07-Dec-12 16:55:16

hands off herbs, he's mine i tell you, miiiiiiine.

motherinferior Fri 07-Dec-12 20:49:02

Hello my lovely crepuscular friends! I am COLD (I think our heating isn't working very well, which is a bit worrying as we had highly expensive new boiler installed recently) but at least getting into swing of seasonal purchases. Including, ahem, yielding to this little number which, yes, has buttons but is rather fab IMO, if sadly twice the price of its not so nice woolover equivalent...

rubyrubyruby Fri 07-Dec-12 21:24:25

I do tissue paper with ribbon parcels and a gift tag date for mine.

Mostly chocolate, the odd pound coin and increasing size in the days leading up to Christmas. smile

I have poured wine and just about to open the school reports

rubyrubyruby Fri 07-Dec-12 21:25:18

Oh - and I finished work today!!!!

Blackduck Sat 08-Dec-12 07:05:57

Ruby I hate you...

Car is repaired, another £700 so there goes any thought of sometime away before Christmas. I have had NO holiday this year, I am fraying at the edges.....

I NEED some down time crepeys...........

And I still haven't done any Christmas shopping.

bigTillyMincePie Sat 08-Dec-12 14:16:51

Rubyenvy
MI love the jacket!

Am feeling rather smug as I have manafed to find two lovely prezzies for my two lovely colleagues in the local market. There does seem to be a plethora of crafty markets round here this year - all very tempting!

CointreauVersial Sat 08-Dec-12 23:50:03

All this talk of inventive and crafty advent calendars is making me feel inadequate as a mother. Mine got chocolate advent calendars from Poundland this year.blush There have been no complaints.

Sympathies on the lack of holiday, BD. If you are after a quick and cheap break, have a look at Premier Inn, who are doing rooms for £29 a night. If you pick somewhere random a couple of hours drive away you can have a relatively inexpensive three day / two night break, which might be enough to recharge your batteries. We have booked a night away between Christmas and New Year (which is always a bit of a dull time); we stuck a pin in a map, and we're off to Bristol, woo hoo.

herbaceous Sun 09-Dec-12 09:06:13

I haven't got an advent calender at all - chocolate or crafty - so feel uber-inadequate. I've been finding it hard to get into the Christmassy spirit, with nowhere to put a tree or cook nice food.

And, get this. The builders are now cracking on apace with the kitchen. Five of them here yesterday, with one fixing all the worktops in place. Worktop of very very expensive iroko, carefully measured to fit the space. They somehow managed to totally ignore both my instructions and common sense, and cut four out of five pieces of worktop too short, so they are all useless. That's about £700-worth.

I am FUMING. The builder is, oddly, not answering his phone. I wanted this kitchen finished by Christmas. It was supposed to be finished by 1 December. AAAGGG.

bigTillyMincePie Sun 09-Dec-12 10:55:50

Herbsshock Surely the builder is liable for the costs if it is them that have f'd up? But if he's not answering his phone....

<<off to google iroko>>

SantasBitch Sun 09-Dec-12 12:25:55

I have had an awful week, which among other things, involved the death of a friend (he died in May and we have only just found out, as we have no mutual friends). Went out last night to a friend's for Christmas drinks/housewarming. Due to my lack of gall bladder, sometimes I don't need to have much to drink before throwing up (eg four regular glasses of wine and no drunk phase - which is all it took last night) and it comes on unexpectedly. I managed to cover their nice new bathroom in puke and block their sink. It was awful. DH is decidedly unimpressed with my behaviour, particularly as I still feel sick, and he wanted to go shopping this afternoon. And apparently no-one else is capable of making lunch...

herbaceous Sun 09-Dec-12 13:21:51

Oh Mrs SB, that's awful. And not just the puke-blocked sink.

Further builder joy. Miraculously, boss builder agreed to pick up the tab for the worktop, and to re-do it.

The one piece that was actually OK is where the sink is going. Carpenter wanted to know if sink drainer was on left or right. It's obviously on right, as tap holes are at the back. DP tried to call me to ask, and told carpenter to wait. But he cut the hole anyway, for a left-hand drainer sink. With tap holes at the front. So now every single bit of worktop is wrong.

FFS. angry

CointreauVersial Sun 09-Dec-12 14:28:51

Aargh, Herbs, what a fiasco. Strangely, the worktops were the easiest bit of our kitchen; the granite people were in and out in a matter of minutes, and they supplied the sink too, so no holes to get wrong. Our main kitchen "challenge" was the apparent inability of the kitchen designer to take accurate measurements; the wall cupboards (if put up to his design) would have overhung the window by about 10cm; thank heavens we had a wonder chippy on site who managed to remedy the situation. There were also lots of random gaps that shouldn't have been there, but he cleverly created a towel alcove and a little space to stack trays and chopping boards. Strangely, the designer could not be reached once the kitchen had been delivered.....

But if you're onto worktops you must surely be in the home straight?

SantasBitch Sun 09-Dec-12 15:02:17

Herbs, what you are going through is my nightmare - if we are moving back to London next summer (which is looking increasingly likely) we will need a new kitchen, as ours is 25 years old, plus new bathrooms. The pound signs are flashing before my eyes as I type. On the plus side, at least we will get rid of the hideous beige suite and gold taps in the en suite...

herbaceous Sun 09-Dec-12 15:02:47

V much home straight, yes. Just lights, plinths, cupboard doors, hood ducting, trap for the sink, plumbing for washing machine and dishwasher, and of course worktop.

Bugger me.

Blackduck Sun 09-Dec-12 19:11:27

Oh MrsS sorry to hear....why was DH so huffy - not you fault surely?!
I have done school fair, tombola was under siege and we finished in an hour and 20 mins having sold every single ticket!! There was one prize they all wanted and by coincidence the winning ticket was in the last 10!!!
CV I am planning a couple of days with a mate - Christmas shopping, nights out, lots of chat....

rubyrubyruby Sun 09-Dec-12 21:12:52

Oh god MrsS - that sounds awful!

Glad you are getting away for a few days BD. We are looking to book a few days between Christmas and New Year too CV - probably coastal as I love a winter beach.

Herbs - you are nearly there!

bigTillyMincePie Sun 09-Dec-12 21:33:18

SB, sorry you had a crap week and are still feeling sick.
Herbs, BD is right - you are nearly there - hang in there!
BD, CV and ruby envy at your twixmas breaks - we often do a couple of nights in a nice hotel courtesy of Tesco vouchers with our good friends, but owing to not having enough this year, they are coming to us. Which will be lovely, but not quite as relaxing as a nice hotelsmile

DC's decorated the tree, played with the nativity sethmm and are now watching X-Factor final...

SantasBitch Sun 09-Dec-12 21:35:17

Oh apparently I shouldn't drink with the tablets I am on... as it can cause severe vomiting. So there's my answer. Have erred on the side of caution and have had neither alcohol nor tablets today, but pain has come back with a vengeance. <Sighs heavily>

Had the usual cheery conversation tonight with my mother. The neighbour of one of her friends (so not someone she knows) had a massive heart attack and died while delivering Christmas cards. Her sister's cancer is terminal. Her brother now has cancer too, but she doesn't think it's serious (she sounded almost sorry). Told her about friend's death (she had met him), but she brushed this away as unimportant. Got tirade about "those Asians in the post office" overcharging. I decided at this point that I really didn't want to hear any more, so told her I was having an early night and would call her in the week.

DH and the DDs are being a pain. I think I'll just leave home...

Blackduck Tue 11-Dec-12 07:17:31

MrsS sorry life is a bit crap at the moment. Did you get your knee sorted? I was told it was age! Although the knock didn't help. Had it x-rayed yesterday.
One of my reasons for going to a mate for a couple of days (who only lives in the city I work in) was because I just want a couple of mornings not dealing with lost socks, dirty kitchens and mislaid end homework. And a few evenings not thinking about cooking....otherwise I will be running away with you.

This thread is not accepting new messages.